Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Investors believe in the future of San Francisco, according to fDi Intelligence's American Cities of the Future list. The biennial list, put out by a magazine owned by the Financial Times, highlights the top destinations for foreign direct investment. New York City topped the rankings for the third consecutive time. San Francisco followed the Big Apple in second place.

fDi Intelligence looked at 421 different locations for the study, analyzing hundreds of "data points" under five main categories: Economic Potential, Business Friendliness, Human Capital and Lifestyle, Cost Effectiveness and Connectivity. Those data points included a wide-range of topics including unemployment rate, brain drain, minimum wage, number of airports, and corporation tax rate. The main rankings are of "major American cities" but they further divide into categories based on size, including "large," "medium," "small," and "micro."

Full report: http://www.fdiintelligence.com/Locat...015-16-Winners
San Francisco ranks high on "American Cities of the Future" list - SFGate

1) New York, N.Y.; 2) San Francisco, CA; 3) Houston, TX; 4) Boston, MA; 5) Sunnyvale, CA; 6) Toronto, ON; 7) Atlanta, GA; 8) Vancouver, B.C.; 9) Miami, FL; 10) Seattle, WA.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-14-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:19 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Don't worry about it: most of the posters here won't understand what this is really measuring.

I think "Sunnyvale" is a funny inclusion. Mostly because before the tech boom, it was a military town full of military people. A lot of people I know who grew up there were, lets just say, a little bit rough around the edges.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
San Francisco ranks high on "American Cities of the Future" list - SFGate

1) New York, N.Y.; 2) San Francisco, CA; 3) Houston, TX; 4) Boston, MA; 5) Sunnyvale, CA; 6) Toronto, ON; 7) Atlanta, GA; 8) Vancouver, B.C.; 9) Miami, FL; 10) Seattle, WA.
CAN'T RESIST RED JOHN.......

Well I'm OK with CHICAGO still in the Top 10 CITIES OVER-ALL ALSO IN THE CITY OF THE FUTURE OTHER LISTINGS.

Top 10 MAJOR CITIES OF THE FUTURE 2015/16 – OVERALL RANK (though the chart says American cities)
  1. New York City, New York .... Mighty World's City
  2. San Francisco, California .....Boutique City Near Nations Heck Hub
  3. Houston, Texas ..................Growing Sunbelt City Coming of Age
  4. Boston, Massachusetts ........Still the Top City of Academia
  5. Toronto, Ontario..................Another City Coming of Age and The NYC (Main City of Canada)
  6. Atlanta, Georgia..................Sunbelt City was sputtering for a While. But is Coming of Age too.
  7. Miami, Florida ....................Super Sunbelt Latin Americans Love it and International Investors in its Downtown , with Miami Beach a Huge Tourist Draw.
  8. Chicago, Illinois............... Motor of the Midwest, Has Come of Age But Also Matured and Attained to a WORLD CLASS ICONIC, RENOWN DOWNTOWN and SKYLINE. That Says..."MOST AMERICAN CITY". "The Second City" though officially LA. NOT SURE WHY LA..... though? MADE .... NONE OF THE CHART LISTINGS?
  9. Montréal, Québec ............... French Capital of the Western Hemisphere
  10. São Paulo, Brazil ................Latin Capital of the Western Hemisphere.
CHICAGO..... also makes #9 for ECONOMIC POTENCIAL and HUMAN CAPITAL and LIFESTYLE

Not bad for a City SOME ON C-D Proclaim a " Has Been" to becoming Another Detroit? Because of its Debt. It is NOT too bad..... "CHICAGO" IS THE ONLY FORMER RUST BELT CITY ON THE LIST.

With 4 SUNBELT CITIES AHEAD OF IT? THE QUITE A BOUTIQUE CITY OF San Francisco, with Silicon Valley not far, BOSTON and its ACEDEMIC BASE... Good for them and MIGHTY NYC, The WORLDS CITY.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

Well I'm OK with CHICAGO still in the Top 10 CITIES OVER-ALL ALSO IN THE CITY OF THE FUTURE OTHER LISTINGS.
No, their top 10 was:

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Houston
4. Boston
5. Sunnyvale
6. Toronto
7. Atlanta
8. Vancouver
9. Miami
10. Seattle

I'm also nearly positive that if we were to take Sunnyvale out of the top 10 and round out the top 10 with a city that wasn't featured in it that Washington D.C., Dallas, or Los Angeles just might get a deeper look than Chicago for cities of the future based off performance right now and recent 3-5 years.

