Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2023, 04:33 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
The Top 10, alphabetically:

Boston
Chicago
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
New York
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

The worthy runners-up, also alphabetically:

Asheville
Austin
Charleston, SC
Denver
Nashville
Portland, OR
Savannah
Seattle
I can't write on every city in the nation because I don't know all of the cities listed.

The way I see it is cities are about experiences. Most top 10 MSA's offer unique experiences including Atlanta and Dallas. Charlotte and Atlanta are not as cultured as Chicago and Boston. But Atlanta offers experience through its attractions and people. It isn't found in its legacy neighborhoods or sports teams (imo) I love talking to people when I visit places to find out what they like about their city. I've found taking rapid transit tells a lot about what a city is and isn't. If there is no rapid transit, legacy neighborhoods, beaches or mountains, and people with unique experiences tied to their city, there is no reason to visit. Culture is key for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
This. This is what separates cities like Austin, Nashville, NOLA, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Vegas, etc. from places like Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Houston, etc.

Every city has museums, parks, etc. That's what makes a major city a major city. Every city doesn't have a 6th street tho (Austin). Or a Broadway (Nashville). Or "the Strip" which provides 24/7 entertainment and gambling (Vegas). Or South Beach (Miami). Or Times Square (NYC). Or beaches right next to a downtown (Chicago). You get my point. Atlanta doesn't have anything that really makes it stick out. The downtown is mediocre and regular. Midtown is nice, but you can see everything you need to see there in a weekend. Buckhead is your typical rich neighborhood.

This is why I said what I said in another thread, that the Beltline is the best thing the city of Atlanta has done this century. A walkable mixed used trail surrounding the city that connects to destinations like Piedmont Park, PCM, Buckhead, etc.? Now that's something every other city doesn't have.
What? Atlanta can hold my attention longer than Nashville and Austin. For people not interested in Broadway and Music City branded stuff, Nashville is quite boring compared to a place like Atlanta or even cities of its size.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 08-09-2023 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 04:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Denver is a super overrated city. Take the mountains on the west away and it has the cultural offerings of a 3rd/4th tier midwestern city. 16th st was a nice spot in downtown Denver, nowadays it has deteriorated so bad it's pretty much a homeless encampment with all the retail moving out and foot traffic following.

Everything good about Denver is outside of Denver, like annie_himself said, a destination region
You can't take away the mountains. Just like you can't take away the weather from San Diego.

And no, you're completely wrong. Denver is thriving, there are about 10 cranes in my neighborhood alone building apartments and office buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
The list is generally good but some places on the lists like Austin (overrated, expected more), Denver (very boring place, imo), etc., have zero appeal to me. Nashville is busy, somewhat vibrant and touristy but it's appeal is toward certain demographics and outside of those its appeal is very limited. I like cities that are "interesting" for visiting: Philly, LA, Chicago, San Fran, Boston (The region--biased, from the area). Miami I could do without. Vegas I visited a couple of times and that's enough for me.

Cities like Atlanta, Houston and Charlotte are not too "interesting" (I think that term generally applies to older, historic cities) but they offer some things that I appreciate (decent food, geography, shopping and some entertainment). San Diego is great great for a relaxing getaway. DC for the (free!) museums.
What makes Denver very boring? So Charlotte offers things you like, things like decent food, geography, shopping, and some entertainment?
Denver doesn't have decent food, geography, shopping, and some entertainment?
I've been to Charlotte numerous times and Denver is objectively more of an interesting city than Charlotte ever will be.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:49 PM

325 posts, read 204,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Top Tier:
New York, Washington, Miami, Orlando, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu

2nd Tier:
Boston, Nashville, New Orleans, San Antonio, Denver, San Diego, Seattle

3rd Tier:
Philadelphia, Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville, Dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Phoenix

4th Tier:
Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Memphis, Louisville/Lexington, St. Louis, Portland

