Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So anyways...there's only one largely Hispanic upper middle class neighborhood in California?
Yes, there is. Does that make you feel better? But they might be too "assimilated" for your taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:48 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Woah.... that is not true what so ever.
There doesn't seem to be much of an in-between. If so, where is it?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be much of an in-between. If so, where is it?
The Majority of the County? Like, I grew up in Central LA Every district has a large hispanic population around Los Angeles. Some are poor, some are not. It depends, Hispanics are the basically the majority of LA. They make LA, LA.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM

Anyways, here are some middle-upper middle class "Hispanic" areas of just one area of LA (meaning above 50%).

Mission Hills Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Mission Hills: 53% Hispanic, $75k median household income

Lake View Terrace Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Lake View Terrance: 53% Hispanic, $67k household income

Sylmar Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Sylmar: 69% Hispanic, $65k household income

No, but they're all sellouts or whatever. Keep changing the goalposts, my friend!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
The Majority of the County? Like, I grew up in Central LA Every district has a large hispanic population around Los Angeles. Some are poor, some are not. It depends, Hispanics are the basically the majority of LA. They make LA, LA.
We already know L.A. County has a large Hispanic population. But only 10-11% have a college degree or higher. That's lower than the educational attainment rate among non-Hispanic Blacks in the city of Detroit.

I would say Miami and DC are the only cities I've been to where I've really met a lot of college-educated Hispanics (though the Hispanic % in DC is not that high). NYC is third. I thought the Bay Area would be higher but it's actually quite a bit lower than DC and Miami as far as educational attainment goes.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
We already know L.A. County has a large Hispanic population. But only 10-11% have a college degree or higher. That's lower than the educational attainment rate among non-Hispanic Blacks in the city of Detroit.

I would say Miami and DC are the only cities I've been to where I've really met a lot of college-educated Hispanics (though the Hispanic % in DC is not that high). NYC is third. I thought the Bay Area would be higher but it's actually quite a bit lower than DC and Miami as far as educational attainment goes.
Ok miami and DC are the best cities for Hispanics for everything

Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I don't believe DC is a gateway city for Hispanics which probably helps explain it's high % of educated Hispanics. Miami is but their relatively high level of education might have something to do with the demographics that came over from Cuba after the revolution there.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:55 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Why are people getting upset about this? Just curious and I think it is interesting to find out about such communities in order to destroy stereotypes, as well as to diversify the narrative.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why are people getting upset about this? Just curious and I think it is interesting to find out about such communities in order to destroy stereotypes, as well as to diversify the narrative.
I think it has to do with the notion that the lack of these communities b/c many middle and upper class Hispanics have assimilated into typical American middle/upper middle class communities is somehow "sad". I personally don't think it's "sad" at all that middle/upper middle class Hispanics choose not to segregate themselves in Hispanic enclaves. Segregating yourself into ethnic/racial middle/upper middle class communities doesn't seem the best way to "destroy stereotypes" imo either.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's not "diversifying the narrative" if the only places you can diversify the narrative are places of "your own" ethnicity.

It's like we as minorities are supposed to feel bad for not living among our "own kind"

And to be frank, I think its insulting that the only true culture that exists is the culture of the poor. If you are somehow not in destitute poverty, it's "sad" because you have "assimilated" into mainstream American society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City