Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top three cities of North America?
New York, Mexico City, Los Angeles 77 28.41%
New York, Mexico City, Toronto 57 21.03%
New York, Los Angeles, Chicago 55 20.30%
New York, Los Angeles, Toronto 28 10.33%
New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles 13 4.80%
New York, Washington D.C., Toronto 10 3.69%
New York, Washington D.C., Mexico City 6 2.21%
New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco 20 7.38%
New York, San Francisco, Chicago 5 1.85%
New York, San Francisco, Toronto 6 2.21%
New York, Toronto, Chicago 10 3.69%
New York, Mexico City, Chicago 6 2.21%
New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco 4 1.48%
New York, Mexico City, San Francisco 3 1.11%
Mexico City, Washington D.C., Ottawa 1 0.37%
Mexico City, Los Angeles, Washington D.C. 0 0%
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago 1 0.37%
Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Toronto 1 0.37%
None. 4 1.48%
Other. 6 2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If we are talking about the Bay Area as a whole and not just San Francisco, I could see an argument for #3. But it would be a losing argument because there is no way you would convince me the Bay Area is more "tops" than the capital city of the (for now at least) most powerful country in the world.
We dont care about convincing, only disrupting.

The map attached to this WSJ article shows how the Bay Area has evolved into a major player in the automotive industry. Fairly,recently at that.
Ford, Mercedes Set Up Shop in Silicon Valley - WSJ

While other cities are attracting masses of people from around the world, the Bay has become a magnet for billion dollar enterprises and industries from around the world that wish to remain relevant.

So while some cities are Top 3 in some ways, so is SF.

Which is why I cant really name a 3rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 01:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
NYC, MC and Toronto...there is something to be said for being the top city in a country that pushes MC and Toronto above LA for me...the USA is too decentralized for me to allow LAs 2nd place status in the most powerful country in the world to put it above those 2...completely disregarding political borders? NYC, MC, LA...for me there is no way this list cannot have MC on it....if people want to focus on GDP etc and play billionaire games then that is something different and cities can be ranked on objective data from that standpoint...MC is too important a city to be pushed aside simply because its in a developing country

Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
NYC, MC and Toronto...there is something to be said for being the top city in a country that pushes MC and Toronto above LA for me...the USA is too decentralized for me to allow LAs 2nd place status in the most powerful country in the world to put it above those 2...completely disregarding political borders? NYC, MC, LA...for me there is no way this list cannot have MC on it....if people want to focus on GDP etc and play billionaire games then that is something different and cities can be ranked on objective data from that standpoint...MC is too important a city to be pushed aside simply because its in a developing country
In that case, couldn't you put just about every national capital/1# city above LA? Copenhagen, Brussels, Santiago, etc?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If we are talking about the Bay Area as a whole and not just San Francisco, I could see an argument for #3. But it would be a losing argument because there is no way you would convince me the Bay Area is more "tops" than the capital city of the (for now at least) most powerful country in the world.
There are no other countries on the United States' radar for the foreseeable future. As a country, it is the undisputed number one and more than likely always will be. I don't see the competition, honestly (especially when you add everything together).

Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
In that case, couldn't you put every national capital in the industrialized world above LA? Copenhagen, Brussels, etc?
Good point which primarily causes issues for Toronto on the ranking as I think MC can really stand on its own as a World city...I mean I certainly wouldn't put any city from the smaller North American countries (Central America and Caribbean) over LA...Mexico is such a huge part of NA that to ignore its world city would be unacceptable...its a toss up between T-dot and LA...might make me change my mind on this

Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
I would say New York, Mexico City, and Los Angeles which appears to be the consensus so far based on the early poll results. Here is my reasoning for each selection:

1. New York City - 2nd Largest City in North America, International Prestige/Reputation, Powerhouse of North America's Economy
2. Mexico City - Largest City in North America, International Prestige/Reputation, Powerhouse of Latin America's Economy
3. Los Angeles - 3rd Largest City in North America, International Influence (Just not at the level of NYC and Mexico City), Powerhouse of the West Coast

The OP did a great job at listing eligible cities, but I really believe the above three cities are the strongest winners in this category.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
From a brute display of power point of view, I don't think any of the other selections get any better than New York, Washington D.C., and Mexico City.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM

282 posts, read 350,727 times
According to the iPsos Survey of 20,000 people from different countries:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Toronto

Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM

282 posts, read 350,727 times
If we want to go by global favorability:

Quote:
The market-research organisation, Ipsos, has conducted its first poll to find “The World’s Favourite City”. In February, over 18,000 global citizens in 24 countries were asked to rate cities as places to do business in, to live in, and to visit.

Overall winners:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Toronto

'World's Favorite Cities Revealed

Old 04-02-2015, 02:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
No SF but Boston - interesting

also am surprised Sydney was two, ahead of London in the US

will have to read more on this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City