Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you think is best to live in?
California 38 59.38%
Texas 13 20.31%
Colorado 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:59 AM

90 posts, read 148,074 times

Advertisements

Which is the most fun for young adults (ages18-25). And there has to be cities with good public transportation. And good paying jobs (that pay over $70,000 a year). And a good city to start a business would be great. I'm not sure I'd enjoy living in a big city downtown, at least not for a long period of time. I definitely want to live in an urban area, a city, not small town/rural. But I do like quietness at night, where you can go to sleep without hearing noise outside. Noise like police sirens, talking, car alarms, gunshots, people yelling, etc. That'd be so ANNOYING! If I could live in an area where it's quiet at night but in a city (like the suburbs) but lived close to the city, close enough to walk (for me 2 miles or less) or there's public transportation that goes to the suburbs and to the city downtown. If I could live in a calmer area but be able to go to the city downtown everyday that'd be perfect. I like walking and 2 miles should take less than an area. Walking lets me think. I think best in the shower, and I think good while walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,599,679 times
What kind of skills do you have? What kind of job are you looking for?

Once you answer that, then look accordingly.

Best Regards,
A 25 year old dude.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:52 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,273,850 times
I wouldn't live in any of them, but then again I'm an East Coast guy all the way. I voted for Texas but I think I should have gone with Colorado. Can I re-vote?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
It might sound weird since I'm 19, but I think I'd actually like to live in a quiet area, like suburbs. BUT, it has to be in walking distance to the city (downtown) so at the most 2 miles, or there can (and should) be public transportation. I don't mind walking 2 miles since that takes less than an hour, but the weather could be bad or I might be in a hurry. If I live in a suburban area that could be fine as long as I can go to a city environment area everyday, that's where all the good jobs are, and all the fun, and all the social stuff.
You should check out Raleigh. Seriously.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 PM

90 posts, read 148,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
You should check out Raleigh. Seriously.
OK, can you live there without the need to ever drive?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Not really.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 PM

8,613 posts, read 14,961,533 times
California is wackadoodle left. Texas is wackadoodle right. Colorado is straight down the middle.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:17 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,111,973 times
Colorado is basically becoming California on the Plains, so just for the real deal...California. You have better weather and the ocean.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:34 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,665,765 times
California attracts lots of young people from both Colorado and Texas because of the breadth and depth of educational, professional, cultural and outdoor recreational opportunities as well as the gorgeous weather, unique scenery and generally youth-oriented culture in most of the major cities.

Colorado and Texas, OTOH, tend to attract lots of individuals and families from California who are looking for more affordable housing and/or are lower on the socioeconomic ladder. Also, a few universities in Colorado, most notably UC-Boulder, draw lots of students from California. However, that's pretty much the extent of it.

Most native Californians are particularly adverse to moving to Texas for a host of reasons I'll refrain from listing. The ones that do aren't usually from California to begin with--many East Coasters and Midwesterners who were previously living in California move to Texas when they have families to be closer to their families of origin in addition to enjoying lower housing costs.

California, FTW.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM

24 posts, read 44,196 times
Quote:
If you don't want to drive ever, I'm not sure how much you'd like Colorado or Texas, the public transit is not good there and the cities tend to feel fairly suburban and sprawling. Frankly, if you want good public transit, the only place west of the Mississippi that has decent public transit is San Francisco, and even that is a step below transit systems like Boston, Chicago, DC, New York. LA has a pretty good bus-based system as well, but it's probably still easier to have a car there.

The only cities in the U.S. that I would say it feels like you don't ever need a car in are Boston, New York, Chicago, DC, and San Francisco. Philadelphia is kind of borderline, you could probably live there without a car, but it might be annoying sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City