Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not when the vast majoriy come from just a coupe of regions.20 Caribbean and Latin American countries dont equal about jack crap when Miami doesnt have countries like South Korea,Switzerland,Belgium,Nigeria,India (some of the most populous, major international economies and important but instead has freakin' Barbados,Bahamas,Paraguay,Suriname,etc.lol

Many of those countries are very small and not populous at all.Just having a large number of consulates does nothing.Hence why Miami has such anemic international business headquarter presence and low paying jobs..
Tell you what.Add up the GDP and population in each of those missions in Atlanta and Miami and I bet you Atlanta's will be much higher.

Most people that love Miami are doing well.Those that discover they are earning less move away.Thatswhy you have so many rich expats and such who love it.For them Miami is paradise but for many its just getting by.
My God! What a "homerism" meltdown!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
My God! What a "homerism" meltdown!
Call it what you want but its true.It shows in the income disparity and education attainment.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Perhaps because it happened? Jeez, who's being a defensive homer again?

Not very common to be robbed at gunpoint while sitting in a taxi, no matter where it happened. This happened to occur in Zona Rosa. Deal with it.
Who cares if it happened? What does it have to do with actual crime rates? Crime literally happens everywhere so you could find stories like this in every major city in the world. More Atlanta nonsense. I guess there's a few for just about every city on here.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Who cares if it happened? What does it have to do with actual crime rates? Crime literally happens everywhere so you could find stories like this in every major city in the world. More Atlanta nonsense. I guess there's a few for just about every city on here.
I dont see why you are so offended.He only made a comment regarding a personal friend of his who had an incident happened.He made no judgement based on the incident.Only that it happened.
He even stated how he wishes to go to Mexico City.

That said we were also talking about crime and anyone who would visit even some place really safe like Sweden would mention an incident like that if it happened to someone close while vsiting that country and anyone would take note of it also.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:01 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I dont see why you are so offended.He only made a comment regarding a personal friend of his who had an incident happened.He made no judgement based on the incident.Only that it happened.
He even stated how he wishes to go to Mexico City.

That said we were also talking about crime and anyone who would visit even some place really safe like Sweden would mention an incident like that if it happened to someone close while vsiting that country and anyone would take note of it also.
Well, maybe it's better to figure out some stats.

Homicide rate of Mexico City (city of over 8 million people, rate for 2009 data) is 8.4 per 100,000
Homicide rate of Atlanta (city of about 450K, rate for 2012 data) is 19.0 per 100,000
Homicide rate of Miami (city of about 420K, rate for 2012 data) is 16.7 per 100,000

There are a lot of factors to consider though. It makes more sense to consider the entire metro rather than just city proper (generally, the city itself has a higher rate than the metropolitan as a whole, but it doesn't necessarily hold for all city/metros), and it makes a lot more sense to compare it based on the same years for both population and homicide rates. Additionally, crime reporting in different countries, let alone different municipalities, can vary considerably. It'd be great for people to find additional stats and go along with that.

Mexico City never felt particularly dangerous to me (though it's no Tokyo, of course), and that's not from staying in just exclusive gated communities. Does it have a huge working class population? Certainly.

And a visitor from Sweden (except for maybe someone from Malmo--maybe, don't know the stats on that; Switzerland or Japan are probably better examples to cite), is probably going to find all three of these places pretty damn rough. Even when you're talking about a developed country like the US, because the US has some really amazing stats in this regard when it comes to developed countries.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-24-2015 at 12:11 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Not when the vast majoriy come from just a coupe of regions.20 Caribbean and Latin American countries dont equal about jack crap when Miami doesnt have countries like South Korea,Switzerland,Belgium,Nigeria,India (some of the most populous, major international economies and important but instead has freakin' Barbados,Bahamas,Paraguay,Suriname,etc.lol

Many of those countries are very small and not populous at all.Just having a large number of consulates does nothing.Hence why Miami has such anemic international business headquarter presence and low paying jobs..
Tell you what.Add up the GDP and population in each of those missions in Atlanta and Miami and I bet you Atlanta's will be much higher.

