Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Sacramento
Milwaukee 43 58.11%
Sacramento 31 41.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 AM

6,888 posts, read 8,265,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
In terms of weather and outdoor activities Sac obviously wins. However the problem with Sac and the reason it is "underrated" is because the city really has no downtown. When you think of a city you think of a developed urban core which is the focal point of the city. Sac's downtown and urban core is probably the worst for a city of its size... Downtown is filled with abandoned buildings and absolutely nothing to do or see.

People in Sac all live in the suburbs. This creates for a "city" of complete sprawl filled with shopping centers and parking lots. As a Sac native I think it's best for outsiders to avoid this place until it dramatically improves. There's a reason that tourists don't visit and conventions don't come here and it's not because Sac is "underrated."
Seriously Sacramento has some doubters like this posting. Sacramento always had and still has a downtown with a real grid that is very pedestrian; it also has a lot of suburb because it boomed in the 60-90's like the rest of California which was almost all suburban.

Sacramento's grid (downtown and midtown) is the same size and scale as Portlamd almost identical.

To say that there is nothing nice and happening in Sacramento is totally false and delusional.

Sacramento has passionate folks we disagree on everything especially growth; but this is an exciting time to be in Sacramento and be part of the new changes and improvements.

And Sacramento has tourists always has because it's a beautiful city, just not on a massive scale like some of of the convention cities.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-06-2015 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
I like both, but Sacramento has more to offer for me.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Sorry, I've deleted my last two messages, as the links appeared to contain personal information. I'll try to figure it out, and post again.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM

661 posts, read 690,798 times
Sacramento and Milwaukee both were born around the same time, mid 1800's, but Milwaukee exploded with population right from the get-go while Sacramento had steadier growth. Consequently Milwaukee has some great architecture in it's urban core, definitely more than Sacramento. Sacramento does have hundreds of perfectly gridded, tree lined, flat blocks in the downtown/midtown area though. How does Milwaukee do with integrating the river & lake? Sac has Interstate 5 splitting a portion of downtown and the river (which sucks big time) but the metro as a whole integrates pretty well with its lake and rivers and takes advantage of them.

Capitol Corridor, the Amtrak commuter train from Sacramento to the Bay Area, runs about a dozen round trip trains a day. Currently the trip is done in a bit less than 2 hours but there are plans to increase the speed to 120mph and cut times dramatically. Whats the rail connection between Milwaukee and Chicago like? I'd imagine pretty good.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 AM

89 posts, read 132,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Seriously Sacramento has some doubters like this posting. Sacramento always had and still has a downtown with a real grid that is very pedestrian; it also has a lot of suburb because it boomed in the 60-90's like the rest of California which was almost all suburban.

Sacramento's grid (downtown and midtown) is the same size and scale as Portlamd almost identical.

To say that there is nothing nice and happening in Sacramento is totally false and delusional.

Sacramento has passionate folks we disagree on everything especially growth; but this is an exciting time to be in Sacramento and be part of the new changes and improvements.

And Sacramento has tourists always has because it's a beautiful city, just not on a massive scale like some of of the convention cities.
I never said there was nothing nice about Sacramento. CA has tremendous natural beauty including the Sac area.

I just said Sac lacks a vibrant urban core, hence why no one really knows or cares about it. Yea it may be true that the downtown/midtown is the same size as Portland, but Portland is much more vibrant and inter-connected.

The true development failure is building I-5 between downtown and the river. All other cities build along their rivers and lakes, they don't build a huge freeway blocking the town from the water.

Sac is improving that is true, but it's literally 20-30 years behind other similarly sized cities in terms of development. Maybe things will change in the next 5-10 years, one can only hope.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Attached are some links, that show Milwaukee's Lake Michigan lakefront, the Brady Street neighborhood, the Riverwalk, and Milwaukee's Third Ward. My absolute favorite part of Milwaukee would be the east side neighborhoods along Lake Drive....I'll work on finding something that captures the stunning beauty of these areas. For now....

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=939

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...%27s+riverwalk

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...reet+Milwaukee

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...kee+Third+Ward

A new West Elm will be opening this spring in the Third Ward. The Third Ward is full of condos, with a fair amount of Chicago residents who reside here on the week-ends.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...arley+davidson

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...d=0CKcBEKIqMA0

Milwaukee is the headquarters for Harley Davidson, and even though I'm not a biker, the festivities are awesome. Bikers come from all over the world, and the Iron Horse Hotel, is a favorite.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM

661 posts, read 690,798 times
Quote:
The true development failure is building I-5 between downtown and the river. All other cities build along their rivers and lakes, they don't build a huge freeway blocking the town from the water.
Sure they do, Seattle being a prime example. That's why connected waterfronts are to be treasured and why I was curious about Milwaukee's.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Sure they do, Seattle being a prime example. That's why connected waterfronts are to be treasured and why I was curious about Milwaukee's.

Milwaukee's downtown adjoins the lakefront and the river, as is evidenced in the pictures I attached to my last post.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Yea it may be true that the downtown/midtown is the same size as Portland, but Portland is much more vibrant and inter-connected.

Sac is improving that is true, but it's literally 20-30 years behind other similarly sized cities in terms of development. Maybe things will change in the next 5-10 years, one can only hope.
Yes, Portland maybe more vibrant, but Sacramento is vibrant as well, and it will get even better as we are on the right track. Young people that care about their city and have pride in it, can make a big difference, sounds like you are starting to care more, hopefully you (as well as others) can be the change that you think Sacramento needs. Walk the streets of midtown on a Friday or Saturday night. Spend some time in one of the many bars and restaurants, walk around a lot, you will see Sacramento is more urban than you think.

You are overcritical of Sacramento, the city itself is around 480,000 population, there many other cities more suburban than Sacramento like cities in Florida, Arizona, SoCal, much of the south and midwest.

20-30 years is an exaggeration, Sacramento is about 10 yrs behind Portland in developing the urban core.

Sacramento along with San Diego and Portland were one of the first cities to build light rail in the last 30 years. In fact, much of the light rails cars are manufactured in Sacramento. The only facility in the USA.

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/mobility/u...ight-rail.aspx

Old 05-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:

San Francisco, Seattle, Boston all great cities, right, they did something worse than Sacramento, they built huge, double-decker freeways right on top of their waterfronts.

The Embarcadero Freeway in SF - because the 1989 earthquake made it unusable, they were given an excuse to tear it down and now we have the spectacular waterfront along the Bay. Are you too young to remember SF's horrible Embarcadero Freeway?

Seattle is tearing down their waterfront double decker freeway either now or soon to be.

Boston tore theirs down as well, do you remember the Big Dig in Boston.

By the way, Guess who advocated for I-5 to be built where it is now, the same person who tried to de-rail our new Arena, and she is still trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City