Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 02:17 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Columbus is the largest city in Ohio. Over 800,000 in the core; I wouldn't call that a sleeper. But it is suburban because the majority of the city was annexed.

There's plenty of everything and everyone in that city. A Black person shouldn't have any problems there.
I was thinking in terms of the thread criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking in terms of the thread criteria.
I was as well. Why would you think that city would not meet the thread criteria?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I was as well. Why would you think that city would not meet the thread criteria?
Sleeper means that it does, but not that many people think about it in that regard. For instance, in terms of Nashville, they have HBCU's such as Tennessee State, Meharry Medical College and Fisk University. People may not know this about Nashville and that is why I mentioned it as a sleeper.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Sleeper means that it does, but not that many people think about it in that regard. For instance, in terms of Nashville, they have HBCU's such as Tennessee State, Meharry Medical College and Fisk University. People may not know this about Nashville and that is why I mentioned it as a sleeper.
Nashville is still a VERY white city, though. Its black population is not THAT big compared to most of the other cities mentioned in this thread and is pretty much confined to the run down area where the HBCUs are. Also, since Nashville is on a lot of rich white hippies' and yuppies' radar now and is considered "the next Austin," they are also gentrifying a lot of poor and middle class people out of Nashville, including many of the black folks; Nashville doesn't belong in this convo, not even as a "sleeper."

Old 05-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Nashville is still a VERY white city, though. Its black population is not THAT big compared to most of the other cities mentioned in this thread and is pretty much confined to the run down area where the HBCUs are. Also, since Nashville is on a lot of rich white hippies' and yuppies' radar now and is considered "the next Austin," they are also gentrifying a lot of poor and middle class people out of Nashville, including many of the black folks; Nashville doesn't belong in this convo, not even as a "sleeper."
It is still around 30% Black and that is considering that it is a consolidated city-county municipality. Imagine what the percentage for the city would be if it had the old city limits. So, it is still a city worth mentioning and it will be a while before the Black percentage gets to the level of Austin(around 8-9% Black).

Correction, Davidson County and Nashville aren't completely the same municipality. When including the portion of the county not consolidated with Nashville, the Black percentage of the county is roughly 28%. Still a substantial percentage for a county with around 670,000 people.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-11-2015 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 06:48 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
I see what you mean. Well Columbus is a mixed bag. Its urban, but it doesn't have the grit of Cleveland or Cincinnati. That doesn't mean that it is doesn't have any bad neighborhoods and the Blacks there are primarily middle class and professional. That definitely is not the case. But for those reasons, I prefer it to an area like Northern Virginia, because its real, not some idealization of an urban area. But that's how Ohio is in most cities, though Columbus is a bit more sterile in its suburbs than the other cities.

Ohio State is huge. There are also a lot of tech companies there, and of course the state government jobs, which tend to pay well.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean. Well Columbus is a mixed bag. Its urban, but it doesn't have the grit of Cleveland or Cincinnati. That doesn't mean that it is doesn't have any bad neighborhoods and the Blacks there are primarily middle class and professional. That definitely is not the case. But for those reasons, I prefer it to an area like Northern Virginia, because its real, not some idealization of an urban area. But that's how Ohio is in most cities, though Columbus is a bit more sterile in its suburbs than the other cities.

Ohio State is huge. There are also a lot of tech companies there, and of course the state government jobs, which tend to pay well.
You also have Black people in leadership positions there and it celebrates its Black professionals, with the Who's Who in Black Columbus: Who's Who in Black Columbus

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=etw_g3LpI6Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MnAYo0G8wHU

https://vimeo.com/46612524

Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
It is still around 30% Black and that is considering that it is a consolidated city-county municipality. Imagine what the percentage for the city would be if it had the old city limits. So, it is still a city worth mentioning and it will be a while before the Black percentage gets to the level of Austin(around 8-9% Black).

Correction, Davidson County and Nashville aren't completely the same municipality. When including the portion of the county not consolidated with Nashville, the Black percentage of the county is roughly 28%. Still a substantial percentage for a county with around 670,000 people.
LOL, you don't have to teach me about Nashville. I'm from Tennessee and know the city and area well. That's why I can tell you it's not a "best city for Black people all around, for everything" type of city, like the title of the thread says. It's geared mostly towards gentrification minded white people, if anything. They are turning it into the next Austin or Portland, and trying to move the less 30% of blacks that they do have out. No city like that is ever black friendly or good for blacks.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
LOL, you don't have to teach me about Nashville. I'm from Tennessee and know the city and area well. That's why I can tell you it's not a "best city for Black people all around, for everything" type of city, like the title of the thread says. It's geared mostly towards gentrification minded white people, if anything. They are turning it into the next Austin or Portland, and trying to move the less 30% of blacks that they do have out. No city like that is ever black friendly or good for blacks.
So, is the community looking to do things to combat that? What about a think tank for businesses/business creation in collaboration with the institutions mentioned earlier?

Keep in mind that Austin and Portland were never that Black in the first place. So, if Nashville is ever going to get to that level, then it would have to take a much stronger effort in order to get to that level of gentrification.

Also, there is a degree of gentrification occurring in many cities, including the ones that immediately come to mind in a thread like this. So, this isn't something that is exclusively occurring in Nashville.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-11-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
If you're talking black people as a group, I would say Atlanta. Lots of successful ones there.

If you are talking one individual or family, I would say someplace smaller and very white in the Midwest or West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City