Most people that love Miami are doing well.Those that discover they are earning less move away.Thatswhy you have so many rich expats and such who love it.For them Miami is paradise but for many its just getting by.
Don't hyperbole afonega! Back up your claims with stats please! Oh and US corporations don't count either! This should be interesting.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Don't hyperbole afonega! Back up your claims with stats please! Oh and US corporations don't count either! This should be interesting.
i asked twice for someone to show where a company outside of the regions Miami dominates>i hear nothing but crickest yet when you want act like you dont believe what im saying is true,you want to challenge me.

Where were you when a Miami booster said Atlanta has 4million people?Shorting it by over a million.Or when you tried to minimize Atlanta film industry by acting like Tyler Pery is the only thing going on.Not that it matters because those are lots of jobs at his studio that Miami wishes it had.

Ok Ill bite,Here are just a few of foreign international companies with headquarters in Atlanta.
Siemens
Porshe
Mercedes Benz
Intercontinental Hotel Group
Oldcastle
YKK
Novelis
Sita

These companies are from India,Belgium,The Netherlands,Germany.Ireland, and Japan

From Brookings
Atlanta, GA 134,600 2.4% (of companies Foreign owned)
Miami, FL 91,700 1.6%

Figure 16. Countries and Global City-Regions Whose Domiciled Companies Account for the Largest Number
of U.S. Jobs in FOEs, 2011
Country of Origin

England 790,300 14.0% Tokyo—Kanagawa—Saitama—Chiba, Japan 487,400 8.7%
Japan 676,300 12.0% London, England 460,700 8.2%
Germany 512,300 9.1% Paris—Île-de-France, France 429,500 7.6%
Canada 470,700 8.4% Toronto—Ottawa—Ontario, Canada 256,600 4.6%
France 456,600 8.1% Amsterdam—North Holland, Netherlands 231,700 4.1%
Switzerland 369,900 6.6% Düsseldorf—Cologne—North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany 165,400 2.9%
Netherlands 347,800 6.2% Brussels—Leuven—Flemish Brabant, Belgium 154,800 2.7%
Italy 184,600 3.3% Dublin—Ulster—East, Ireland 141,600 2.5%
Belgium 170,000 3.0% Stuttgart—Mannheim—Baden-Württemberg, Germany 134,300 2.4%
Sweden 163,100 2.9% Oxford—Gatwick—South East, England 132,000 2.3%

Notice that NOT ONE of the areas where most foreign companies and the jobs they provide come from are in Latin America or the Caribbean.

Also take notice that in Figure 17 table.Miami is listed no where in any of the top sectors for Top foreign company jobs in the US,
Also note that not one company in the "top sending Global regions" is from Latin America or the Caribbean
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...s/metrofdi.pdf

If you look further on Page 58 table 4 it shows the City/Regions from which these comapnies originate that operate in America by percentage of the total Foreign owned jobs.

The only c city in Latin America is Sao Paulo Brazil.With only.09% and ranked 29th after several cites in Germany,England,Japan,Italy,The Netherlands,Switzerland,etc.
Oddly enough,the same place where the companies I mentioned earlier that have headquarters in Atlanta are also from these citiy regions,,

Even if you lok at Georgia as a whole fersus Florida it shows as of 2011 the percentage of jobs that are by Foreign Companies is 6% in versus 3.8% in Florida which had only grown from 3% in 1991

Finally as I posted in a simular thread already.Atlabt ranks 14th in the world of cities with the highest presence of international foreign Headquarters according to Site Selection Magazine

Well behind other cities l at #29 is Miami.
Site Selection 2013 The World's Most Competitive Cities

So in conclusion I think you really should have no more objections

Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Homicide rate of Mexico City (city of over 8 million people, rate for 2009 data) is 8.4 per 100,000
Homicide rate of Atlanta (city of about 450K, rate for 2012 data) is 19.0 per 100,000
Homicide rate of Miami (city of about 420K, rate for 2012 data) is 16.7 per 100,000

There are a lot of factors to consider though. It makes more sense to consider the entire metro rather than just city proper (generally, the city itself has a higher rate than the metropolitan as a whole, but it doesn't necessarily hold for all city/metros), and it makes a lot more sense to compare it based on the same years for both population and homicide rates. Additionally, crime reporting in different countries, let alone different municipalities, can vary considerably. It'd be great for people to find additional stats and go along with that.

