Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 06:28 AM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I mentioned Black history specifically in the context of differentiating Nashville from the likes of Portland and Austin. This is one reason I can't really agree that Nashville is more like those cities than cities like Atlanta and DC, especially since Nashville is a newcomer to the gentrifying boomburg club compared to Portland and Austin (and Atlanta and DC for that matter).
Exactly.....I wouldn't put Austin and Portland in the same breath as Nashville.

I bet if Nashville kept its pre 1963 city limits, I wouldn't be surprised if that city would be close to being 50% Black, give or take. Its post 1963 city/county consolidation is probably why there isn't as much Black leadership due to the fact that the outer areas of that consolidation probably have lower Black percentages and in turn, is where a lot of the representation comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
If you're talking black people as a group, I would say Atlanta. Lots of successful ones there.

If you are talking one individual or family, I would say someplace smaller and very white in the Midwest or West.
You can include the Northeast or any region and the community doesn't necessarily have to be "very white".

Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
LOL, you don't have to teach me about Nashville. I'm from Tennessee and know the city and area well. That's why I can tell you it's not a "best city for Black people all around, for everything" type of city, like the title of the thread says. It's geared mostly towards gentrification minded white people, if anything. They are turning it into the next Austin or Portland, and trying to move the less 30% of blacks that they do have out. No city like that is ever black friendly or good for blacks.
How many urban cores in America do not fit this description?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly.....I wouldn't put Austin and Portland in the same breath as Nashville.

I bet if Nashville kept its pre 1963 city limits, I wouldn't be surprised if that city would be close to being 50% Black, give or take. Its post 1963 city/county consolidation is probably why there isn't as much Black leadership due to the fact that the outer areas of that consolidation probably have lower Black percentages and in turn, is where a lot of the representation comes from.
Good point; I forget Nashville has a consolidated government and I didn't know that that occurred before the VRA, after which you began to see Blacks getting elected to local political leadership positions nationwide.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good point; I forget Nashville has a consolidated government and I didn't know that that occurred before the VRA, after which you began to see Blacks getting elected to local political leadership positions nationwide.
Here is a very interesting thread about Nashville I found from another forum: Some VERY interesting Nashville Population Numbers - SkyscraperPage Forum

What the city looked like in 1960: File:Nashville1960.png - Wikimedia Commons So, if you took the census tracts within those former city limits, I'm sure the demographics of the city would be much different than what they are currently. Nashville-Davidson Metropolitan Government, TN - USA.comâ„¢

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-12-2015 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
If you're talking black people as a group, I would say Atlanta. Lots of successful ones there.

If you are talking one individual or family, I would say someplace smaller and very white in the Midwest or West.
I don't think individuals or a family would mind an area like this in the Northeast, as an example: Census Block Group 414100-4 in Nassau County, New York
Census Block Group 414100-6 in Nassau County, New York

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6699...iw!2e0!6m1!1e1
(where the two census block groups meet and there are similar areas nearby)

The elementary school they would go to: Brookside Elementary School

BALDWIN UFSD | New York State Education Department Data Site
Graduation rate is usually in the low 90's in terms of percentage for the district and Black students for a HS that is around 47-50% Black.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-13-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think individuals or a family would mind an area like this in the Northeast, as an example: Census Block Group 414100-4 in Nassau County, New York
Census Block Group 414100-6 in Nassau County, New York

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6699...iw!2e0!6m1!1e1
(where the two census block groups meet and there are similar areas nearby)

The elementary school they would go to: Brookside Elementary School

BALDWIN UFSD | New York State Education Department Data Site
Graduation rate is usually in the low 90's in terms of percentage for the district and Black students for a HS that is around 47-50% Black.
Here is the school district website: Welcome to Baldwin Schools | Baldwin Schools

A similar community nearby: Census Tract 406202 in Nassau County, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6767...dQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

2014 | MALVERNE UFSD - Graduation Rate | New York State Education Department Data Site
2014 | MALVERNE UFSD - Enrollment Data | New York State Education Department Data Site

Malverne Union Free School District

Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I don't see Nashville as a mecca for Blacks but its far from being a Portland or Austin type of place.

I always have seen a stable Black middle to upper middle class in that city and it shows that they seem to be attracting a lot of Blacks from the Chicago type of places or else you wouldnt see the percentage increase in Davidson Co.

I would say if I was a young Black family, I would consider Nashville a possiblity after Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Dallas and Houston. I would never consider Austin or Portland over Nashville.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

134 posts, read 133,428 times
Houston

Old 05-14-2015, 07:30 PM

Are there any other examples similar to the Baldwin/NW Freeport(Baldwin Schools) and Lakeview(Malverne Schools) examples in other areas where it is highly/mostly Black, middle class and has solid/good schools that such neighborhoods feed into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City