Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Tacoma, WA
Richmond, VA 45 46.88%
Tacoma, WA 52 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:24 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,958 times

Advertisements

Here are two cities I've decided to take another look at, which on paper seem similar.

Richmond 214,000
Density: 3,400

Tacoma 203,000
Density: 4,000

Tacoma has Seattle nearby.

Richmond has DC & Hampton Roads that are close-ish.

Similar weather, walkscores, and crime level (Richmond's is less overall, but with a much higher violent crime rate).

No idea why Tacoma gets trashed so much since it has both the Puget Sound and a mountain view like Denver or perhaps the American version of Tokyo's view of Mt.Fuji?

Richmond seems like a hidden gem, but outside of this forum I never hear anything about it.

Best For:

1. Quality of life
2. City & Nature mix
3. Art scene
4. Nightlife
5. Diverse/least segregated
6. Favorable for small businesses
7. Vibe/What are the people like in each city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Almost wonder if Tacoma isn't the Charleston, SC of the PacNW? And maybe Richmond is the Baltimore of the south?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
Baltimore is the Baltimore of the South.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM

765 posts, read 899,529 times
I have never been to Richmond so I'm unable to give you any useful info on it. Tacoma on the other hand I have lived there my whole life up until October 8th where I have been traveling the U.S. and man do I miss home. Let me tell you that for me, nothing compares. The quality of life is excellent! There is so much to do and see! Also, so much that is free to do and see! Be it the beaches, kayaking, crabbing, fishing, hiking in variety. You could go hiking somewhere different that is close to Tacoma everyday for the rest of your life, all beathtaking. I believe they are raising the minimum wage to 12 or 13 dollars an hour. But what makes Tacoma unique from Seattle? Well, for starters, Tacoma is about 3 times smaller with a lower cost of living. It used to be known, for gangs, crime, and pollution. Very industrial. Since the 90's action has been taken however to revive the city to its former glory, as well as something better. Tacoma is a very unique city with a culture of its own, not a burb of Seattle. It's culture I often describe as being bohemian and artistic. Like a gritty industrial bohemian, dark, chill, mid sized city. Skater culture is very alive, as well as any type of boarding, all types of art thrive be it glass, painting, sculpture, photography, musicians etc. I see Tacoma as being more realistic than Seattle, the people aren't zombie techies, it's a little rough around the edges but I definitely prefer it that way. To be honest I feel safe anywhere in Tacoma but some neighborhoods are safer than others. The neighborhoods with the most crime would be East Side and South end. Hilltop is too up and coming to be considered dangerous anymore. To speak more of the art art scene, I would honestly compare Tacoma to Santa Fe. Very undiscovered but at the same time World Class. The city has local art spread through out and even art that you don't know about or wouldn't even expect pop out of nowhere. The locals are artists and it is mirrored on the streets for sure. Not to mention the world class Museum district. One thing in particular I very much enjoy about Tacoma is that it is not over gentrified like some cities Iv'e been to. It has done gentrification the right way (in my opinion), with pockets throughout the city and downtown. A lot of the gentrification though is the rehabilitation of old buildings which still lets the city keep it's charm. Tacoma is not sterile in any sense of the word. You can find something unique in any nook or cranny, which there are many! For nature, my favorite is Point Defiance Park. One of the largest urban parks in the US right in the city! Beautiful sandstone cliffs that dip down into the sound with thick forest of Douglas Fir and broad leaf evergreen Pacific Madrone. So much marine life to watch and enjoy, while you stroll on the beach or hike around the trails. Also many other nature opportunities near by, never short on that, the Puget Sound is probably the best urban/ Nature playground in the world. Tacoma is one of the most diverse cities in Washington which isn't really saying much to be honest. However it probably resembles your average US city. In my experience living there however, there are a lot of mixed people. All different kinds be it black and white, black and asian, asian and hispanic, asian and white, you name it. I find it to be a common theme and I am white but most of my friends from Tacoma, now that I think about it are mixed with something. It's an open and liberal culture like the rest of the Northwest. I think the only segregation would be between social classes but even then it's really not bad at all coming form a lower middle class resident. That's my take anyway. The nightlife is good for a city its size. Check out 6th ave for clubs and and bars, that street is always fun and sure to make your night a good one. Good variety, and you also have the whole Sound to go and find something to do. Hope that helped.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,004 times
Richmond has a much higher rate of murder, but Tacoma has a much higher rate of assault and rape, as well as a slightly higher robbery rate than Richmond. Both definitely have a lot of violent crime.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,965 times
I actually haven't been to Richmond, but Tacoma is downright gorgeous in my opinion. I'm a fairly recent transplant so I'm not colored by all the local bias against Tacoma's sketchy history. From my perspective, Tacoma has enormous potential for a city just given it's many charms.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Like a gritty industrial bohemian, dark, chill, mid sized city. I see Tacoma as being more realistic than Seattle, the people aren't zombie techies, it's a little rough around the edges but I definitely prefer it that way.
Cool. Sounds like I might have found what I'm looking for (Portland meets Pittsburgh). I've always preferred Portland over Seattle. But some of the folks in Portland have always been...a little too out there, annoying, too PC, and for lack of a better word soft for my tastes. Granted it's a smaller section of the population, but just enough to be noticeable.

