Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:09 PM

200 posts, read 391,839 times

Advertisements

In terms of:

Traffic, People, Weather, Entertainment, Airports, drivers, friendliness, city to meet single women, easy to make friends, social vibrant life, scenery, crime rate, transportation, air pollution, street pollution, and shopping. Which city is better?

Ignore my old thread when I wrote in the title, "Denver and Dallas". They are equal in some ways, but it's obvious one city is more enjoyable to live in than the other. I need your thoughts on if Denver or Dallas is a better city. The reason I wrote that title was because City-Data would not let me write, "Denver vs. Dallas". However it now let me spell out the word "versus".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:17 PM

560 posts, read 666,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
In terms of:

Traffic, People, Weather, Entertainment, Airports, drivers, friendliness, city to meet single women, easy to make friends, social vibrant life, scenery, crime rate, transportation, air pollution, street pollution, and shopping. Which city is better?

Ignore my old thread when I wrote in the title, "Denver and Dallas". They are equal in some ways, but it's obvious one city is more enjoyable to live in than the other. I need your thoughts on if Denver or Dallas is a better city. The reason I wrote that title was because City-Data would not let me write, "Denver vs. Dallas". However it now let me spell out the word "versus".
Ah damnit. And I had just responded to that one. Here's my post from there:

Traffic - Denver is better

People - Tie

Weather - Denver is better

Entertainment - Dallas is better

Airports - Dallas is better

Drivers - Denver is better

Friendliness - Tie, see People above

Ciy to Meet Single Women - Dallas is better

Easy to Make Friends - Tie

Vibrant Social Life - Depends, edge: Denver

Scenery - Denver is better

Crime rate - Denver is better

Transportation - City: Denver, Metro: Dallas

Air pollution - Denver is better despite the brown cloud thermal inversions of being in the mtns

Street pollution - Litter? Muddy snow and ice? Oil slicks? Not sure what this means.

Shopping - Dallas is better

Old 04-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Ah damnit. And I had just responded to that one. Here's my post from there:

Traffic - Denver is better

People - Tie

Weather - Denver is better

Entertainment - Dallas is better

Airports - Dallas is better

Drivers - Denver is better

Friendliness - Tie, see People above

Ciy to Meet Single Women - Dallas is better

Easy to Make Friends - Tie

Vibrant Social Life - Depends, edge: Denver

Scenery - Denver is better

Crime rate - Denver is better

Transportation - City: Denver, Metro: Dallas

Air pollution - Denver is better despite the brown cloud thermal inversions of being in the mtns

Street pollution - Litter? Muddy snow and ice? Oil slicks? Not sure what this means.

Shopping - Dallas is better

So we can say that traffic overall is better in Denver. We can then conclude that you can easily venture out of your suburb in Denver without getting stuck in traffic. However, it's really cold and snowy in Denver, but it's not so hot and so humid. In some ways, Denver is better, in some ways, Dallas is better. But for living wise, it looks a lot like Denver is a less stressful city, except the snow. And for litter, I'm talking about garbage on the streets, parking lots, highways, and overall garbage. Like seeing a TV thrown out in the middle of a highway or seeing a lot of trash on the sides and trash in the plants and in the grass and in the terrain. Trash in the parking lots too. Big Macs, burger, pizza in a parking spot. Where I live, you see all of that.

Now, what about Denver vs. Phoenix?

Traffic -

People -

Weather -

Entertainment -

Airports -

Drivers -

Friendliness -

Ciy to Meet Single Women -

Easy to Make Friends -

Vibrant Social Life -

Scenery -

Crime rate -

Transportation -

Air pollution -

Street pollution -

Shopping -

Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Big Macs, burger, pizza in a parking spot. Where I live, you see all of that.
People where you live, leave pizzas in parking spots? That's a funny visual

Overall I would rather live in Denver.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM

I've seen even Chinese food once in the mall parking lot with flies all over it. Where I live is a nasty filthy city. Not putting it down, but seriously, the city council needs to hire people to clean up the litter. It's dirty, but the council never does anything about it. Even if you email them, they never listen.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM

