Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You know better than this, it's based on MSA. SE Michigan does not have plummeting property values and you know it. Why you are taking the city of Detroit to make you're point when you know it's based on the region is beyond me. Even with your snark I can usually agree on your points of view, but you're being intellectually dishonest here.

It's always worth noting that you're are former metro Detroiter so that may have something to do with your attitude toward it.
Judging by his username I would assume he lives in New Orleans which ranked last so he has to vent by lashing out at Detroit.

NOLA101 while the list (as most list) may be flawed. You seem to be forgetting one of if not the most important thing, the job factor. Not just cost of living. I'll make a comparison between the city you keep talking about "Detroit" and your assumed location judging by your username "New Orleans".

Greater New Orleans has 1 fortune 500 company.
Greater Detroit has over a dozen fortune 500 companies.

Greater New Orleans has a higher unemployment rate than greater Detroit.

Greater Detroit is ranked higher than greater New Orleans in median household income.
New Orleans: $35,317
Detroit: $49,160

So career wise (of course depending on which field) judging by statistics not personal feelings, it would probably be wiser to pick Detroit over New Orleans. And it looks like the list also depends on rather a job market is growing or not and how much.

Cities with a very high COL are going to be harder to rank up there with affordable cities, especially if their job market isn't too good. While lower COL cities with good and growing job markets will probably rank pretty well especially if the jobs pay well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:08 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston is losing jobs at a net loss now so this probably isn't accurate anymore.

Source: http://www.tracer2.com/admin/uploade...houstonmsa.pdf
lol

Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,929 times
The West accounts for six of the top ten spots on the list.
Nice to see Vegas nice and high on this list as well at number 15. People like to bash on all our tourism/hospitality jobs but the fact is that you can make a great living out here with plenty of quality work available.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:29 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Judging by his username I would assume he lives in New Orleans which ranked last so he has to vent by lashing out at Detroit.

NOLA101 while the list (as most list) may be flawed. You seem to be forgetting one of if not the most important thing, the job factor. Not just cost of living. I'll make a comparison between the city you keep talking about "Detroit" and your assumed location judging by your username "New Orleans".

Greater New Orleans has 1 fortune 500 company.
Greater Detroit has over a dozen fortune 500 companies.

Greater New Orleans has a higher unemployment rate than greater Detroit.

Greater Detroit is ranked higher than greater New Orleans in median household income.
New Orleans: $35,317
Detroit: $49,160

So career wise (of course depending on which field) judging by statistics not personal feelings, it would probably be wiser to pick Detroit over New Orleans. And it looks like the list also depends on rather a job market is growing or not and how much.

Cities with a very high COL are going to be harder to rank up there with affordable cities, especially if their job market isn't too good. While lower COL cities with good and growing job markets will probably rank pretty well especially if the jobs pay well.
Ironically, the BLS just reported today that among 1 million+ sized MSAs, Detroit had the largest y-o-y decrease in unemployment at near 3% while New Orleans had the largest y-o-y increase at 1% between April 2014 and April 15.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,860 times
The ranking for Norfolk-Virginia Beach doesn't surprise me, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why we can't seem to attract more businesses here.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
The ranking for Norfolk-Virginia Beach doesn't surprise me, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why we can't seem to attract more businesses here.
I wonder if it's because the Hampton Roads area has some economic overlap with Northern Virginia, which outcompetes it for businesses.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:17 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wonder if it's because the Hampton Roads area has some economic overlap with Northern Virginia, which outcompetes it for businesses.
That's probable, but I feel like there's some serious disincentive to having a business here that's really obvious but nobody really knows about.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Excepting SF and Seattle, I will take all the cities on the bottom of the list over the cities on the top of the list. There also appears to be no rhyme or reason to the list, with declining areas like ranked well and booming areas ranked poorly.

Pittsburgh, for example, has the worst population loss of any metro in the U.S., and pretty mediocre wages and limited white collar job market, yet is ranked first in the Northeast. NYC, which probably has more high wage jobs than any metro on the planet, and has very robust high wage jobs growth, is ranked last in the Northeast. Huh?

Or in the Midwest, Detroit is ranked #1 for employment. Why, exactly? Detroit is a mess.

In the West, LA is nearly ranked dead last, but Salt Lake is ranked near the top. I think it's fairly clear there are more high paying jobs in LA than in Salt Lake.
Guess again........ Since 2010, 28 metros have seen at least half its new jobs created... -- CHICAGO, May 28, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Limited white collar job market? LOL What are you stuck in, 1980?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:24 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Ironically, the BLS just reported today that among 1 million+ sized MSAs, Detroit had the largest y-o-y decrease in unemployment at near 3% while New Orleans had the largest y-o-y increase at 1% between April 2014 and April 15.
Wow, yeah Detroit has been making some pretty good recovery. I just started job hunting in the area not too long ago hopefully I can get one of those living wage jobs.

And wow that's odd considering the fact that New Orleans is growing and has growing tourism numbers. I wonder what's going on down there.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Obviously the study is bogus.....given that the Twin Cities is not ranked ahead of Detroit.
I'm glad we agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City