Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is their any truth to the saying "Too dumb for New York, Too ugly for LA"?
No, that's total BS. 48 61.54%
A little. 19 24.36%
A lot. 7 8.97%
I don't know. 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:58 PM

17 posts, read 20,630 times

Advertisements

If you are a new arrival to either place, you will need a bit of both to live passably. Or you can just become a grubby Hipster and abrogate normal society's rules....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
It's BS. To nearly the same degree as the saying "If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere." No validity whatsoever.

I went to HS in the NYC area and I feel a lot of kids who are successful in NYC are only because they know somebody (parent/friend/brother/sister/connection) who opened a door for them to a NYC salary job. These kids were not any smarter or savvier than anyone I went to college with in CA.

I then worked in NYC for several years and saw how it really was. Most middle aged people I worked with at a corporation were not truly innovative or progressive. They simply stuck around because they were good at kissing ass. NYC definitely did not live up to the expectation at least from the work world perspective.

However there are many attractive women in NYC, that should definitely be noted. Now I'm back in CA and I must say it's a privilege to get to work in Southern California over the rat race that is NYC.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's BS. To nearly the same degree as the saying "If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere." No validity whatsoever.

I went to HS in the NYC area and I feel a lot of kids who are successful in NYC are only because they know somebody (parent/friend/brother/sister/connection) who opened a door for them to a NYC salary job. These kids were not any smarter or savvier than anyone I went to college with in CA.

I then worked in NYC for several years and saw how it really was. Most middle aged people I worked with at a corporation were not truly innovative or progressive. They simply stuck around because they were good at kissing ass. NYC definitely did not live up to the expectation at least from the work world perspective.

However there are many attractive women in NYC, that should definitely be noted. Now I'm back in CA and I must say it's a privilege to get to work in Southern California over the rat race that is NYC.
I agree with this 100%. I hope to move to CA one day, but it's just getting a good job lined up that has proved challenging for me......I am so sick of NYC and the rat race here, the cold, etc.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I agree with this 100%. I hope to move to CA one day, but it's just getting a good job lined up that has proved challenging for me......I am so sick of NYC and the rat race here, the cold, etc.
Agreed. There is an ignorance to both places, but NYC elitist/superiority is just awful compared to CA's.

That said, the dating scene in NYC I feel is better than LA (not by much though). Something about LA that prevents people from settling down and always looking for the next best match.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
It applies to San Francisco.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 PM

603 posts, read 931,884 times
I've never heard of this saying.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Anyone who is truly too dumb for New York and too ugly for Los Angeles should consider living somewhere in the middle of the country.

Omaha, Kansas City, Des Moines, Saint Louis, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, or Wichita might be a good escape from the two superficial extremes.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
It depends on what you want to do. I understand this. New York is a major financial center and a big place for lawyers. Los Angeles is home to the film industry(Atlanta is increasingly home to major filming as well).

Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
oh yes, of course, it just has to be true. If there's a song about it and shirts made parroting what the song said, and the herd ends up buying the shirts and wearing them, we know it just has to be true. yep. uh huh.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
LOL seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City