And then there are various smaller resorts and touristy cities sprinkled across the country like Bar Harbor, Atlantic City, Williamsburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Branson, Mackinac Island, Rapid City, Aspen, Park City, Palm Springs, etc.
This is pretty much spot on IMO. I might bump Philly up to tier 2 just because of the historical aspect.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:16 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Top Tier:
New York, Washington, Miami, Orlando, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu

2nd Tier:
Boston, Nashville, New Orleans, San Antonio, Denver (limited), San Diego (limited), Seattle

3rd Tier:
Philadelphia, Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville, Dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Phoenix

4th Tier:
Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Memphis, Louisville/Lexington, St. Louis, Portland

And then there are various smaller resorts and touristy cities sprinkled across the country like Bar Harbor, Atlantic City, Williamsburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Branson, Mackinac Island, Rapid City, Aspen, Park City, Palm Springs, etc.
Bolded are places I've been.

Tier 1 would definitely add New Orleans. It's ONLY a destination city - nobody really lives there.

Tier 2 I'd move Austin up to here. Rest looks right

Tier 3 I'd move Jax down and Charleston up to here.

Overall, solid list!

Old 08-09-2023, 05:36 PM

232 posts, read 189,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You can't take away the mountains. Just like you can't take away the weather from San Diego.

And no, you're completely wrong. Denver is thriving, there are about 10 cranes in my neighborhood alone building apartments and office buildings.

What makes Denver very boring? So Charlotte offers things you like, things like decent food, geography, shopping, and some entertainment?
Denver doesn't have decent food, geography, shopping, and some entertainment?
I've been to Charlotte numerous times and Denver is objectively more of an interesting city than Charlotte ever will be.
You are entitled to your opinion, that's what these type of (subjective) forums are for, right?

Correct, I do prefer Charlotte to Denver. Denver did not appeal to me for whatever reason, and yes I thought it was quite boring for a city its size. Sorry.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, that's what these type of (subjective) forums are for, right?

Correct, I do prefer Charlotte to Denver. Denver did not appeal to me for whatever reason, and yes I thought it was quite boring for a city its size. Sorry.
I have to agree. I did like Boulder and some parts of Aurora, but Denver is rather bland. Charlotte feels more polished and definitely less pretentious.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:25 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
People calling Dallas Applebees but why the heck would you go to Austin on vacation? I went and found nothing new (I know a specific poster is gonna use this to talk about how the forums are slanted against Austin). I will admit it may soleley because of its size advantage, but DFW is so much more entertaining than Austin. Better food and drinks, better museums, and more sports.

Also, people listong Boston, what is the tourism draw for Boston? Boston serms like the least exciting of the big four in the Northeast.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:

I see Denver as having something special and also as a city that punches way above its weight. It's special because of how close it is to the Rockies. The Rockies are world class outdoors. It punches above its weight because it's the biggest city for a thousand miles in most directions and the biggest city in 600 miles when facing Texas. That leads to it having more professional sports, more concert tours, and more other stuff than similar sized metros. It's not my favorite city by any means but it's a city that I could happily live in and I feel like I'm very picky so that's a shortish list.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I see Denver as having something special and also as a city that punches way above its weight. It's special because of how close it is to the Rockies. The Rockies are world class outdoors. It punches above its weight because it's the biggest city for a thousand miles in most directions and the biggest city in 600 miles when facing Texas. That leads to it having more professional sports, more concert tours, and more other stuff than similar sized metros. It's not my favorite city by any means but it's a city that I could happily live in and I feel like I'm very picky so that's a shortish list.
I understand what you're saying, it's just that these kind of amenities don't appeal to me. I am not an outdoorsy type of person and have never been--although I do love the look of the mountains in the distance, and I do realize that Denver serves as the primary city for a larger region than most other cities its size.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I have to agree. I did like Boulder and some parts of Aurora, but Denver is rather bland. Charlotte feels more polished and definitely less pretentious.
I concur. The highlight of our trip to Denver area was going up to Boulder. I felt I could live in Boulder, if it was not so expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City