Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the LEAST amount of Tension and Stress?
Atlanta 1 1.22%
Boston 1 1.22%
Charlotte 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Cincinnati 1 1.22%
Cleveland 1 1.22%
Columbus 2 2.44%
Dallas 0 0%
Denver 4 4.88%
Detroit 0 0%
Houston 3 3.66%
Indianapolis 4 4.88%
Kansas City 4 4.88%
Las Vegas 1 1.22%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Miami 1 1.22%
Milwaukee 3 3.66%
Minneapolis 6 7.32%
New York 3 3.66%
Orlando 1 1.22%
Philadelphia 3 3.66%
Phoenix 8 9.76%
Pittsburgh 2 2.44%
Portland 1 1.22%
Raleigh 1 1.22%
Sacramento 0 0%
St Louis 1 1.22%
Salt Lake City 3 3.66%
San Antonio 5 6.10%
San Diego 11 13.41%
San Francisco 1 1.22%
Seattle 5 6.10%
Tampa 0 0%
Washington DC 0 0%
Other (state below) 5 6.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:07 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times

Advertisements

Definitely not St.Louis. There is so much tension around here people shoot at anything that moves. That's why you see so many bullet holes in the walls of buildings, they're shooting at their own shadows. I would have to say Phoenix or San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
While Phoenix has (IMO) perhaps one of the nicest freeway systems in the country, I get frustrated frequently during this time of year. The amount of traffic increases all around due to winter and spring training visitors and I wish people would truly focus on where they are trying to go and think about it ahead of time instead of switching back and forth between lanes trying to figure out how to even turn onto the freeways. Fortunately, I work remotely a couple of days during the week, but it certainly feels like a losing battle trying to drive to work the other three days when it sometimes takes me about 17 mins to drive 1.9 miles. I do not even get on the I-17 freeway, but simply have to drive under it. Although the light-rail system is being expanded significantly and will eventually reach within a little over a mile from my house, it won't be worth it to use for work.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Kansas City has been the least stressful city I've lived in. Very little traffic, extremely low COL, fairly mild winters for the Midwest, parking is easy. Enough amenities to keep me from being too bored. A lot of people mention SD. I guess as a tourist one could get that vibe but living there is a bit different. One of the least affordable cities based on income, parking is a problem, traffic is a problem, panhandling is a problem (that's something that stresses me out personally but maybe not everyone). Even something as simple as going to the beach can be a production with traffic and parking.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
El Paso, a city of 750,000 people despite its negative border city image is very quiet and serene. Also, it consistently ranks as the safest or close to safest big city in the US! I am familiar with Indy and I think it fits the description also.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
San Diego, despite the cost of living people are the happiest and friendliest of almost every US City I have ever been to. San Diego would be my top choice for this question, Phoenix is another good answer and Nashville as well both are really laid back cities that have a lot of welcoming people and transplants so its easier to make friends in these places. I would move to San Diego if I had the cash or a great job, I love that city. I really like Phoenix, Austin and Nashville as well.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
San Diego, despite the cost of living people are the happiest and friendliest of almost every US City I have ever been to. San Diego would be my top choice for this question, Phoenix is another good answer and Nashville as well both are really laid back cities that have a lot of welcoming people and transplants so its easier to make friends in these places. I would move to San Diego if I had the cash or a great job, I love that city. I really like Phoenix, Austin and Nashville as well.
People in Phoenix tend to be stressed out in the summer after a few months of the heat.

Also San Diego and Phoenix have fairly agressive drivers.

I'd say for your prototypical laid back city, I've got to go Indianapolis.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
I voted for Indianapolis, but could also see Cleveland winning this as well.

I don't understand why people are voting for San Diego. Traffic is pretty bad, cost of living is wicked HIGH and parking lots are always jam packed, and there's just a lot of people and tourists in general. Forget it.

I also don't understand why Minneapolis or Tampa are on these lists. Both have horrible traffic. Minneapolis cost of living isn't cheap, either.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't understand why people are voting for San Diego. Traffic is pretty bad, cost of living is wicked HIGH and parking lots are always jam packed, and there's just a lot of people and tourists in general. Forget it.
But its still laid back in spite of the few negatives.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM

91 posts, read 151,458 times
If you are including Raleigh (a total outlier on this list), you should be including lots of other small to medium Southern cities, as many of them fit the bill. Consider Lexington, Knoxville, Charleston SC, and similar cities. My vote would be for Lexington.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM

177 posts, read 331,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I voted for Indianapolis, but could also see Cleveland winning this as well.

I also don't understand why Minneapolis or Tampa are on these lists. Both have horrible traffic. Minneapolis cost of living isn't cheap, either.

An apartment in a nice area of San Diego is like at least $1,500 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City