Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:39 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yeh apparently it causes selective memory disease
Exactly. Along with widespread delusional thinking, and outright lies. None of which are attributable to Red John, however. He likes facts and is obviously biased, but he doesn't simply make crap up.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. Along with widespread delusional thinking, and outright lies. None of which are attributable to Red John, however. He likes facts and is obviously biased, but he doesn't simply make crap up.
I agree.He does like his facts and yes he is biased.At least he is honest.

Last edited by afonega1; 05-28-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
You guys are still arguing this? Holy crap. Miami is a more international city. It's not that big of a deal though. Atlanta is also an international city and becoming more and more diverse each year. Miami just happens to be located right along the tip of the U.S. which makes it easy for access from South America, Central America, and the West Indies. It's not very surprising it would have a large concentration of peoples from those regions. That's why a city like Houston or Los Angeles has a lot of Mexicans. They're extremely close to the border.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You guys are still arguing this? Holy crap. Miami is a more international city. It's not that big of a deal though. Atlanta is also an international city and becoming more and more diverse each year. Miami just happens to be located right along the tip of the U.S. which makes it easy for access from South America, Central America, and the West Indies. It's not very surprising it would have a large concentration of peoples from those regions. That's why a city like Houston or Los Angeles has a lot of Mexicans. They're extremely close to the border.
Technically Miami is more international but its not more diverse.That was the point I was making.A bunch of small Latin American countries and small island countries without any significant populations from Asia or Africa does not make it more global or diverse.

Is common sense that Miami would have a heavy population from those countries closer to the border of Florida/Miami.
I would never make this argument with SF,LA,Boston or even Houston

Last edited by afonega1; 05-29-2015 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You'll find a couple of Asian themed plazas throughout Broward County. Broward is about 4% Asian out of 1.8million people. There are also HUGE Islamic centers in Broward, Southern Palm Beach, and Northern Miami-Dade(Miami Gardens).
So I was curious and all O could find on Asians when i googled was a CD thread asking"Where are the Asians in Broward County?"
They seem to be mainly on a university campus,
//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ity-where.html Even syill it does not seem to be a very visible presence throught the metro.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:06 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
I would agree with you Miami isn't that diverse if the Latin population wasn't full of different cultures and nationalities. The thing is, A West Indie/Caribbean is not nearly same thing as a Venezuelan culture.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Technically Miami is more international but its not more diverse.
We're more diverse, much more diverse. You hear a much larger variety of languages spoken here on a daily basis than you will in Atlanta.

Our police is required to be tri-lingual (English, Spanish, French), I doubt Atlanta's police are required to be even bi-lingual. Besides English and Spanish, we have a such a critical mass of people who only speak French, that this was a requirement of the police in dealing with the primarily Haitian community.

Out of the 4 major races the census bureau keeps track of (White, Black, Asian, "Hispanic"), we are much more diverse than you in those 3 categories. Your White population is overwhelming White American. Your Black population is overwhelming Black American. Your Asians are still small. Your "Hispanic" are primarily Mexican. At least there they are not American however they are also small and what could be said insignificant part of your city.

For Miami, our White population has a significant portion from Europe: Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Bulgaria, etc.

Our Latino population is one of the most diverse in the nation, from a multitude of Caribbean and South American countries.

Our Black population is split, about evenly, between Black Americans and Black Latinos and Black Islanders (Jamaicans, Bahamians).

Yes our asian population is small, but so is yours. Don't brag about something you're poor in. It's been somewhat pathetic seeing you trot out pictures of strip malls in suburbs with Asian lettering.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Well I've been saying that all along but he asked, so I'm answering. Hakkasan at her base is good Cantonese restaurant but since it's an upscale restaurant it experiments with both French and other asian cuisines and forms a fusion of kind. Tbh, those ethnic hole-in-wall restaurants I don't like. I'm always scared of the quality of the ingredients and the sanitary conditions. On top of that I travel to asia often enough, I prefer a fusion of sorts instead of strict "authenticity" (i.e common food). Often in Asia I end up eating at the upper end restaurants that are fusions anyway in the form of Hakkasan.

But all of this is off topic, I'm sure Miami has hole in the wall Cantonese food too. But you'll get better food at Hakkasan which is inspired on Cantonese cuisine.

As a side note, one thing Miami has been doing is fusion of Asian/Latin food. I love the sushi/cebiche/ceviche bars that mix Japanese with Peruvian/Mexican/Central American style of preparing raw fish.
Hakkasan is Cantonese inspired, sure. Again, doesn't make much sense as a point of reference when talking about the Asian community there. Miami doesn't seem to do hole in the wall Cantonese food, because there isn't enough of a community for it. If it exists, it's probably way out of the way in some random strip mall and probably quite small. Miami does do Cantonese-ish American Chinese joints and takeout places especially in more rundown areas of the city I've seen. Prefer what you want, but it seems like pointing towards Hakkasan is pretty much a sure sign that the Asian community in Miami is virtually nonexistent and the selection of actual restaurants serving Asian cuisines is pretty slim. It's apparently not even big enough for people living in the area to actually recognize what is and isn't actually Asian cuisine.

Fusion can be good, but it's generally not so good when a restaurant is trying for fusion or putting itself in a fusion category. Upper end restaurants in Asia comes in a lot of varieties and not necessarily the sort of conscious fusion typified by Hakkasan. If the upper end restaurants you keep on seeing are of that type, you're probably being taken there because your hosts probably figure that's what you like or you're consciously seeking those out. I actually think I've gone to a Hakkasan in Shanghai before which is kind of funny because of the large expat and tourists crowd.

Peruvian cuisine is fantastic and distinct, and it's really great in Miami. So very good.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-29-2015 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
We're more diverse, much more diverse. You hear a much larger variety of languages spoken here on a daily basis than you will in Atlanta.

Our police is required to be tri-lingual (English, Spanish, French), I doubt Atlanta's police are required to be even bi-lingual. Besides English and Spanish, we have a such a critical mass of people who only speak French, that this was a requirement of the police in dealing with the primarily Haitian community.

Out of the 4 major races the census bureau keeps track of (White, Black, Asian, "Hispanic"), we are much more diverse than you in those 3 categories. Your White population is overwhelming White American. Your Black population is overwhelming Black American. Your Asians are still small. Your "Hispanic" are primarily Mexican. At least there they are not American however they are also small and what could be said insignificant part of your city.

For Miami, our White population has a significant portion from Europe: Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Bulgaria, etc.

Our Latino population is one of the most diverse in the nation, from a multitude of Caribbean and South American countries.

Our Black population is split, about evenly, between Black Americans and Black Latinos and Black Islanders (Jamaicans, Bahamians).

Yes our asian population is small, but so is yours. Don't brag about something you're poor in. It's been somewhat pathetic seeing you trot out pictures of strip malls in suburbs with Asian lettering.
Yea, this post pretty much sums it up. There's also a fun little French Canadian community. Super exotic, I know.

Oh, here's a great idea. How about one or all of these cities just start taking in all the Rohingya refugees and make a Rohingya town? Super win-win for everyone. Actually, there are a number of refugee crises in south and southeast Asia, I think. Let's see if any city in this poll is really serious about winning this city-data who-has-more-asians debate.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-29-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 AM

176 posts, read 174,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, this post pretty much sums it up. There's also a fun little French Canadian community. Super exotic, I know.
I'm not sure if they're counted as Hispanics or as Asians in our population, but there is a sizable number of ethnic Asians that hail from Latin American and Caribbean countries. I know many Chinese-Cubans, Chinese-Jamaicans, Japanese-Peruvians, Asian-Brazilians, and Indian-Trinis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City