Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Denver vs Pittsburgh?
Seattle 17 29.31%
Denver 20 34.48%
Pittsburgh 21 36.21%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:13 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingcalm View Post
Personally call BS on the Seattle unfriendliness btw, although if you don't fit in there (which to me in Seattle is simply not trying to fit in, as tons of transplants in general complain about this), chances are you'll get exposed to the "Seattle Freeze," something I sorta have myself, lol.
There's probably something to it if nothing other then being a case of it being a very niche area that attracts people from all walks of life.

Although I'll never understand people who move to an area because of hype. Knew a guy who was a very Ozzie and Harriet, republican, and business oriented guy who had heard Portland was a great place to live. Moved without doing his due diligence and complained endlessly.

Personally I haven't lived in Seattle. Visited and know a handful of people from there. My results have been mixed. Only complaint I really have when it comes to Seattle is cost, but I'm sure I'd change my tune if I had a job that made the COL a non-issue.

The overcast winter skies are something to keep in mind. If the OP needs sunshine then Seattle and Pittsburgh are probably going to not be good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM

60 posts, read 103,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
There's probably something to it if nothing other then being a case of it being a very niche area that attracts people from all walks of life.

Although I'll never understand people who move to an area because of hype. Knew a guy who was a very Ozzie and Harriet, republican, and business oriented guy who had heard Portland was a great place to live. Moved without doing his due diligence and complained endlessly.

Personally I haven't lived in Seattle. Visited and know a handful of people from there. My results have been mixed. Only complaint I really have when it comes to Seattle is cost, but I'm sure I'd change my tune if I had a job that made the COL a non-issue.

The overcast winter skies are something to keep in mind. If the OP needs sunshine then Seattle and Pittsburgh are probably going to not be good choices.
Seattle has a ton of sunshine in the Spring and Summer months, there are times where it will be like this for multiple weeks. Pittsburgh's Springs and Summers can get severe weather coming every once in a while; something Seattle almost never gets. Denver is probably the best city for year-round sunshine though, with of course, plenty of snow and severe weather in the winter and summer respectively.

Cost is something that comes with those who have it. You usually need to be in the right financial mind to come here. I wish people wouldn't move here so impetuously as well and complain because usually those coming here don't know the full picture, or have never visited the area multiple times before.

My father moved in the 80s when the COL wasn't high at all, it was the late 90s and 2000s (Grunge, Dotcom, the works) which was when the COL boomed. It's still a good alternative to moving to California should you not want to pay their prices. Although keep in mind while Portland may be the cheaper option, COL will only increase with the hype it's been getting as of late, especially under the shadow of Portlandia.

I kind of made a mistake by moving to a place I knew I wouldn't like, which was Kentucky, but I had scholarship money coming my way and didn't get into my first choice college at the time, which was in the Seattle area. I also lived on my own for a bit and made some good earnings there. I live in a dormitory right now here, since I'm in graduate school, but jobs aren't too hard to find here if you know what and where you want to look for.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingcalm View Post
Seattle has a ton of sunshine in the Spring and Summer months, there are times where it will be like this for multiple weeks.
Spring and summer are pretty good lots of places. They have to come during winter to see if they can handle it.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:20 AM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Spring and summer are pretty good lots of places. They have to come during winter to see if they can handle it.
Handle what? Clouds with sun breaks and temps in the 50's?
Because from what I've heard from friends, that pretty much sums up Seattle's winter this year.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
In terms of excitement for a person in their 20's, I don't think Denver or Pittsburgh are even close to Seattle.
However, the COL is definitely something to consider.
I don't get it.....why? How is Seattle so much more exciting? I'm genuinely curious (not being snarky).

Old 04-10-2015, 01:46 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't get it.....why? How is Seattle so much more exciting? I'm genuinely curious (not being snarky).
The nightlife (about a dozen neighborhoods with good activity with Capitol Hill leading the way), the dining (perfect combination of fine dining, international food, street food), the shopping, the scenery & outdoor activities (water/mountains)

The couple of times I've been to Denver, I was not very impressed. I expected far more natural beauty. Also, outside of 16th street, I felt like downtown was quite dead. It feels MUCH smaller than Seattle.

Anyways, these are all opinions. I'm obviously not spewing out websites with facts or anything.... so yeah.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:01 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Every Friday and Saturday, the Pike/Pine district in Capitol Hill basically becomes a club fest with swarms of drunk woo girls and hipsters, and lots of open public consumption of booze, weed, and other paraphernalia.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 PM

60 posts, read 103,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Handle what? Clouds with sun breaks and temps in the 50's?
Because from what I've heard from friends, that pretty much sums up Seattle's winter this year.
This is true for this year. It's been a lot less rainy than it normally has been. First winter back and I got to be a part of what was my driest Seattle winter of my life.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
It is often warmer in Denver than much of the rest of the country in winter. I'm on my kindle right now, can't do all my bookmarks, but look at some weather websites, OP. I've lived in both Pittsburgh and Denver (past 35 years). Pittsburgh's winter isn't awful, but Denver's is usually warmer and always MUCH sunnier. I have no familiarity with Seattle.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:17 AM

19 posts, read 35,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle's medical job market would definitely be the largest of the three. If you can afford to manage 1,200-1,400 a month for rent, then you should go for it!
1.2k - 1.4k in Seattle? Are you sure about that? I'd figure a quite a bit more than that. Those are numbers I would expect to see 30 minutes out from Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City