Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't want to share our family's gross income, but here's a list of key expenses of living in the Cleveland area, the 2nd cheapest city to be "middle-class":

Nanny - $25K (because our parents work or live far away, and can't watch our two young children)
Daycare - $7K (part-time, because we want our daughter to have a running start when she's off to school later this year)
Healthcare - $10K+ (Includes premiums, prescriptions and out-of-pocket expenses)
Taxes - $20K+ (Fed, State, Local, Local (yes, I did local twice), SSI, Medica)
Car - $8.5K+ (Including financing, insurance, maintenance, tolls and gas)
Bank Loan - $7K (in order to stay afloat with our current "lifestyle", this is what we can pay back, not what we put in)
Rent - $14.4K (rental house in the cheapest neighborhood in Shaker Heights, in a safe'ish and diverse neighborhood close enough to the train station for me to walk)

We still have to eat and turn the heat and lights on, and this is more money than we make in a year. This also does not include a loan we took from both of our parents when I was out of a job for a bit years ago.

Kids and healthcare have made us live closer to lower-middle class than middle class, on a higher average income than the median. Our middle-class values of placing our children's health and education at the forefront is clearly driving a big percentage of our family expenses, plus, both my wife and myself have medical conditions that always put us at the out-of-pocket max in healthcare expenses. I don't know how anyone does it on say $30K, the supposed median of Cleveland.
A lot of people don't really hire nanies though and that's a LARGE portion of budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Simple. They run large balances on credit cards and probably overdraft their bank accounts every other month or so.

IMO, an "upper middle class" lifestyle is when you don't have to worry about budgeting. Wanna go to Bermuda? No problem. Wanna lease a new car? No problem. Wanna eat out at nice restaurants 3 times per week? Easy. You're basically free of the financial worries of most ordinary Americans without having to exercise much fiscal discipline.

Of course, there are people with upper middle class incomes ($150K+) who experience the same financial woes as poorer people.
Thats because a lot of upper middle class and rich people don't watch their finances. My cousin is an exec and makes 300k a year and he is only 37 years old and he told me he does not even look at price tags of anytime anymore, basically if he wants it he buys it. This is the mentality that has pro athletes broke after their playing days thou. Americans need to learn to be more thrifty.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
A lot of people don't really hire nanies though and that's a LARGE portion of budget.
A lot of people do put their kids in daycare though and that costs mad money.

Map: The average cost for child care by state

This is average annual day care cost per child. So if you've got two kiddies, you might be shelling out $3,000 per month in some states. We haven't even gotten to personal savings, retirement savings, and college savings yet.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times
I eat at restaurants every meal, nice restaurants once a day for dinner. I own a car (not lease) that is worth more than the annual salary of most tech nerds in San Francisco. I take frequent vacations, and I spend maybe 1000s of dollars a week on nice alcohol. But I still watch price tags, because my money supply is not unlimited. For example, if I go to a restaurant that is 200$ per meal one night, the next couple nights I will limit it to 50$ per my dinner meal.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 AM

560 posts, read 667,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I eat at restaurants every meal, nice restaurants once a day for dinner. I own a car (not lease) that is worth more than the annual salary of most tech nerds in San Francisco. I take frequent vacations, and I spend maybe 1000s of dollars a week on nice alcohol. But I still watch price tags, because my money supply is not unlimited. For example, if I go to a restaurant that is 200$ per meal one night, the next couple nights I will limit it to 50$ per my dinner meal.
Cool story bro.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,838 times
Keep us updated SDP!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
We have no choice, but I agree, most don't have to. Full-tiime daycare X2 would cost just as much, if not more.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Bite me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City