Mexico City never felt particularly dangerous to me (though it's no Tokyo, of course), and that's not from staying in just exclusive gated communities. Does it have a huge working class population? Certainly.

And a visitor from Sweden (except for maybe someone from Malmo--maybe, don't know the stats on that; Switzerland or Japan are probably better examples to cite), is probably going to find all three of these places pretty damn rough. Even when you're talking about a developed country like the US, because the US has some really amazing stats in this regard when it comes to developed countries.
Informative and balanced. Great post.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Miami and Atlanta have a higher homicide rate than Mexico City. The South is so hardcore.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
i asked twice for someone to show where a company outside of the regions Miami dominates>i hear nothing but crickest yet when you want act like you dont believe what im saying is true,you want to challenge me.

Where were you when a Miami booster said Atlanta has 4million people?Shorting it by over a million.Or when you tried to minimize Atlanta film industry by acting like Tyler Pery is the only thing going on.Not that it matters because those are lots of jobs at his studio that Miami wishes it had.

Ok Ill bite,Here are just a few of foreign international companies with headquarters in Atlanta.
Siemens
Porshe
Mercedes Benz
Intercontinental Hotel Group
Oldcastle
YKK
Novelis
Sita

These companies are from India,Belgium,The Netherlands,Germany.Ireland, and Japan

From Brookings
Atlanta, GA 134,600 2.4% (of companies Foreign owned)
Miami, FL 91,700 1.6%

Figure 16. Countries and Global City-Regions Whose Domiciled Companies Account for the Largest Number
of U.S. Jobs in FOEs, 2011
Country of Origin

England 790,300 14.0% Tokyo—Kanagawa—Saitama—Chiba, Japan 487,400 8.7%
Japan 676,300 12.0% London, England 460,700 8.2%
Germany 512,300 9.1% Paris—Île-de-France, France 429,500 7.6%
Canada 470,700 8.4% Toronto—Ottawa—Ontario, Canada 256,600 4.6%
France 456,600 8.1% Amsterdam—North Holland, Netherlands 231,700 4.1%
Switzerland 369,900 6.6% Düsseldorf—Cologne—North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany 165,400 2.9%
Netherlands 347,800 6.2% Brussels—Leuven—Flemish Brabant, Belgium 154,800 2.7%
Italy 184,600 3.3% Dublin—Ulster—East, Ireland 141,600 2.5%
Belgium 170,000 3.0% Stuttgart—Mannheim—Baden-Württemberg, Germany 134,300 2.4%
Sweden 163,100 2.9% Oxford—Gatwick—South East, England 132,000 2.3%

Notice that NOT ONE of the areas where most foreign companies and the jobs they provide come from are in Latin America or the Caribbean.

Also take notice that in Figure 17 table.Miami is listed no where in any of the top sectors for Top foreign company jobs in the US,
Also note that not one company in the "top sending Global regions" is from Latin America or the Caribbean
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...s/metrofdi.pdf

If you look further on Page 58 table 4 it shows the City/Regions from which these comapnies originate that operate in America by percentage of the total Foreign owned jobs.

The only c city in Latin America is Sao Paulo Brazil.With only.09% and ranked 29th after several cites in Germany,England,Japan,Italy,The Netherlands,Switzerland,etc.
Oddly enough,the same place where the companies I mentioned earlier that have headquarters in Atlanta are also from these citiy regions,,

Even if you lok at Georgia as a whole fersus Florida it shows as of 2011 the percentage of jobs that are by Foreign Companies is 6% in versus 3.8% in Florida which had only grown from 3% in 1991

Finally as I posted in a simular thread already.Atlabt ranks 14th in the world of cities with the highest presence of international foreign Headquarters according to Site Selection Magazine

Well behind other cities l at #29 is Miami.
Site Selection 2013 The World's Most Competitive Cities

So in conclusion I think you really should have no more objections
That settles it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City