Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma City vs Atlanta
Oklahoma City 46 20.54%
Atlanta 178 79.46%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The Atlanta Hawks have gone 5-5 in their last 10 games.

I am still bandwagoning them this year to win it all. I want to see the Hawks win it all this year, it would be awesome, the team plays a really fun style of basketball. Similar to the fluid offense of San Antonio Spurs and Golden State Warriors. I wouldn't mind if any of those three teams won it all this year.

I'll bandwagon the Hawks for the title this year. It was a spectacular surprise season, just get above 60 wins already.
The Hawks have been mediocre for the past month or so, but I'm hoping they're just saving their energy for the playoffs. Golden State is a very exciting team. I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all if the Hawks don't. Yes, I agree about the 60 games - I hope the Hawks can pull that off. It would be a big milestone for the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
The Hawks have been mediocre for the past month or so, but I'm hoping they're just saving their energy for the playoffs. Golden State is a very exciting team. I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all if the Hawks don't. Yes, I agree about the 60 games - I hope the Hawks can pull that off. It would be a big milestone for the team.
The Atlanta Hawks actually have quite a few injuries to some of their key defensive stalwarts. By all means those guys will be back by the postseason and will be back to doing what they have done, which is massacre-without-mercy the rest of the NBA. I enjoyed that. They are playing EXACTLY mirror image of the San Antonio Spurs from last season (who didn't finish strongly in their last month either but went 62-20) and won it all.

Atlanta's offense is still very good, the drop off in the last month has been on the defensive end only, that is not an issue for a team that needs to get its defensive guys back to 100% health.

Be easy on LeBron, he moved from South Beach to a sports championship deprived wasteland and has had TNT/ESPN on his nuts all year long hyping him up as the best "general manager" in basketball and "the uncontested title favorite". Be easy on the guy when you guys knock him out of the Eastern Conference Finals.

Hawks-Warriors for NBA Finals this year!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The Atlanta Hawks actually have quite a few injuries to some of their key defensive stalwarts. By all means those guys will be back by the postseason and will be back to doing what they have done, which is massacre-without-mercy the rest of the NBA. I enjoyed that. They are playing EXACTLY mirror image of the San Antonio Spurs from last season (who didn't finish strongly in their last month either but went 62-20) and won it all.

Atlanta's offense is still very good, the drop off in the last month has been on the defensive end only, that is not an issue for a team that needs to get its defensive guys back to 100% health.

Be easy on LeBron, he moved from South Beach to a sports championship deprived wasteland and has had TNT/ESPN on his nuts all year long hyping him up as the best "general manager" in basketball and "the uncontested title favorite". Be easy on the guy when you guys knock him out of the Eastern Conference Finals.

Hawks-Warriors for NBA Finals this year!
I'm fine with LeBron now that he's left South Beach for Cleveland. But when Cleveland (likely) plays Atlanta in the playoffs, I won't want the Hawks to show him any mercy BTW, I was a big-time Heat Hater during LeBron's time there, and I was despondent when they beat OKC and San Antonio for the championship. Now, looking back, I have to give the Heat a lot of credit for their clutch play. And I can think more kindly toward them now because they no longer pose a threat (for the short-term anyway).

Hawks-Warriors all the way!

Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 PM

779 posts, read 927,468 times
For the people who are voting, have you actually ever been to both cities? Why is the vote so slanted towards Atlanta?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
For the people who are voting, have you actually ever been to both cities? Why is the vote so slanted towards Atlanta?
Back to the poll question at hand...

I personally have not been to OKC and I haven't voted on this poll. It's just hard for OKC to compete against Atlanta because it's a much smaller city. It's sort of like creating a Miami vs. Jacksonville poll.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:29 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Atlanta is a real city with diversity, cultural opportunities, and all the amenities you would expect from a large urban area. Some people dislike Atlanta but its an alpha world city.

By comparison, OKC doesn't even meet the criteria for "sufficiency" on the GaWC list despite many of its peers and lower-tiered cities being on the list. About the only positives it offers is cheap suburban housing and low traffic.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:48 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I just say it's debatable because OKC recovered from the recession much earlier than Atlanta, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country right now (3.7%), and it's possible that OKC had a faster rate of job growth within the past year. So pound for pound, OKC may still have an edge.
Cities like OKC and Houston weathered the recession extremly well mainly because the Oil Industry was booming during that time. Now low oil prices are causing that same Oil Industry to make massive lay offs. And I imagine OKCs economy is suffering from this same as Houstons has been.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:03 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Cities like OKC and Houston weathered the recession extremly well mainly because the Oil Industry was booming during that time. Now low oil prices are causing that same Oil Industry to make massive lay offs. And I imagine OKCs economy is suffering from this same as Houstons has been.
Please don't bring this city in this.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Atlanta is a real city with diversity, cultural opportunities, and all the amenities you would expect from a large urban area. Some people dislike Atlanta but its an alpha world city.

By comparison, OKC doesn't even meet the criteria for "sufficiency" on the GaWC list despite many of its peers and lower-tiered cities being on the list. About the only positives it offers is cheap suburban housing and low traffic.
And so is Oklahoma City. It is entirely reasonable to compare two cities without jumping on the "there is no way they compare because one is small and one is large" snob-bandwagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJIHhypBmU

Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Please don't bring this city in this.
Ooops.

Right. Not trying to wake them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City