By the way, you can just download the report at the bottom of the page. It's a pretty extensive report that gives its explanations. Chicago made the top 10 in certain categories but was left off the overall top 10, and to be frank, given the performance of Chicago as of late, it is not completely a surprise to see.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

Top 10 MAJOR CITIES OF THE FUTURE 2015/16 – OVERALL RANK (though the chart says American cities)
  1. New York City, New York .... Mighty World's City
  2. San Francisco, California .....Boutique City Near Nations Heck Hub
  3. Houston, Texas ..................Growing Sunbelt City Coming of Age
  4. Boston, Massachusetts ........Still the Top City of Academia
  5. Toronto, Ontario..................Another City Coming of Age and The NYC (Main City of Canada)
  6. Atlanta, Georgia..................Sunbelt City was sputtering for a While. But is Coming of Age too.
  7. Miami, Florida ....................Super Sunbelt Latin Americans Love it and International Investors in its Downtown , with Miami Beach a Huge Tourist Draw.
  8. Chicago, Illinois............... Motor of the Midwest, Has Come of Age But Also Matured and Attained to a WORLD CLASS ICONIC, RENOWN DOWNTOWN and SKYLINE. That Says..."MOST AMERICAN CITY". "The Second City" though officially LA. NOT SURE WHY LA..... though? MADE .... NONE OF THE CHART LISTINGS?
  9. Montréal, Québec ............... French Capital of the Western Hemisphere
  10. São Paulo, Brazil ................Latin Capital of the Western Hemisphere.
CHICAGO..... also makes #9 for ECONOMIC POTENCIAL and HUMAN CAPITAL and LIFESTYLE

Not bad for a City SOME ON C-D Proclaim a " Has Been" to becoming Another Detroit? Because of its Debt. It is NOT too bad..... "CHICAGO" IS THE ONLY FORMER RUST BELT CITY ON THE LIST.

With 4 SUNBELT CITIES AHEAD OF IT? THE QUITE A BOUTIQUE CITY OF San Francisco, with Silicon Valley not far, BOSTON and its ACEDEMIC BASE... Good for them and MIGHTY NYC, The WORLDS CITY.
I gotta hand it to you Steeps - not even one post you've ever made doesn't involve Chicago left, right and centre.. Your love and devotion to the place knows no equal.. Chicago tattoo's?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I gotta hand it to you Steeps - not even one post you've ever made doesn't involve Chicago left, right and centre.. Your love and devotion to the place knows no equal.. Chicago tattoo's?
Roflol.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well if you too .... can get some good for Toronto? You do too . But you ARE VERY FAIR TO CHICAGO AND THE STATES. So all is good. Now Red John? Though his New American Hometown was Chicago, when he moved to the States. It's just.... HE VOTES AGAINST IT IN EVERY THREAD OF CITY VS CHICAGO. Including .....He chose Toronto. Though has never been to Toronto, and even Vancouver over Chicago.

As you can see in his reply. "Big John" basically BRUSHED OFF the other list I USED.... FROM THE fDi sight....CHICAGO DID MAKE THE GRADE UNDER THE "MAJOR CITY" LIST, at #8. CHICAGO makes #9 for "ECONOMIC POTENCIAL" and " HUMAN CAPITAL and LIFESTYLE" Cities of the Future. THEY COUNT TOO....

Though "Red John" will say.... He still likes Chicago. His votes are....ALWAYS THE OTHER CITY .
Some like to say ALL Midwestern US cities are basically HAS BEENS, WAY PAST THEIR PRIME AND ITS ALL THE SUNBELT, EAST AND WEST COAST THAT ARE MOST IMPORTANT AND RISING? WELL OLE CHICAGO STILL HAS SOMETHING LEFT... AND CAN BE IN THE RUNNING DESPITE ITS CURRENT FINANCIAL PROBLEM.

I had to point that out to him.... and he discounted the other list.. why?

I do take your reply as a complement... Thank You.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:49 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Every time I see people type in caps, I think he or she mixes concrete for a living.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:13 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
When I see all caps, I usually just skip over it. It annoys me like someone yelling at me!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
When I see all caps, I usually just skip over it. It annoys me like someone yelling at me!
Don't worry.... it's not a Canadian thing...... DOTS TOO ...... . But since you don't mind Smileys.... . Sometimes you just have to leave the same ole and lighten up.... and say "What the heck" . It's going backwards from my 50s and have a wine and ..... .

But don't think I am not serious with most of my post.....

Last edited by steeps; 05-15-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City