Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would be best to live in?
Pittsburgh, PA MSA 17 22.08%
Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN MSA 2 2.60%
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI MSA 6 7.79%
Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY MSA 0 0%
Providence-Warwick, RI-MA MSA 2 2.60%
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA 2 2.60%
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI MSA 14 18.18%
Rochester, NY MSA 3 3.90%
Columbus, OH MSA 1 1.30%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA MSA 30 38.96%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:13 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think that's a very smug statement. Portland is the whitest "city" on this list. It's metro area actually makes it more diverse which is not the norm. Minneapolis, Columbus and Grand Rapids are all healthy and growing metro areas. Pittsburgh has transformed itself, As I understand it Providence has emerged from decline as well. Louisville is a city on the rise, and Cinci doesn't feel like it's struggling economically either.

The actual city (not metro) numbers below:

Portland: 72.2%
Louisville: 68.3%
Pittsburgh: 64.8%
Minneapolis: 60.3%
Columbus: 59.3%
Grand Rapids: 59%
Cincinnati: 48.1%
Buffalo: 45.8%
Rochester: 37.6%
Providence: 37.6%
Both TO and AGAINST your point, Minneapolis' growth is tied almost strictly to its immigration growth rate, while the same is true with Detroit -- yet Minneapolis is fairly thriving and Detroit is not (although it's turning a corner, but its immigration figures aren't new).

So, in short, I see an imperfect correlation between immigration and prosperity, but I would generally agree that cities with high immigration tend to be more progressive/growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 AM

676 posts, read 989,462 times
3 of my favourite cities are on the list......

Pittsburgh
Minneapolis
Portland

Old 05-04-2015, 02:23 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,138 times
There are no more "mostly White" cities in the US.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:33 PM

80 posts, read 95,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
There are no more "mostly White" cities in the US.

Of the cities on those list, I've been to Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Portland. Pittsburgh was definitely the most white, followed by Portland.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:02 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Both TO and AGAINST your point, Minneapolis' growth is tied almost strictly to its immigration growth rate, while the same is true with Detroit -- yet Minneapolis is fairly thriving and Detroit is not (although it's turning a corner, but its immigration figures aren't new).

So, in short, I see an imperfect correlation between immigration and prosperity, but I would generally agree that cities with high immigration tend to be more progressive/growing.
Immigration is just a form of growth. As with anything if something is not growing it is stagnating. If an area is growing that is a sign that it is healthy. If the notion that growth is only healthy with the addition of foreign nationals, then I think it's disingenuous. There are plenty of areas that are growing fast with immigrants and others, but the bulk of their growth is in an uneducated work force (i.e. sunbelt cities). You cannot tell me they are positioned better for the future simply because of an immigrant base.

Also the assumption is that because these metro areas are majority white that they are receiving little to no immigration. In Grand Rapids Metro area the largest minority group are people of Mexican and Latino dissent. I doubt anyone participating in this thread would assume this. To me that signals that there is a level of Immigration taking place to an extent not assumed. There are two rural commuter counties included in this metro that are 95% white deluding the statistics of the actual urban areas, which are closer to 70% white. The numbers don't always tell the full story. I know Grand Rapids isn't the only city on this list in similar circumstances.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
So I just looked at the metro areas with a population of over 1,000,000 people. I found these places which had the highest % of non-hispanic white residents.
Good for you... All your choices looked good to me... You won't be near me.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-09-2015 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-09-2015, 09:50 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Portland has a large homeless population, but I guess they are mainly white homeless so that will work.

Of the list I'd pick Portland, as it seems the least depressing except for the constant rain and cloud cover, and lack of jobs.

Black people often ask how many blacks live in town to check if they will be accepted, and not harassed or stick out. I get that. Especially when they are married to another who is not black, that's when they ask the most.

Hispanics fresh off the border huddle together to get use to America and need other spanish speakers around at first. I get that.

Same with other "fresh off the boat" immigrants of Asian decent. The food they are use to and language barriers make that something you can understand. Other than that, being Asian American myself, we never ask about that once we've gone through several generations and just feel as though we are Americans now.

But, I'm finding it hard to understand why one would want an all white city. If you were German, or Swedish, I would get the desire to find others so you could slowly assimilate into the culture here but if you are just white skinned, and just want to see other white skin more, that is just an odd reason for me to understand.
Do you feel harassed by other cultures? Just curious. Are white people starting to feel prosecuted in America?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:28 AM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Just move to Madison WI if you want an all white city.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
Just don't leave your house, weirdo OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City