Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:35 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, what is SF msa + SJ msa? I work on the border of the two metros (I cross over the border for lunch often, Palo Alto to Menlo Park), and see the connectedness and the growth from the influx of tech/start up workers in both areas daily. In just a few years it's become really noticeable and is a bit astounding how quickly it has picked up.

Would be curious to know how much the SJ msa is contributing to that at the Bay Area level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It's definitely the traffic. I live Uptown and there is traffic all day/everyday. I dread leaving my apartment everyday. Adding that many people in such a short period of time seems unreal. The roadways just can't handle it. Until we can improve public transportation this city will be miserable to get around.

I'm ok with rapid growth as long as the city can handle it and Houston just can't handle it.
Are there any cities that can handle rapid growth traffic-wise?

Seattle's traffic is pretty bad, I don't know how they going to fix that.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Underground light rail expansions are already underway, although Seattle does have a really great bus system in operation. The state is also currently evaluating a request by our main transit agency (and Seattle's mayor) for a large stipend which would go to fund further transit projects.

Seattle is no NYC, but I would say that we're doing a lot of good things to improve our infrastructure. It also helps that our region is pretty much in full support of mass transit and TOD developments (save for your garden variety NIMBY).

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is SF msa + SJ msa? I work on the border of the two metros (I cross over the border for lunch often, Palo Alto to Menlo Park), and see the connectedness and the growth from the influx of tech/start up workers in both areas daily. In just a few years it's become really noticeable and is a bit astounding how quickly it has picked up.

Would be curious to know how much the SJ msa is contributing to that at the Bay Area level.
This list of US Metro's is based on the 2014 Census estimates,

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did a quick calculation and found that the combined SF/SJ metro would be 6.5 million. Combined they grew about 375k with about a 6% growth rate over the 2010 census...

Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This list of US Metro's is based on the 2014 Census estimates,

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did a quick calculation and found that the combined SF/SJ metro would be 6.5 million. Combined they grew about 375k with about a 6% growth rate over the 2010 census...
Thanks! Yeah I moved to the region in 2010 and it has been growing crazily (which is odd because most of the urban areas are fully built out... Where are they moving to? More people per house/apt?).

Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

I'm not sure. I only have experience with Houston so I can only speak on it. I try not to venture out too far from where I live but even getting a mile or 2 from my apartment can take half and hour to an hour because the congestion is so overwhelming. I know it's my own fault for moving into a district that is so well known for it's congestion but it doesn't seem like the city is trying very hard to ease some of it. There just seems to be rapid growth with no solutions to fix it. The city should invest in putting rail in the highest congested and growing districts like Uptown, Upper Kirby, Energy Corridor, and Westchase. The west side of town is the rapidly growing area and it doesn't seem like much focus is being put on getting people around in those areas.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:59 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I'm not sure. I only have experience with Houston so I can only speak on it. I try not to venture out too far from where I live but even getting a mile or 2 from my apartment can take half and hour to an hour because the congestion is so overwhelming. I know it's my own fault for moving into a district that is so well known for it's congestion but it doesn't seem like the city is trying very hard to ease some of it. There just seems to be rapid growth with no solutions to fix it. The city should invest in putting rail in the highest congested and growing districts like Uptown, Upper Kirby, Energy Corridor, and Westchase. The west side of town is the rapidly growing area and it doesn't seem like much focus is being put on getting people around in those areas.
Uptown (Galleria) has decide to go with dedicated bus lanes instead of light rail..

https://www.ridemetro.org/News/Documents/UptownBRT.aspx

Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
I'm Surprised Denver or Austin are not on the list.
In raw numbers, Austin was 11th in the United States right after 10th place Seattle and it was only behind Seattle by 370 people or so. Denver was 12th in the United States by raw numbers, about 3,000 people behind Seattle in total growth last year.

By percentages, Austin was first and Denver sixth. Here is a chart for that (my screenshot):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ic121523-a.png

Old 04-03-2015, 02:30 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Uptown (Galleria) has decide to go with dedicated bus lanes instead of light rail..

https://www.ridemetro.org/News/Documents/UptownBRT.aspx
I don't think that will help much but I hope it does. Anything that will reduce traffic on Westheimer and Post Oak Blvd will be appreciated. I wish Uptown had underground tunnels like Downtown. People in Houston would be more likely to walk when they can avoid the brutal weather.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:34 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I miss the 90s Houston. It was more laid back then and DJ screw was still alive.
I hear that about Atlanta, too. Things were better for residents before the 'explosion' of growth. It goes both ways, though. New people bring new opportunities to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City