Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 PM

391 posts, read 285,727 times

Advertisements

To the casual pedestrian who has strolled the streets through the heart of Chicago and the heart of Philly, what are the biggest changes you'll notice at ground level? How does Philly differ from Chicago when you're wandering its streets, checking out its shops, peering up at all of the super tall structures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 01:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
biggest notable difference will be tighter (Philly) versus wider (Chicago) streets in general

Also to me Chicago feels built on a larger scale especially in the core in general

Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Chicago is larger with more towering skyscrapers but wider streets. It's also newer feeling.

Philadelphia is quaint, and smaller. Less skyscrapers. Outside of the Downtown the streets do feel a little more chaotic and tight though. I think Philadelphia's 'Downtown' blends a little better into surrounding neighborhoods too.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Yes I would label Chicagos downtown as sparkling,grandiose, clean. Center City Philadelphia human scale,quaint, villagish, old but in a good way.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:46 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Chicago: Parking Podiums...Parking Podiums everywhere....Grander...newer, cleaner, more modern. Obviously much more highrises and skyscrapers to gawk at. Some areas can make you feel like you're in one of the world's great capitals.

Philly: More classical urban where most of the buildings are not on parking podiums or even include parking so there's no major curb cuts that can make an area feel less walkable. Philly is also more compact. As someone said before, Downtown Philly blends in with the surrounding city way better...the transit is smooth.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 PM

391 posts, read 285,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Chicago is larger with more towering skyscrapers but wider streets. It's also newer feeling.

Philadelphia is quaint, and smaller. Less skyscrapers. Outside of the Downtown the streets do feel a little more chaotic and tight though. I think Philadelphia's 'Downtown' blends a little better into surrounding neighborhoods too.
Yes, I definitely agree that Philadelphia's 'Downtown' blends better into its surroundings. I feel like the chicago loop abruptly ends becomes low density and low rise.
I feel like the wide streets of Chicago make it seem less urban. Chicago, with its wide streets, large amount of parking garages, and even surface parking lots in its CBD, is too auto-friendly. Fortunately, many of those surface parking lots are going to be developed. I imagine Chicago becoming more dense and pedestrian-friendly in the future.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
A certain poster will chance upon this thread feeling flabbergasted at the very thought of Philly being compared to Chicago....What with its tight rowhouses, no alleys, no side garages, etc.?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,180,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
a certain poster will chance upon this thread feeling flabbergasted at the very thought of philly being compared to chicago....what with its tight rowhouses, no alleys, no side garages, etc.? :d
+1

Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
lmao tcave, I am not having the best day, but that honestly made me laugh out loud.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
lmao tcave, I am not having the best day, but that honestly made me laugh out loud.
Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City