Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state has the WORST gang problem?
Texas 9 13.64%
California 57 86.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:19 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The death penalty isn't a deterrent. People who are dead set on their crimes hardly think about the death penalty. The death penalty exists as a means of revenge, not punishment.
I can concur with the idea that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. It never has been. Texas is proof of this. Texas, going all the way to the early 1960s and before has had one of the highest murder rates in the nation.

Louisiana, same thing. Always had a high murder rate. It has the death penalty. New Orleans, which has won the title of "murder capital" several times, is in a state with the death penalty.

Florida's murder rate has dropped, but has long had a high murder rate. In 1926, the city with the highest murder rate in the nation was Jacksonville,FL. Murder rate of 75 murders per 100,000. And this is in a state that has the death penalty and will use it. In fact, I watched an episode of Gangland on the History Channel. It was about Zoe Pound in Miami. One police officer put it like this. "Wanna kill me? Okay. If I kill one person, what can the state do to me? They can kill me. If I go out and kill 14 more people, the state can only kill me one time". Basically, an attitude of "I don't care if I live or die, so I don't mind taking someone with me". Anyone who doesn't value life isn't going to be deterred by the death penalty.

Furthermore, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota have very low murder rates. No death penalty in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
Who cares if the death penalty is a deterrent or not? It's about justice. Kill someone and you should be executed IMO. And further more, I think rapists should get the death penalty.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can concur with the idea that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. It never has been. Texas is proof of this. Texas, going all the way to the early 1960s and before has had one of the highest murder rates in the nation.

Louisiana, same thing. Always had a high murder rate. It has the death penalty. New Orleans, which has won the title of "murder capital" several times, is in a state with the death penalty.

Florida's murder rate has dropped, but has long had a high murder rate. In 1926, the city with the highest murder rate in the nation was Jacksonville,FL. Murder rate of 75 murders per 100,000. And this is in a state that has the death penalty and will use it. In fact, I watched an episode of Gangland on the History Channel. It was about Zoe Pound in Miami. One police officer put it like this. "Wanna kill me? Okay. If I kill one person, what can the state do to me? They can kill me. If I go out and kill 14 more people, the state can only kill me one time". Basically, an attitude of "I don't care if I live or die, so I don't mind taking someone with me". Anyone who doesn't value life isn't going to be deterred by the death penalty.

Furthermore, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota have very low murder rates. No death penalty in those states.
You fail to take into account these states' demographics. Louisiana, Florida and Texas have a lot of blacks and hispanics. Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota do not.

This isn't racist talk, it's statistics, pure and simple. Blacks and hispanics murder more frequently per capita than whites do.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
You fail to take into account these states' demographics. Louisiana, Florida and Texas have a lot of blacks and hispanics. Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota do not.

This isn't racist talk, it's statistics, pure and simple. Blacks and hispanics murder more frequently per capita than whites do.
My point is that the death penalty is not a deterrent. If it worked, then Louisiana would have a much lower murder rate than it does.

And here is another issue. No one ever asks "WHY" there are more murders coming from Blacks and Hispanics. And furthermore, look who gets murdered by Blacks and Hispanics. Mostly Blacks and Hispanics.

Something else. Texas has alot of Blacks and Hispanics, as both demographics have been moving to Texas in large numbers. However, the murder rate has miraculously dropped since 2000. Same goes for Georgia.

And Virginia has alot of Blacks. A population around 20% Black, and the murder rate is around 3.8 murders per 100,000, slightly below the national average.

If the problem to you is that Blacks and Hispanics are the cause, then what do you propose as a solution to get the murder rate to drop?

Old 03-22-2015, 04:04 PM

There is another theory on what I might present as to why the death penalty isn't a deterrent, in addition to a live by the sword die by the sword mentality.

The vast majority of murders committed by Blacks are committed against Black men, 9 out of every 10 in fact. However, the majority of Blacks who get the death penalty killed Whites. One message being sent could be that a Black man's life mean's very little, and for that reason, far less fear of killing another Black man.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,753 times
Cali gangs are worse but Texas has more dangerous areas.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:02 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswhole View Post
Cali gangs are worse but Texas has more dangerous areas.
...explain.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 6,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...explain.
For starters Houston and Dallas is worse than LA, SanFran, and San Diego. Oakland is worse than than every major Texas city. The Texas border is worse than the Cali border.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswhole View Post
For starters Houston and Dallas is worse than LA, SanFran, and San Diego. Oakland is worse than than every major Texas city. The Texas border is worse than the Cali border.
San Francisco and San Diego, I'll give ya.

I doubt Oak Cliff in Dallas or the Third Ward in Houston is worse than South Central L.A.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
San Francisco and San Diego, I'll give ya.

I doubt Oak Cliff in Dallas or the Third Ward in Houston is worse than South Central L.A.
The stats speak for themselves, LA is safer overall than both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City