Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times

Advertisements

I'd say that Raleigh and Nashville already arrived, perhaps even a decade ago with similar cities in the vain of Austin, Orlando, and I would fit Charlotte in this same category. They have a well-settled brand, which is exactly what you need to qualify as a hub of anything and both have done many things right. Nashville is probably the winner for future potential. Ironically, the mayor of Nashville was lecturing Richmond's leaders last week on how to make a city grow, but RVA is hard of hearing most of the time - maybe they're finally starting to listen.

Richmond and Louisville are nice, but they are steady growers. They have a great amenities and interesting vibes with an urban twist, but to grow them into regional hubs/power centers would require some kind of unique undiscovered spark. The beauty of these places right now, is that they are able to gracefully accommodate their moderate growth without busting at the seams.

NOLA is very unique as a cultural and economic center with a very special nitch. In some ways it is a regional hub for the Gulf Coast, but as far as it has come in the last decade, there is a lot more to do to make it more attractive as a place to live, and not only to visit.

Idk. There are some systemic things going on with Memphis that all could be solved, but I thin it's matter of good leadership and spending resources on the right projects. There's a lot of potential. Birmingham has similar concerns but is running up against a historical perception that's probably holding it back.

Jacksonville has a lot of great things going for it and strong growth. Now if the city could just work on urbanizing that downtown a bit more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,588 times
Poor little South Carolina, we have to sit on the sideline and watch everybody else play. I picked Raleigh, followed by Nashville, both are going crazy. I don't know what's holding Richmond back, it should be a monster.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Poor little South Carolina, we have to sit on the sideline and watch everybody else play. I picked Raleigh, followed by Nashville, both are going crazy. I don't know what's holding Richmond back, it should be a monster.
Maybe Virginia is too expensive to live in? It's kind of a mystery! Richmond should really be pulling in more transplants.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:44 PM

372 posts, read 449,707 times
I would think Raleigh comes second to Charlotte.. I'm not sure how much better Nashville is than Memphis but I don't think its a hub city. Maybe of the state.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And the agenda continues....
Do you know how to read English? Tell me how this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New Orleans and Nashville.

Coincidentally not only are they the best two options but they keep the parody of Houston and Atlanta alive as a smaller analogue of Gulf Coast South and state capital of Southeastern United States/music center.
Has anything negative in it? There are no jabs. No shots fired. Nothing.

Or is it that you don't realize geography? New Orleans is a smaller city than Houston. Fact. Nashville is a smaller city than Atlanta. Fact. New Orleans is a Gulf Coast city like Houston. Fact. Nashville is a state capital, music center, and city of the interior landmass like Atlanta. Fact again.

So when I say "it keeps the parody of Houston and Atlanta alive" and that they are a SMALLER ANALOGUE and reference the smaller aspects like geography for it, how is it "having an agenda?"

You must not know what an agenda is or what my post meant.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 PM

239 posts, read 326,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I voted Richmond and my second choice would've been Raleigh because I think NOVA & Charlotte being in the same state as each respective city will aide in economic development. Kind of like a spill over effect.

Although I have to say, a lot of folks seem to be moving to TN.
Now I know where not to go. People say how TN is still nice and not as crowded HAHAHA. I will stay right here in Florida because running to another state wont make it better. TN will get the same anyhow. In fact since its more west, I expect Nashville probably to be the next area to get the Californians that didn't make it to Austin in time and are going to scramble at the last minute to find a new location because of the water drought. TN will have all the transplants by then. If this trend continues maybe FL will even empty out and there will finally be more space here. Good let em go to TN.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:20 PM

121 posts, read 164,217 times
Birmingham is being over looked but it's going to shock the world.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:43 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
PLEASE. enough with your madness. What is Birmingham going to SHOCK the WORLD with?????

Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
LOL, yeah right...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Quote:
It already shocked the world in 1963.....which is still holding it back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City