Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
That budget gets you almost nothing in Austin...
Yeah, it's pretty low for Nashville too.

And the zoning might allow backyard chickens, but goats and deer would put you out in the country somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yeah, it's pretty low for Nashville too.

And the zoning might allow backyard chickens, but goats and deer would put you out in the country somewhere.
This^

Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,517 times
I would recommend Nashville. I think Austin housing has become incredibly overpriced and the traffic congestion is terrible. It has been over loved. Also property taxes are sky high in Texas. TN has much lower housing costs AND no state income tax. And the heat is worse in TX and goes on longer in the summers. Austin has a super cool vibe, live music joints, cool funky unique "local institution" type establishments (Amy's Ice Cream, Salt Lick, Broken Spoke, Continental Club, Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, food trucks, Zilker Park, etc...)...but I feel it's lost some of that coolness it once had when it was under the radar back in the 70's, 80's and 90's now with over development, growth too fast, traffic and crazy housing costs. I really like the combination of no state income tax AND low property taxes in TN. TX has no state income tax but insanely high property taxes.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 AM

413 posts, read 437,547 times
Both are hot right now and worth checking out.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:51 AM

345 posts, read 530,442 times
I'd choose Nashville. Both are pretty expensive rn, but Austin is on another level.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 AM

247 posts, read 336,290 times
Nashville is a more conservative, touristy, uptight, corporate, less social interpretation of Austin. I've had trouble making friends in Nashville. Austin is too expensive for me, but I find it far more enjoyable from a social standpoint.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 AM

58 posts, read 117,768 times
Thank you so much for those insights - very helpful!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:50 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
Nashville is a more conservative, touristy, uptight, corporate, less social interpretation of Austin. I've had trouble making friends in Nashville. Austin is too expensive for me, but I find it far more enjoyable from a social standpoint.
Utter nonsense although I do think Austin has a more Bohemian feel. Still, your constant and shrill whining is transparent. You make it sound like Nashville is nothing but Lower Broadway which is absurd.

In addition, I've had zero problems making friends in Nashville. You can't put the blame on the city if you don't have any friends. As if all 1.8 million people in the Nashville metro have shared some secret memo to exclude you from their social circles.

Nonetheless, I can see why some prefer Austin over Nashville, although for me I much prefer Nashville.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:26 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
You're about 20 years too late to make Austin happen. Austin is already chockablock with PR people and has a much higher cost of living than the Phoenix area. With over 100 people moving here every day, and desperate to do so, salaries have remained repressed except in certain high-demand fields. So you will be looking at fewer opportunities, more competition, reduced income and a significantly higher mortgage/rent for less than you have right now. Most importantly, Austin skews extremely young. Sadly, you're dinosaur aged by Austin standards. (I'm in the same demographic, so please don't think I'm picking on you. If I were a single 40-something woman here, I'd leave.)
Yep. Same goes for Nashville, at this point. A good rule of thumb when you are thinking about moving to a "hot" or "popular" place is if all the natives and locals are moving out and/or getting priced out, then it's already too late.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:54 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
She loves Nashville and hasn't regretted it for a moment (except that she says their barbeque tastes funny. LOL)
Yeah, well, that's probably because Nashville is not known for its BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City