Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Tacoma, WA
Richmond, VA 45 46.88%
Tacoma, WA 52 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
No, Charleston is much older, more historic, a LOT more touristy, and it's quintessential Southern character isn't really anything like Tacoma, or any other Northwestern city for that matter.

No, Santa Fe is much older, more historic, a LOT more touristy, and it's quintessential Southernwestern character isn't really anything like Tacoma, or any other Northwestern city for that matter. And the art scene is very different as well, Santa Fe has a lot more notoriety in terms of art, Tacoma doesn't have anything comparable to Canyon Road, the style of art, public art, and sculptures between the two cities are world's apart. Have you been to Santa Fe? This is just an odd comparison, these two cities don't have very much ito compare to one another. Tacoma has come a long way, but people don't flock from all over the world to descend on Tacoma's museum district. World class museums are in the leagues of NY, Chicago, DC, let's not embellish here.
The world's largest car museum is in its museum district, America's Car Museum. And they have one of the top glass museums in the world. And talking public art the museum district also has the bridge of glass. Just saying Tacoma is a museum hot spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The world's largest car museum is in its museum district, America's Car Museum. And they have one of the top glass museums in the world. And talking public art the museum district also has the bridge of glass. Just saying Tacoma is a museum hot spot.
I know about the museum district, including the worthy stop at the WA State museum of history as well. It's just not in the league of world class (bringing DC, NYC, European capitals, even Philly into the discussion) in my opinion. For what Seattle lacks in museums for a city of its size and caliber, Tacoma seems to make up for.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-21-2015 at 07:42 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM

765 posts, read 897,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Cool. Sounds like I might have found what I'm looking for (Portland meets Pittsburgh). I've always preferred Portland over Seattle. But some of the folks in Portland have always been...a little too out there, annoying, too PC, and for lack of a better word soft for my tastes. Granted it's a smaller section of the population, but just enough to be noticeable.

While Pittsburgh has a lot of friendly, blunt, and loyal people. I actually like a little grit to a city. It's just the weather isn't the greatest.

Plus I get the feeling Tacoma is going to grow as people get priced out of Seattle so while a bit small now it should fill out nicely.

Maybe I'm off base here, but it seems more like getting in on the ground floor.

Sounds good to me. I tend to get along with mixed people better. Why? I couldn't say. One of the reasons I was looking at Sacramento. How's the dating scene?

Also, from an amenities, vibe, and size standpoint what other cities would you compare it to?

Thanks you've been a big help.

Edit: Speaking of the Sound, don't the Seattle Sounders play around there somewhere? Think I'd get jumped if I showed up with my Timber's Army scarf?
Just to put it out there there are a lot of quirky and strange people in Tacoma. But this goes for all of Cascadia. As well as being soft and PC. But I would say out of anywhere people might be ever so slightly more 'blunt and friendly' in Tacoma than Seattle, Vancouver, maybe equal to Portland. It's just the sub culture of Tacoma is how I previously mentioned so it sounds like you would enjoy yourself. I would visit first though to make sure.

Tacoma is absolutely growing! Checkout these developments
Meet the developer who wants to build two skyscrapers in downtown Tacoma | Real Estate | The News Tribune

Tacoma Waterfront Homes, Eats, and Recreation | Point Ruston

Construction on a five-story, 154-unit apartment in Proctor Business District beginning soon | Business | The News Tribune

Exit133 - Tacoma Dome Transit Oriented Development - Who’s Interested?

Exit133 - Hilltop Development Update

https://www.djc.com/news/ae/12029684.html (light rail expansion)

The dating scene is good, I mean I think it depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of opportunities to find someone. There is a lot to do, there are clubs and music venues of all sorts and varieties on 6th ave and downtown, bars, clubs you can join etc

Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Just to put it out there there are a lot of quirky and strange people in Tacoma.
Strange and quirky I don't mind so much as cold (Seattle) and smug (Portland). Does it have that far left militant thing going on?

I have to say I love how the PacNW is pro-active on transportation/light rail, unlike say the Midwest (cars til we die).

Quote:
Tacoma's museums are world class, check them out sometime
Yeah, but why couldn't they have checked out Milwaukee's Art Museum before building the glass museum? It kind of looks like a museum that's being dug up. Although that High School castle looks amazing.

I must say it's hard to understand why people cut down Tacoma, yet build up Asheville.

Natural beauty seems to be close between the two, yet a $12 or $13 starting wage certainly beats the common starting wage around here at $8-something. For unskilled work in Asheville people dance for joy when they land a $13 an hour job...

Not to mention the COL is almost the same, winter temperatures/rainfall, and crime rate is somewhat comparable.

To put the crime thing in perspective a neighborhood in Columbus that I lived in, which was considered a good neighborhood has higher crime stats on CD than Tacoma. I can see how it would scare off skittish burbs folk, but that's not me.

Perhaps it's not such a bad thing people think it's a crime infested stink hole? Keeps the wrong sorts out.

What happened to all the people who were cheering for Richmond?

Another poster on here who loves Pittsburgh also said they loved Richmond when they visited, but I'd like to see some comparisons from locals. Seems like an interesting, albeit difficult to understand city.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 05-21-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times
Quote:
What happened to all the people who were cheering for Richmond?
Haha, I think I'm one of those guilty parties. Honestly very tough to comment when it comes to a comparison with Tacoma - I've been to Seattle and I love that city, but it feels so different. And I imagine Tacoma would have that same flair, and I don't think I could make a comparison to Richmond without spending a good time in Tacoma - even if they do appear similar on paper. Much of what is great about Richmond can be found dotted in other recent threads. It's a fusion of East Coast, Northern and Southeastern qualities with a quirky urban edge. I think part of its attractiveness is that you come away feeling a certain familiarity with a nuance because it has character qualities of multiple regions with a twist. And it is affordable. According to the recent census release, as far as cities go in VA, it's one of the fastest growing and serves as the anchor of its metro. It's a foodie city, with plenty of great restaurants, an artsy vibe and strong business culture.

