Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:09 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, maybe it's better to figure out some stats.

Homicide rate of Mexico City (city of over 8 million people, rate for 2009 data) is 8.4 per 100,000
Homicide rate of Atlanta (city of about 450K, rate for 2012 data) is 19.0 per 100,000
Homicide rate of Miami (city of about 420K, rate for 2012 data) is 16.7 per 100,000

There are a lot of factors to consider though. It makes more sense to consider the entire metro rather than just city proper (generally, the city itself has a higher rate than the metropolitan as a whole, but it doesn't necessarily hold for all city/metros), and it makes a lot more sense to compare it based on the same years for both population and homicide rates. Additionally, crime reporting in different countries, let alone different municipalities, can vary considerably. It'd be great for people to find additional stats and go along with that.

Mexico City never felt particularly dangerous to me (though it's no Tokyo, of course), and that's not from staying in just exclusive gated communities. Does it have a huge working class population? Certainly.

And a visitor from Sweden (except for maybe someone from Malmo--maybe, don't know the stats on that; Switzerland or Japan are probably better examples to cite), is probably going to find all three of these places pretty damn rough. Even when you're talking about a developed country like the US, because the US has some really amazing stats in this regard when it comes to developed countries.
There is no way I will ever believe that crime in Mexico City is less than most U.S. cities.Especially when I know that drugs are usually the cause of most crime in American cities.The fact that much of those drugs come from Mexico is not lost either.

Mexico has one of the worst ran governments and Im suppose to believe that their numbers for crime are quote accurate or even comparable.?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That settles it.
it should but these homers will hold on to the fact(and I do acknowledge that it is fact)that Miami is the "Gateway to Latin America" and all others bow down.

The poorest region after Africa and the least populous region.A region that holds less importance than even Africa due to the fact Africa is very rich in mineral resources the world needs.

So yes Atlanta does not have one region that it gets influence from.Neither does NYC,Chicago,San Francisco but somehow because this is Atlanta in the discussion this little tidbit seems to be major to some Miami fanatics.Hate to burst their bubble but ot means jack ^*(&%.lol

Old 05-24-2015, 11:15 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
There is no way I will ever believe that crime in Mexico City is less than most U.S. cities.Especially when I know that drugs are usually the cause of most crime in American cities.The fact that much of those drugs come from Mexico is not lost either.

Mexico has one of the worst ran governments and Im suppose to believe that their numbers for crime are quote accurate or even comparable.?
The narco violence you hear on the news doesn't have its hotbeds anywhere near Mexico City. Mexico City isn't the transhipment point nor the production point. Mexico City, being the capital and where a lot of the wealthy are, has a very heavy police presence. I do get your point, and I said as much. However, I also definitely don't actually feel Mexico City is that dangerous and have seen a lot hairier in the US.

I know that our police and justice system in the US has been doing a stellar job lately, so it's super hard to believe that there might be more homicide in the US or any kind of misreporting.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The narco violence you hear on the news doesn't have its hotbeds anywhere near Mexico City. Mexico City isn't the transhipment point nor the production point. Mexico City, being the capital and where a lot of the wealthy are, has a very heavy police presence. I do get your point, and I said as much. However, I also definitely don't actually feel Mexico City is that dangerous and have seen a lot hairier in the US.

I know that our police and justice system in the US has been doing a stellar job lately, so it's super hard to believe that there might be more homicide in the US or any kind of misreporting.
No I am aware that Mexico City does not suffer from crime as the other border states do.I still have a lot more confidence in the American police force than a Mexican one that routinely shakes people down for money.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:

You make it sound like American cities are oases of safety when in fact most of them have crime rates (and especially homicide rates) that are not only off the charts by the developed world standards but also higher than many developing world cities. I think it's not hard to believe at all that the capital of Mexico (which, as the seat of government and place of residence for most of the country's elite, is known to have far lower crime rates than many other parts of the country) is safer than most American cities. Remember we are talking about city propers here, and most American inner cities are extraordinarily violent.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Crazy isn't it? South Florida at this point is more influenced by foreign culture than any sort of regional Northeast culture. While tons, and tons of Northerners still vacation in South Florida, the connection is hardly there anymore in terms of domestic migration. Northern migrants opt for North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and the rest of the Piedmont instead of Florida. This has been the trend for at least 15yrs now. Haha, no more Knicks, and Jets fans outnumbering Miami sports fans. I'd take it step further and say there are more Heat fans nowadays in Brooklyn than there are in Nets fans. Miami fans always take over Barclays. Even in the post-LeBron Era.
Yeah, I have thought much of the same, agree with you. Especially because much of the negative domestic migration that is out of Southeast Florida are those from other regions such as the Northeast or Midwest moving out and on to states like North Carolina or South Carolina - I think "halfbacks" they call themselves.

Here are Origin and Destination numbers from 2011 by Brookings Institution for these cities to give an idea of how many actual people travel to or from Miami annually, and where they either come from or go from here.

