Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2023, 11:23 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis is certainly worth visiting if you like to experience cities. Not touristy per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 12:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Top Tier:
New York
Washington D.C.
Miami & Southeast Florida
Orlando
Chicago
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Honolulu (+ other islands)

Second Tier:
Boston/Cape Cod
Philadelphia
Nashville
Memphis
Tampa Bay & SW Florida Coast

Niche/Specialty Tier:
Asheville/Gatlinburg
Savannah
Charleston
Branson
Austin
Sante Fe / Taos
Flagstaff / Sedona

There are tons of small ski resorts and beach towns....too many to list. I have kept my niche tier to those that I think offer some other type of differentiating experience.
Every city has something to visit, but let's be serious, everyone knows which cities are tourist draws as a core function of their identities and which are not.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:07 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Now there are exceptions to this, (Nashville has 2 of 4, and the smaller of sports hockey and basketball) but it makes up for it with its iconic country music scene.
Nashville doesn't have professional basketball. It has the NHL and NFL.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-09-2023, 12:20 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
From an international perspective to capture the essence of America I would venture cities like NYC, DC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, Nashville, Miami, Austin, Las Vegas, Denver, LA, SF and Seattle best represent the flavors of varying regions and cultures.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:33 PM

771 posts, read 625,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Top Tier:
New York
Washington D.C.
Miami & Southeast Florida
Orlando
Chicago
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Honolulu (+ other islands)

Second Tier:
Boston/Cape Cod
Philadelphia
Nashville
Memphis
Tampa Bay & SW Florida Coast

Niche/Specialty Tier:
Asheville/Gatlinburg
Savannah
Charleston
Branson
Austin
Sante Fe / Taos
Flagstaff / Sedona

There are tons of small ski resorts and beach towns....too many to list. I have kept my niche tier to those that I think offer some other type of differentiating experience.
Every city has something to visit, but let's be serious, everyone knows which cities are tourist draws as a core function of their identities and which are not.
I agree with this overall, but I do think Atlanta needs to be in the second tier here. It has a Six Flags, probably the best aquarium in the nation, World of Coke, and it's the capital of the South in many ways.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:01 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
From an international perspective to capture the essence of America I would venture cities like NYC, DC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, Nashville, Miami, Austin, Las Vegas, Denver, LA, SF and Seattle best represent the flavors of varying regions and cultures.
How did Denver sneak in this? Unless you're talking about destinations outside of Denver city limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Top Tier:
New York, Washington, Miami, Orlando, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu

2nd Tier:
Boston, Nashville, New Orleans, San Antonio, Denver, San Diego, Seattle

3rd Tier:
Philadelphia, Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville, Dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Phoenix

4th Tier:
Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Memphis, Louisville/Lexington, St. Louis, Portland

And then there are various smaller resorts and touristy cities sprinkled across the country like Bar Harbor, Atlantic City, Williamsburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Branson, Mackinac Island, Rapid City, Aspen, Park City, Palm Springs, etc.
Philadelphia is definitely notches above every city listed in Tier 3.

Am I missing something about Denver? How is that in Tier 2? I'd even omit Atlanta and Austin out of that 3rd tier if it's sharing space with cities like Jacksonville, Tampa, Phoenix and Dallas.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:02 PM

571 posts, read 276,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville doesn't have professional basketball. It has the NHL and NFL.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Will edit. Meant to say that it had 2 of 4, with one of them being one of the smaller sports hockey/basketball.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
I agree with this overall, but I do think Atlanta needs to be in the second tier here. It has a Six Flags, probably the best aquarium in the nation, World of Coke, and it's the capital of the South in many ways.
Six Flags is not a destination attraction and I'm saying this in defense of Atlanta. Much more to Atlanta than Six Flags. LOL

Old 08-09-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What are some of the destination cities in the Midwest apart from Chicago?

I suppose St. Louis could be second with the arch, but there are actually some decent tourist sites in the Cleveland area (Cedar Point, Rock and Roll HOF), as well.
Cleveland is kind of underrated imo

I always enjoyed visiting it

Also Lakewood,OH has an amazing park on the lake.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Six Flags is not a destination attraction and I'm saying this in defense of Atlanta. Much more to Atlanta than Six Flags. LOL
Agree

Think Atlanta is still more of a place that is better to live in than to visit, but if it keeps developing it could be a good destination city for visitors sometime down the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City