Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:29 PM

161 posts, read 214,531 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I know that it may be challenging to compare City of Chicago vs Suburbs of Boston but I am trying to determine if I would like ‘burbs of Boston more than I like where I am living currently (Orlando, FL). I relocated back to Orlando after having a child to be closer to my family. After being back for a few shorts weeks I realize I hate it because it is soooo boring here (no wonder I never missed it)! I also hate the dreadfully hot summers here though I don’t like frigid temps either. Since we have family in Boston we are considering going there but I want to make sure that it is a good choice before making yet another large move. If I decide to move I want to make this a permanent move or at least decide to settle in Orlando permanently. I don’t want to go from one boring place to another. I LOVE Chicago but the lack of support system doesn’t make it an option. I tend to mostly hang out in my own neighborhood wherever I live so if living in one of the burbs is going to be equally as boring then it might not be a good choice. I would venture out occasionally but more often than not I want to love the town Im in! Based off of my likes/dislikes/requirements below can you please share your thoughts pros/cons/etc and anywhere around Boston you think might be a fit.

Things I love about Chicago
(I lived in Roscoe Village and Lincoln Square – nightlife is not a priority as I’m passed my partying days)

beautiful downtown
Tons of neighborhood festivals (love this)
Walkable to restaurants/shops/etc
Public transportation
Access to things such as world class museums, great events that come into town, etc
Cool non chain restaurants at all price points
Cool lakefront

Things I would need in Boston
(living in the actual city is not an option because of price and hubby isn’t a fan of living right in the city)

Access to public transportation (even something Similar to Metra in Chicago would work)
Decent house for rent no more than 1800/month or 300k to own
Vibrant town that perhaps hosts its own festivals
No more than 30 ish minutes from downtown Boston
Family friendly neighborhood (im 32 hes 37 and our baby is 6 months old)

Also wanted to mention that I have no experience having to shovel driveways, driving in snow, worry about frozen pipes – etc. Is “dealing” with winter really that bad that over time I’d just hate it? Living in the city I didn’t have to worry about those things.

Comments are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:34 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Given your budget, I think Chicago wins it. 300k or 1800/mo for a single family is going to price you out of anything nice within 1/2 hour to downtown Boston. You MAY get lucky in Quincy, but that's a big if. Places like Malden, Medford or Revere may have something in that range, but those towns aren't wonderful (though they're not awful). Beyond that you start having to look at places like Chelsea, Everett, or Lynn. Just too rough around the edges to recommend.

If you're willing to commute an hour each way, you may have more options, but 300k or 1800/mo for single family 1/2 hour fro, downtown on transit is unrealistic in a nice area.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:11 AM

6,815 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Given your budget, I think Chicago wins it.
OP isn't considering moving to Chicago. Rather using Chicago as a reference for aspects of a place that he/she likes.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:01 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
I agree with irfox. You could live in those cities around Boston but they get rough. Randolph is an option but the schools are terrible and it has no festivals and stuff...basically a super suburban inner city area....and in good consciousness I can't recommend brockton. Chicago itd have to be.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:23 AM

Ok that is kind of what I thought. Thank you for your feedback.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:48 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Considering your budget...Chicago. Boston is often tied with DC for 3rd most expensive city in the contental US. Point blank, you are likely completely priced out. Your budget is not boston suburbs, it's New Hampshire exurbs.

I think you may want to consider Philly as another option though considering your budget and desires.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
If your hubby isn't a city fan, what makes you think he'd live in the City of Chicago? In terms of city "feel", Chicago and Boston are very similar, and if anything, you could make an argument that Chicago is more urban than Boston (though I'm not saying that, since it's unnecessarily inflammatory).

Old 05-15-2015, 12:35 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
^ But true

Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
If your hubby isn't a city fan, what makes you think he'd live in the City of Chicago? In terms of city "feel", Chicago and Boston are very similar, and if anything, you could make an argument that Chicago is more urban than Boston (though I'm not saying that, since it's unnecessarily inflammatory).
I don't think the OP actually planning on moving to Chicago, if you read the post carefully.

I have a friend that lives in Wakefield, MA and bought a house, probably for around your price range, though it is tiny. They don't have kids (yet) but will soon.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:08 PM

Hi,

I'm not planning on moving to Chicago. I lived there before and was mentioning the things I enjoyed. I was trying to find a happy medium between city life and super suburban but doesn't seem like that can happen around Boston at my price point. Thanks though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City