While Pittsburgh has a lot of friendly, blunt, and loyal people. I actually like a little grit to a city. It's just the weather isn't the greatest.

Plus I get the feeling Tacoma is going to grow as people get priced out of Seattle so while a bit small now it should fill out nicely.

Maybe I'm off base here, but it seems more like getting in on the ground floor.

Quote:
In my experience living there however, there are a lot of mixed people.
Sounds good to me. I tend to get along with mixed people better. Why? I couldn't say. One of the reasons I was looking at Sacramento. How's the dating scene?

Also, from an amenities, vibe, and size standpoint what other cities would you compare it to?

Thanks you've been a big help.

Edit: Speaking of the Sound, don't the Seattle Sounders play around there somewhere? Think I'd get jumped if I showed up with my Timber's Army scarf?

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 05-21-2015 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Hold on....

Quote:
I have never been to Richmond so I'm unable to give you any useful info on it. Tacoma on the other hand I have lived there my whole life up until October 8th where I have been traveling the U.S. and man do I miss home. Let me tell you that for me, nothing compares. The quality of life is excellent! There is so much to do and see! Also, so much that is free to do and see! Be it the beaches, kayaking, crabbing, fishing, hiking in variety. You could go hiking somewhere different that is close to Tacoma everyday for the rest of your life, all beathtaking. I believe they are raising the minimum wage to 12 or 13 dollars an hour.

But what makes Tacoma unique from Seattle? Well, for starters, Tacoma is about 3 times smaller with a lower cost of living. It used to be known, for gangs, crime, and pollution. Very industrial. Since the 90's action has been taken however to revive the city to its former glory, as well as something better. Tacoma is a very unique city with a culture of its own, not a burb of Seattle. It's culture I often describe as being bohemian and artistic. Like a gritty industrial bohemian, dark, chill, mid sized city. Skater culture is very alive, as well as any type of boarding, all types of art thrive be it glass, painting, sculpture, photography, musicians etc.

I see Tacoma as being more realistic than Seattle, the people aren't zombie techies, it's a little rough around the edges but I definitely prefer it that way. To be honest I feel safe anywhere in Tacoma but some neighborhoods are safer than others. The neighborhoods with the most crime would be East Side and South end. Hilltop is too up and coming to be considered dangerous anymore. To speak more of the art art scene, I would honestly compare Tacoma to Santa Fe. Very undiscovered but at the same time World Class.

The city has local art spread through out and even art that you don't know about or wouldn't even expect pop out of nowhere. The locals are artists and it is mirrored on the streets for sure. Not to mention the world class Museum district. One thing in particular I very much enjoy about Tacoma is that it is not over gentrified like some cities Iv'e been to. It has done gentrification the right way (in my opinion), with pockets throughout the city and downtown. A lot of the gentrification though is the rehabilitation of old buildings which still lets the city keep it's charm.

