Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond VA vs. New Orleans LA?
Richmond 55 53.40%
New Orleans 39 37.86%
Neither 9 8.74%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:55 PM

372 posts, read 449,749 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Richmond but I also think New Orleans would give off a more urban city vibe. Much more going on than your average city. New Orleans is more of a hate it or love it place. No in between. That's what a lot of people say. So Richmond may fit the average joe better and they may feel more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
^^^^youd be wrong to believe New Prleans gives off a "more urban city vibe". At worst, they are equally urban. Richmond is very urban...

Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^^^youd be wrong to believe New Prleans gives off a "more urban city vibe". At worst, they are equally urban. Richmond is very urban...
In a way, I think NOLA does give off a more urban vibe because there is more around the clock activity in the core due to the large tourism industry and the nightlife.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
^^^that argument is understood. And while Rich has these to a lesser degree, Richmond gives a sense of being in a larger city because it is far busier active than similarly sized cities. More things happening in NO at one time, I think the urbanity issue is a tight category and the argument can be had to swing the pendulum either way...

Old 06-01-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^^that argument is understood. And while Rich has these to a lesser degree, Richmond gives a sense of being in a larger city because it is far busier active than similarly sized cities. More things happening in NO at one time, I think the urbanity issue is a tight category and the argument can be had to swing the pendulum either way...
In terms of structural urbanity and density, it's close to being a draw I think.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Another interesting aspect, would have been if I had said "IF YOU WERE TO LIVE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS"....

I wonder if people's choices would have changed a bit...if you are viewing again, and you already voted, would that have influenced your choice?

Old 06-24-2015, 03:14 PM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
NO is culturally unique - its next closest peer would probly be the Chuck (Charleston, SC). That being said, I felt right at home when I was there for whatever reason. I also met a guy who was displaced for a few years after Katrina and said that of all the places he bounced around, Richmond was the only place that felt like home, so I guess that reinforced my perception as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Another interesting aspect, would have been if I had said "IF YOU WERE TO LIVE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS"....

I wonder if people's choices would have changed a bit...if you are viewing again, and you already voted, would that have influenced your choice?
Also add income level and single or with family. Those are big ones to consider as well. Living in the city limits would probably not have changed my vote.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:54 PM

89 posts, read 115,569 times
I didn't read all of the comments, but as someone Who has spent a significant amount of time in both cities, I am baffled at the large contrasts that people are seeing.

One can not ignore history. New Orleans had the largest slave market in the US. The second largest was Richmond. This huge fact alone has held a connectivity to the two cities that many won't take the time to research. The rampant poverty, the culture of the people, the accents, and even some of the neighborhoods are extremely relative. For instance, Jackson Ward, once considered the Harlem of the South, was home to many blues lounges and many-a NOLA musicians would travel to and from the two areas. The Jackson Ward neighborhood has an abundance of architecture found in New Orleans (the iron gated porches and even some balconies).

After my first NOLA excursion, I was most instantly intrigued by the dialect of black New Orleans residents and the relativity to those here in Richmond.

That aside, New Orleans is indeed a much greater sports city than RVA. And I would dare say that they are both equally as artsy.

Tourism is New Orleans steam engine. This is new to Richmond (and the city is experiencing record breaking tourism numbers and airport passengers).

Food and festivals are happening in RVA, but not quite like what one would find in New Orleans. (my second favorite city to visit after London).

But as a good as time that one may have in NOLA, the city is plagued by violence and corruption, something that RVA has been shaking itself from for years.

Believe it or not the metro areas are similar in size and there is reason for that.

As much as I love visiting NOLA (going for a sixth time in October), the quality of life in RVA is by far superior and I'd choose this area over any place LA has to offer any day.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVARoughingIt View Post
One can not ignore history. New Orleans had the largest slave market in the US. The second largest was Richmond.
I've seen the second-largest title attributed to Natchez, MS as well. It probably depends on the time period in question but there's no doubt that Richmond was among the largest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City