I will say that "crime" in Richmond is almost always overstated. Richmond hasn't been tops in crime for some time, and as in most cities, violent crime is isolated to very focused areas. Realities change before reputations, but the handle on crime is one of the reasons Richmond's growth has been accelerating. It's got the parks, history, walkability and a quality of amenities that ends up pitting it against larger metros, and now it's also a great place to live. Not going to lie, I'm one of those people that enjoys doing my late night jogs from Shockoe to the Fan.

Now, Pittsburgh and Richmond share some similar architectural features in their environs, and have a strong relationship with the outdoors and the river culture. They also have friendly, down-to-earth people with a number of comparable neighborhoods: the Strip in Pitt is similar to Shockoe Bottom in Richmond with market, clubs, nightlife, restaurants and a residential element. You also have the more upscale Shadyside and then Squirrel Hill which compares to Carytown and Westhampton, although Carytown is much more local and independently-minded than nationally branded. East Liberty is much like Scott's Addition, rapidly up and coming.

There are also many things that are quite different but I definitely recommend you visit if you haven't yet had the opportunity. The first time my friend from Erie and his GF visited, they noted that Richmond was much bigger than he expected. I find that is generally the reaction of most first-time visitors, especially when they hop off the interstates. RVA gets compared to a lot of places - I've heard everything from DC, probably most often, Pitt, Louisville, Buffalo, Bmore, Columbus, Raleigh, Philly etc but in the end it's Richmond and nothing else gets it quite right. Richmond's awesome! I'm sure Tacoma is also a very beautiful place.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Haha, I think I'm one of those guilty parties.

There are also many things that are quite different but I definitely recommend you visit if you haven't yet had the opportunity.
No worries. Lots of good info! I appreciate it.

Yeah, I think it's only a 5 or 6 hour drive from here. Seems my travel list keeps getting longer. Not enough hours in the day, but I'm trying.

Somebody mentioned Richmond was sort of a city that was good in all areas, but not necessarily stand out or deficient in any few. Not sure if that's the case?

So friendly and down to earth people in Richmond in what sense? Midwestern? NE? Southern?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 PM

104 posts, read 127,043 times
Quote:

Not to mention the COL is almost the same, winter temperatures/rainfall, and crime rate is somewhat comparable.
Ashville and Tacoma's crime rates are not comparable.

Violent Crime Rate:
Asheville - 4.47 per 1,000
Tacoma - 8.68 per 1,000

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And again, Tacoma has a much higher assault and rape rate than Richmond, which is considered substantially more dangerous than Asheville.

Make no mistake, Tacoma does have some legitimate ghettos (all in South Tacoma - I agree Hilltop can't really be considered a ghetto anymore). And this is from someone who has lived in California and Arizona and knows what a legitimate ghetto is.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going to Tacoma - it's a very cool city and much of it is safe, albeit gritty. But there are definitely parts of it that I would consider unsafe even today. Although, there is no doubt Tacoma is safer now than in the 1990s, when the crime rate was substantially higher.

Last edited by Yac; 05-27-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 PM

765 posts, read 897,974 times
Quote:
Strange and quirky I don't mind so much as cold (Seattle) and smug (Portland). Does it have that far left militant thing going on?
It does have that going on to some extent however, most Tacomans are just really chill and laid back. They have opinions, and if you ask them, they would probably be glad to share them with you it's not an in your face mentality at all quite opposite but the majority of people are far left to answer that. Militant is hit or miss x)

In regards to Stadium High School (the castle) I went there and it is probably the most beautiful high school in the world, worth a visit. Also the near by Wright Park.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post

Violent Crime Rate:
Asheville - 4.47 per 1,000
Tacoma - 8.68 per 1,000

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Hmmm, I was going by CD stats. Seems Asheville's murder rate is slightly higher than Tacoma's. Maybe it's a perception thing? Never thought of a picturesque mountain town having drive by shootings and a bunch of meth labs before coming here.

In any event I'm not really worried about it. Lived in Columbus during years where the crime rate was higher than all three (in an area considered a good area no less) and the only issue I had was having my car window broken.

Last edited by Yac; 05-27-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
It does have that going on to some extent however, most Tacomans are just really chill and laid back. They have opinions, and if you ask them, they would probably be glad to share them with you it's not an in your face mentality at all quite opposite but the majority of people are far left to answer that. Militant is hit or miss x)
Ah. That was one of the issues with Portland. Either you shared their far left views or you were free to get out. I'm liberal by Midwestern standards, but more of a moderate by NE/Western ones. I like being around people with differing opinions/stances/beliefs who can coexist with others who might not share each and every they stand for.

One of the more interesting run ins I had was when I tried to hire a guy to do some website coding for me and he refused the job because I'd make money from the finished site. Apparently I was too much of a capitalist or something because I was interesting in having my own business...

Or being refused service simply because the person didn't like your friend.

Or 20 minute conversations on your worthiness & the merits of a book before being allowed to purchase it.

Or mistakenly trying to go to a local bank that wasn't "good enough" because of some obscure policy a group of protesters had an issue with.

Or countless other things.

Basically minor annoyances that made everyday living a hassle.

I couldn't imagine someone on the right even putting up with Portland at all.

Seattle from what I saw was more balkanized. You had different groups, but you had to pick and choose. Then pick who you were going to take issue with. Although I only visited Seattle and never lived there so maybe it was just the people I was around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City