78 posts, read 123,604 times
I've been to both cities and i would pick Denver. It felt like a very charming beautiful city, plus the Rockies in the background. I just loved it.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Would you say Denver is better than Phoenix and Dallas? But it's really cold and freezing in Denver. If it snows a lot, you can't really leave your house if the snow is blocking the door.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Would you say Denver is better than Phoenix and Dallas? But it's really cold and freezing in Denver. If it snows a lot, you can't really leave your house if the snow is blocking the door.
Can't really compare to Phoenix because I haven't spent any meaningful time there, but with Denver vs. Dallas it's totally subjective and depends on what you like.

Denver's strong suit is outdoor activity - fishing, camping, hiking, biking, skiing, mountaineering (and to a much lesser extent boating, water skiing, etc).

Outdoorsiness in Dallas is very water-centric. Backyard pools are common and people flock to the metroplex's lakes (I've swam in them and find them to be just a tad bit disgusting).
Dallas is also big on indoorsy stuff like shopping malls, restaurants and the arts.

As far as winters go, Denver is one of the milder cities that experiences a true 4-season climate. There's a difference between "winter" and "snow season." Winter in Denver is late November to early March. Snow season, OTOH, is early October to late April.

Yes, Denver averages about 54" of snow per year, but it doesn't all fall at once and it rarely ever sticks around for more than a couple weeks at a time. It's not uncommon to have a handful of 60 (or even 70) degree days in February that are then followed by a few days in the 30s and 40s with 6" of snow.

Winter in Dallas is definitely milder than Denver, but it still occasionally gets cold and wintry precip (when it happens) can completely paralyze the metroplex.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:53 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
Well Dallas does have NHRA drag racing and NASCAR both are nationally televised. Dallas has a big theme park as well. I don't understand why Dallas outdoor activities are downplayed a lot on this site. Not to mention Dallas has a huge classic car culture scene.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:17 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
As far as outdoor activities, Denver wins that one hands down. I mean, many people consider Denver to be the "outdoorsiest" city in the USA. with just a 30 minute drive from downtown denver, you have access to some of the best hiking, biking, skiing, rafting, and mountain climbing in America. Denver is also the fittest city in the country, #1. There are a lot of healthy, in shape people around here. So guys, if you like thousands upon thousands of fit, pretty women in yoga pants, Denver is your place. Ladies, if you like fit guys with tight hipster shirts, Denver is for you LOL.

And for scenery, the Rocky Mountains are so big, that you can literally see them from EVERYWHERE in the metro area. If you're looking west, all you see is snowcapped mountains spanning north to south as far as the eye can see. Pictures don't do it justice.

The people here are more friendly than any other place I've lived. According to all the different little trendy polls that come out annually, Denver is typically seen as one of the "happiest" cities in America, so maybe that's why everyone around here is so friendly. Denver is also very progressive, which i really like. There is no judgement here. For the most part, this city accepts any and everybody.

300 days of sunshine in Denver. very dry too, which I love after living in DC for 19 years. average humidity on an 80 degree day in July is 15-20%. very tolerable.

Let's see, what else. Denver has arguably the #1 outdoor music venue, Red Rocks. if you've never heard of it, its an amphitheater that was literally carved into the side of a mountain. all the big name artists of every genre come here during the summer. I've been to at least 10 concerts there since moving here in 2011. I've never experienced anything like it. Hell, I was at the Nas concert there this past Saturday 4/18. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it LOL.

In my adult life, I have lived in DC, Charlotte, San Antonio, Seattle, and now Denver. Been here over 3 years now, and my wife and I are never leaving. We are both east coasters who have been sucked into the beautiful, friendly, safe, active city of Denver. We plan on living here for the next 15-20 years, before eventually heading further west to SoCal, preferably San Diego.

All I know about Dallas, is that its the home of the Dallas Cowboys. Pew! Go Redskins! (see my screen name lol). Honestly though, I've heard great things about the DFW area. But between the heat and the Dallas Cowboys, I could never live there lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City