Tacoma is not sterile in any sense of the word. You can find something unique in any nook or cranny, which there are many! For nature, my favorite is Point Defiance Park. One of the largest urban parks in the US right in the city! Beautiful sandstone cliffs that dip down into the sound with thick forest of Douglas Fir and broad leaf evergreen Pacific Madrone. So much marine life to watch and enjoy, while you stroll on the beach or hike around the trails. Also many other nature opportunities near by, never short on that, the Puget Sound is probably the best urban/ Nature playground in the world.

Tacoma is one of the most diverse cities in Washington which isn't really saying much to be honest. However it probably resembles your average US city. In my experience living there however, there are a lot of mixed people. All different kinds be it black and white, black and asian, asian and hispanic, asian and white, you name it. I find it to be a common theme and I am white but most of my friends from Tacoma, now that I think about it are mixed with something. It's an open and liberal culture like the rest of the Northwest. I think the only segregation would be between social classes but even then it's really not bad at all coming form a lower middle class resident.

That's my take anyway. The nightlife is good for a city its size. Check out 6th ave for clubs and and bars, that street is always fun and sure to make your night a good one. Good variety, and you also have the whole Sound to go and find something to do. Hope that helped.
OK, much better.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:00 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Almost wonder if Tacoma isn't the Charleston, SC of the PacNW?
No, Charleston is much older, more historic, a LOT more touristy, more architecturally distinct, and it's quintessential Southern character isn't really anything like Tacoma, or any other Northwestern city for that matter.

Quote:
I To speak more of the art art scene, I would honestly compare Tacoma to Santa Fe. Very undiscovered but at the same time World Class. The city has local art spread through out and even art that you don't know about or wouldn't even expect pop out of nowhere. The locals are artists and it is mirrored on the streets for sure. Not to mention the world class Museum district.
No, Santa Fe is much older, more historic, a LOT more touristy, more architecturally distinct, and it's quintessential Southernwestern character isn't really anything like Tacoma, or any other Northwestern city for that matter. And the art scene is very different as well, Santa Fe has a lot more notoriety in terms of art, Tacoma doesn't have anything comparable to Canyon Road, the style of art, public art, and sculptures between the two cities are world's apart. Have you been to Santa Fe? This is just an odd comparison, these two cities don't have very much ito compare to one another. Tacoma has come a long way, but people don't flock from all over the world to descend on Tacoma's museum district. World class museums are in the leagues of NY, Chicago, DC, let's not embellish here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Cool. Sounds like I might have found what I'm looking for (Portland meets Pittsburgh). I've always preferred Portland over Seattle. But some of the folks in Portland have always been...a little too out there, annoying, too PC, and for lack of a better word soft for my tastes. Granted it's a smaller section of the population, but just enough to be noticeable..

This is more like it. Tacoma is somewhat like Seattle/Portland meets the Rustbelt (improving rustbelt, like Pittsburgh), in a mid-sized city. It's a port city on the sound, not a river city like Portland or Pittsburgh, so the scenery in some neighborhoods is more reminiscent of Seattle, but with similar grit to a mid-sized rust belt city in spots.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-21-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM

765 posts, read 899,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
No, Charleston is much older, more historic, a LOT more touristy, and it's quintessential Southern character isn't really anything like Tacoma, or any other Northwestern city for that matter.

No, Santa Fe is much older, more historic, a LOT more touristy, and it's quintessential Southernwestern character isn't really anything like Tacoma, or any other Northwestern city for that matter. And the art scene is very different as well, Santa Fe has a lot more notoriety in terms of art, Tacoma doesn't have anything comparable to Canyon Road, the style of art, public art, and sculptures between the two cities are world's apart. Have you been to Santa Fe? This is just an odd comparison, these two cities don't have very much ito compare to one another. Tacoma has come a long way, but people don't flock from all over the world to descend on Tacoma's museum district. World class museums are in the leagues of NY, Chicago, DC, let's not embellish here.
I was just in Santa Fe last week actually lol. But I see what your saying. To elaborate, I felt very much at home. I was comparing the two as artistic cities. Tacoma definitely has less notoriety and gives off a different vibe for sure. But there are a lot of similarities I noticed in the people, the type of gentrification, the art scene, But Tacoma's museums are world class, check them out sometime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City