Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
I'm planning to relocate to one of these cities in about a year so I still have a plenty of time, I work as accountant so Job Prospects is the main concern.
I love 4 distinct four seasons, Don't mind snow, I like to relocate to a place where people are active and friendly.
sport will be an advantage, I'm addictive to fishing and walking, I love also Hiking and swimming, city with a plan to extend light rail will be a great for the future as I like to have the option to not rely solely on car.

What I really hate is long depressing winters, high crime, unaffordability ,high taxes and unemployment.
cities I love and was thinking of Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle and to a less degree Orlando.

MPLS: is the active and sports and economic prospects and lakes, fishing!
What I hate what I keep hearing about the harsh weather and bugs

Seattle: I love to be near water, Green lush don't mind a lot of rain love the cool weather and Mountains is a plus! also the economy is booming but I hate Seattle Freeze and unaffordability.

Denver: I love The Rockies! the friendliness and activeness, the weather is great , what I hate is the grey trees that's why I love MPLS and Seattle being aside from major cities, I mean Seattle near Vancouver!
I love the state as a whole it's my favorite state but what about fishing there?!

Of course you have to consider which gives the best job prospects. My sister is a CPA in Denver and their economy is strong but so is Seattle and Mpls as well. I would rule out Mpls due to the freezing cold winters and no mountains. To accept Seattle, you have to be able to deal with the cloudy/rainy winters but I don't think there's anything else bad about Seattle because the high cost of housing is offset by the incomes and no state income tax. Denver to me might be your best option provided you can deal with a bit of cold and snow as that's about the only negative to Denver as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Of course you have to consider which gives the best job prospects. My sister is a CPA in Denver and their economy is strong but so is Seattle and Mpls as well. I would rule out Mpls due to the freezing cold winters and no mountains. To accept Seattle, you have to be able to deal with the cloudy/rainy winters but I don't think there's anything else bad about Seattle because the high cost of housing is offset by the incomes and no state income tax. Denver to me might be your best option provided you can deal with a bit of cold and snow as that's about the only negative to Denver as well.
Being from Wisconsin I don't even notice the winters in Colorado outside maybe 7-10 days split up into a few groups, tops.

The only other problem with Colorado would be the lack of lakes/etc and the lack of a grounded intellectual culture (though the average person seems fairly intelligent). Also, the downtown is booming decently and vibrant, but is not cosmopolitan and the whole state of Colorado has a sort of suburban type feel IMO, in terms of the "psychosphere." But I absolutely love living here. Only place I could see myself preferring is Seattle - but I've never visited.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,550 times
I just moved away from Denver, and IMHO there are a few misconceptions about it that a lot of people seem to have. Denver circa 2000 is not the same as the Denver now.

Biggest surprises to me were that
- Denver is a lot more expensive than a lot of people think
-the population within the city core is A LOT less friendly than a lot of people think

My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City