Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2023, 05:59 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Heavy airline traffic doesn't mean Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Detroit, etc., are major tourist destinations.

But a LACK of airline traffic does suggest that NO isn't one.

It's a very worthwhile city to visit, and certainly unique. I'm not sure it makes my top five though. NY, SF, Boston, Miami....a bunch of options for the last one.
How so?

Venice is considered by many to be the most beautiful city in the world. It is clearly a destination city. Yet it isn’t even in the top 40 airports in Europe by passenger traffic.

NY and SF yes. Maybe Miami. I would not suggest Boston over New Orleans to an international visitor, but that’s just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 08:09 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Venice is packed due to trains and cruise ships. Plane travel doesn't matter as much there.

Further, a large percentage of its visitors are on day trips, as part of a string of multiple places. People don't fly overseas just to go to Venice.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:18 PM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
If we’re talking international destinations, then I would say New York, New Orleans, and San Francisco. That’s it.

For domestic, I would include Los Angeles, Chicago, DC, Miami, Vegas, Boston, Seattle, and maybe a couple others.
New Orleans ahead of Miami, LA and DC? Explain?

Old 05-01-2023, 12:45 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
New Orleans ahead of Miami, LA and DC? Explain?
I probably should have added LA to the top tier. I initially dinged it for not being super user friendly for tourism. I know a lot of people visit and end up being disappointed partly because of lack of due diligence. That said, if you do the leg work, it’s certainly worth it.

DC I overlooked all the world class museums. That would probably round out my top 5.

Miami I know gets a lot of visitors though I haven’t heard anyone really rave about it. I haven’t been myself so I’m not sure if it would be considered a must see for someone from say Europe or Asia.

New Orleans is super unique and really one of a kind. I think the rich culture, history, architecture, culinary heritage would impress people from other countries in a way that most US cities wouldn’t.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:38 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Quote:
I probably should have added LA to the top tier. I initially dinged it for not being super user friendly for tourism. I know a lot of people visit and end up being disappointed partly because of lack of due diligence. That said, if you do the leg work, it’s certainly worth it.

DC I overlooked all the world class museums. That would probably round out my top 5.

Miami I know gets a lot of visitors though I haven’t heard anyone really rave about it. I haven’t been myself so I’m not sure if it would be considered a must see for someone from say Europe or Asia.

New Orleans is super unique and really one of a kind. I think the rich culture, history, architecture, culinary heritage would impress people from other countries in a way that most US cities wouldn’t.
Lol….you really should stop.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-01-2023 at 04:54 AM..

Old 05-01-2023, 05:17 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

Oh I’m sure it would but I don’t think it’s as known or as visored as the cities i mentioned. The French quarter is neat, like for four hours. After that it’s basically downtown austin with better food and music.

Not a fan of Miami but it’s got a unique culture and is world renowned. I think people view New Orleans as a neat regional city. Not a must visit internationally

Old 05-01-2023, 07:09 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Huh?

How is visiting a city for a conference different than "tourism"?

It's not an outlandish idea to suggest that Seattle, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Houston are equal or bigger destination cities than New Orleans...
In terms of what makes a “destination city” a conference doesn’t count. I’m certainly not gonna count Seattle or Houston.

Atlanta was my #11, Philly was my #12. I had atl but had to remember to replace it with ORL.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Oh I’m sure it would but I don’t think it’s as known or as visored as the cities i mentioned. The French quarter is neat, like for four hours. After that it’s basically downtown austin with better food and music.

Not a fan of Miami but it’s got a unique culture and is world renowned. I think people view New Orleans as a neat regional city. Not a must visit internationally
I heard so much French and saw (mostly heard) many other international tourists there. It’s also a major destination for AMERICANS. Most of its image is based in and off tourism and partying a la Vegas.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:

You haven’t heard anyone rave about Miami? That’s not really believable bruh..also I’m pretty sure Miami is popular with Europeans.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:34 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This list from 2019 shares a good idea of international destinations. (I shared top 20).

30 Most Visited Cities in the U.S. by Foreigners
https://www.yahoo.com/now/30-most-vi...145000465.html

Things have changed since 2019, and most cities are nowhere near their previous highs, but still a general idea of order.

The buildup to 2026 (USA Birthday, World Cup, etc.) should post healthy international recovery numbers.

1 New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ MD 10,288,000
2 Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, FL MD 5,211,000
3 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA MD 4,645,000
4 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL MSA 4,415,000
5 San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, CA MD 3,308,000
6 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV MSA 2,989,000
7 Honolulu, HI MSA 2,751,000
8 Washington (DC Metro Area), DC-MD-VA 1,907,000
9 Boston-Quincy, MA MD 1,567,000
10 Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL MD 1,491,000
11 Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, FL MD 982,000
12 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA MSA 881,000
13 Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA MD 844,000
14 Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA 828,000
15 Flagstaff, AZ MSA 731,000
16 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA 727,000
17 Philadelphia, PA MSA 703,000
18 Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, CA MD 630,000
19 Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX MSA 610,000
20 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA 610,000
Flagstaff, AZ gets more tourists than Anaheim, home of Disneyland? GTFO with this garbage list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City