Global Gateways: International Aviation in Metropolitan America | Brookings Institution

Origin & Destination Total Passenger Counts (above 100,000 minimum), 2011

Miami:
01. Toronto, Canada: 668,838
02. Caracas, Venezuela: 617,296
03. Nassau, Bahamas: 538,089
04. Buenos Aires, Argentina: 533,507
05. Montreal, Canada: 477,207
06. London, United Kingdom: 476,010
07. New York, United States: 475,176
08. Sao Paulo, Brazil: 456,244
09. Port-au-prince, Haiti: 445,348
10. Bogota, Colombia: 442,221
11. Mexico City, Mexico: 417,507
12. Cancun, Mexico: 358,688
13. Kingston, Jamaica: 350,463
14. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: 349,655
15. Lima, Peru: 316,466
16. San Jose, Costa Rica: 303,901
17. Atlanta, United States: 293,239
18. Paris, France: 246,710
19. Managua, Nicaragua: 226,549
20. Panama City, Panama: 209,016
21. Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago: 190,614
22. Montego Bay, Jamaica: 186,943
23. Guayaquil, Ecuador: 180,840
24. Guatemala City, Guatemala: 179,307
25. Medellin, Colombia: 168,119
26. San Pedro Sula, Honduras: 167,897
27. Georgetown, Cayman Islands: 159,514
28. Quito, Ecuador: 153,661
29. Madrid, Spain: 151,250
30. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: 136,993

31. Philadelphia, United States: 129,895
32. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 129,388
33. Santiago, Chile: 123,992
34. Zürich, Switzerland: 123,352
35. Houston, United States: 123,092
36. Rome, Italy: 115,594
37. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: 112,432
38. Freeport, Bahamas: 108,501
39. Chicago, United States: 105,238
40. Brasilia, Brazil: 104,762
41. Ottawa, Canada: 101,781
42. Oranjestad, Aruba: 101,309
43. Dallas-Fort Worth, United States: 100,244

Atlanta:
01. Seoul-Incheon, South Korea: 188,207
02. London, United Kingdom: 185,587
03. Toronto, Canada: 177,215
04. Miami, United States: 175,886
05. Cancun, Mexico: 165,260
06. New York, United States: 129,598

American cities in blue, European ones in red.

Here are a couple of screenshots of each place so you can see;

Miami: //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...122748-mia.bmp

Atlanta: //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...122747-atl.bmp

There are 43 places worldwide that are either sending or receiving (or both) 100,000 or more people with Miami every year. Now that is just staggering, these are origin and destination numbers, to be exact, so it is actual people that come out of airports to spend some time in the city of Miami whether they live here or are visitors to here.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
it should but these homers will hold on to the fact(and I do acknowledge that it is fact)that Miami is the "Gateway to Latin America" and all others bow down.

The poorest region after Africa and the least populous region.A region that holds less importance than even Africa due to the fact Africa is very rich in mineral resources the world needs.

So yes Atlanta does not have one region that it gets influence from.Neither does NYC,Chicago,San Francisco but somehow because this is Atlanta in the discussion this little tidbit seems to be major to some Miami fanatics.Hate to burst their bubble but ot means jack ^*(&%.lol
You're vision is just blind. Its is a fact that Atlanta is a global city, important to commerce. In domestic business/finance it certainly is more important than Miami. And maybe by pure dollars it is more important on wide range scale.

It is also a fact that Atlanta has zero cultural, political, or economic impact anywhere outside of the U.S.

Miami does have that impact on many international countries, whether poor, small, or growing. Atlanta can't say that. This fight about "global" city is all about opinion as to you the only thing important to globalized is numbers for some companies. To me, culture, finance, entertainment has a large part of it too. Its all opinion on what "global" means. And to say Atlanta is more global city, I think the average person would not agree with that.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You're vision is just blind. Its is a fact that Atlanta is a global city, important to commerce. In domestic business/finance it certainly is more important than Miami. And maybe by pure dollars it is more important on wide range scale.

It is also a fact that Atlanta has zero cultural, political, or economic impact anywhere outside of the U.S.

Miami does have that impact on many international countries, whether poor, small, or growing. Atlanta can't say that. This fight about "global" city is all about opinion as to you the only thing important to globalized is numbers for some companies. To me, culture, finance, entertainment has a large part of it too. Its all opinion on what "global" means. And to say Atlanta is more global city, I think the average person would not agree with that.
Agreed and a great post. A good indicator of being a major player in the global community is the high level of foreign global airlines offering service. That speaks volumes of the draw/global relations a city has with other nations around the world.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:56 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Miami has 21 destinations where it has a higher O&D share with than Atlanta's highest destination by O&D shares and numbers.

I think that is enough to proliferate the gap between the two cities in terms of globalism, honestly.

Also, in Miami, on a frequently daily basis, I see a plethora of Latin American banks that don't have operations in any other American city. This city has a very profound social, cultural, economical, and logistical connection to Latin America. Honestly, I wont even stop at Latin America, to me, the entire Western Hemisphere at-large (North America AND South America).

Atlanta is an international city for sure, not denying that, but Miami much more so it seems to me.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
It appears it's time to trot out the bottom line again, if for no other reason than to bring everyone back to reality.

Again, Metro GDP:

Atlanta - $307.2 billion

Miami - $281 billion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City