Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:50 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Great thread idea.

1) Montreal- My hands-down favorite place to eat in North America (Tokyo is my favorite in the world). I love the French influence and Quebec ingredients. Poutine, duck, rabbit, venison, rich delicious heaven.

2) Mexico City- Best street food in the country (and that I've experienced in the world).

3) Boston/Providence- I'll be a homer for a second but I think I'm justified. We have some of the best seafood in the world and I love our clam shacks, raw bars, and fresh local seafood (Scallops, Lobster, Striped Bass, Cod, etc.). I had Skate Wing the other day and it was incredible. Didn't even know you could eat. I always considered skate a throwaway fish.

4) San Francisco- It has a great foodie culture and I like the Asian influence. I do like the food truck scene in San Francisco as well. It's a great city to branch out of one's comfort zone.

5) New York City- It has everything. I could put it on here for food carts alone, but there's so much more.

honorable mentions: New Orleans, Chicago, and Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Los Angeles
San Francisco
New York
Seattle
Mexico City

Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
In no particular order:
San Francisco Bay Area (this is my first place nationally and internationally, I'll admit)
Los Angeles
Vancouver
New York
Seattle

Honorable mentions: Orange County (CA), Sacramento, Chicago, Atlanta, Louisville (KY). Yes, Louisville is an honorable mention--a large foodie punch for a relatively small metropolis.

Miami and South Florida is, without dispute, the Cuban and maybe even Latin American (sans Mexican) food capital of the world outside of Latin America. I don't know how they fare in other categories, however. I haven't had enough experience with S. Fla. to make an informed opinion.

I think I'd also enjoy the cuisine in Tijuana, Mexico City, Toronto, Montreal, and Boston, though I have yet to visit those cities.

As an aside, outside of North America, I really liked what I experienced culinarily in the Randstad region (Netherlands), Berlin, and Prague.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
1.San Francisco
2. Vancouver
3. New York
4. Toronto
5. Mexico City

HM: New Orleans and Montreal

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 PM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
1. San Francisco
2. New Orleans
3. New York
4. Chicago
5. Tie between Louisville and Miami

Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
1. San Francisco - I think it's the city where you actually have to go out of your way to have a bad or even mediocre meal
2. New York - this city is just #1 for nearly everything for me, but a #2 in food
3. Los Angeles - I think CA as a state is just the best state for food, so that's that
4. New Orleans - I think it shares "foodie culture" with SF as something embedded in its lifeblood
5. Charleston - such good food there

6 would probably be Chicago, and if it weren't for the really good food I've been eating in LA the past couple years, the two would be swapped

Old 04-28-2015, 12:20 AM

282 posts, read 350,727 times
NYC
SF
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Chicago
NYC
New Orleans
Savannah
Houston

Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Mexico City
New Orleans
Montreal
New York
Los Angeles

Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Boston/New England coast - Lobsters, lobster rolls, steamed clams, scallops, I can't get enough of it. North End of Boston is the best Little Italy, I love ordering Antipasto salads with all the Italian meats and cheeses, yum! I really like the neighborhood Brazilian restaurants in Boston. There is one in East Boston that has a great bakery along with the carnivores dream being served dinner. I much prefer it over the high end Brazilian steakhouse found in other cities.

Seattle - My favorite Thai food anywhere, Swimming Rama at Thai Toms (chicken, peanut sauce, spinach, and rice noodles). New England clam chowder is surprisingly very good in Seattle with native clams form the sound, and an amazing selection if fish, Alaskan halibut being my favorite. Smoked salmon eggs benedict for breakfast paired with North America's best coffee, Seattle is a seriously awesome foodie town.

Hawaii - Macadamia crusted mahi mahi with mango salsa was to die for, best sushi I've had anywhere, a divine selection of fresh fruit and produce, and macademia and coconut pancakes for breakfast. Add Kona coffee and great cocktails (mai tais!) into the mix, it all makes the food one of the most appealing reasons to visit the islands.

Santa Fe, NM - Start the day with huevos rancheros covered in red chile sauce at Tia Sophias, moving on to the best tortilla soup at the Tesuque Market, and the lamb burrito smothered in green chiles at Atrisco Cafe. I like a lot of Mexican food, but New Mexican is my favorite variation of it.

Baltimore - Today's news headlines aside (this city could use some love), I love Maryland crab, crabcakes, and crab soup. Yeah, seafood is my favorite which weighs heavily on my list of favorites.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-28-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City