Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which location provides better weather for traditional summer activities?
Coastal Southern California 47 73.44%
The Jersey Shore (NOT the TV show) 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I think the survey wasn't debating the lush green beaches (FL, GA, NC, VA etc) it was debating NJ beaches which are largely composed of the opposite of what you're looking for.
I didn't read anything comparing beaches at all in the OP hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:18 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
I have no idea how warm Jersey Shore water is, but SoCal water is too cold. I began to lose my tolerance to it living there, and there were entire years I didn't enter the water (besides a foot) without a west suit (and that was for surfing) despite living right on the ocean and having my own private beach. Instead I'd just read outside and listen to the surf pound (or go surfing).

I also think 70s is too cool for summer. Winter it's nice, but summer it's too cold.

Only thing people don't realize is that in coastal SoCal nights tend to drop in the low 60s which is probably comparable to Jersey.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I'm from SoCal and have never been to the Jersey Shore so I can't make any comparison, but one thing that always baffles me is that people complain that California's summer nights are too cold. What's up with that?

We do have some hot nights here during the summer. Most people find them unpleasant. It's already been hot all day long, and when the sun finally goes down, there is no relief. Even with windows open, the house doesn't cool off. It's hard to sleep without a/c or fans. What's to love?

To me it's such a relief when the weather shifts, and after a hot day, evening brings a cool, refreshing breeze. So I really would like to know the appeal of these hot summer nights.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Take a chill pill. I'm from NJ, live in CA. I know there are very nice areas of NJ. Nothing to get blown away by, but definitely nice areas.

I've experienced both NJ and CA beaches and CA has a vastly superior (and year round) beach culture to NJ. It's not even close in my book except the weather is usually better in NJ during the summer.

I also said that NJ beaches deliver a below average experience overall. And I think many would agree that it's true since it's just a hassle and a half just to get there.

And NH doesn't have real beaches at all. They are lakefront beaches -- who complied the data in this survey?
Umm... New Hampshire has an ocean coastline. Given the fact that you didn't think it did, I don't really trust anything else you say so...

Old 06-11-2015, 01:23 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
To me it's such a relief when the weather shifts, and after a hot day, evening brings a cool, refreshing breeze. So I really would like to know the appeal of these hot summer nights.
Warm summer nights allow you to lounge on your terrace or balcony outside without a coat and be comfortable.

In SoCal those cool nights that allow the house to cool off, also necessitate a sweatshirt/jacket to be outside. Which is also not fun.

The best combination though is living off the ocean somewhere with warm nights. The breezes keep you comfortable without AC, but at the same time allow you to relax outside with just a t-shirt and shorts.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:39 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
I'm from SoCal and have never been to the Jersey Shore so I can't make any comparison, but one thing that always baffles me is that people complain that California's summer nights are too cold. What's up with that?

We do have some hot nights here during the summer. Most people find them unpleasant. It's already been hot all day long, and when the sun finally goes down, there is no relief. Even with windows open, the house doesn't cool off. It's hard to sleep without a/c or fans. What's to love?

I don't really get it either, summer nights in Northern CA are cool especially places by the water. But when I lived in San Diego pretty much most nights were pretty mild to warm and I never needed long sleeves (well except for the "summer" of 2010). Most nights it's in the 70's to upper 60's at the coolest. The low usually doesn't occur until just before sunrise so even if the low was in the mid-60's it was generally still around upper 60's to 70 at midnight or so. I found summer nights in Coastal SoCal very comfortable to warm overall, sometimes too warm.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:39 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Umm... New Hampshire has an ocean coastline. Given the fact that you didn't think it did, I don't really trust anything else you say so...
Yeah all FIVE STATE PARK BEACHES! Man, New Hampshire REALLY has a hell of a long shoreline to compare NJ's to : The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation : Seacoast Beaches

....And why should we trust you again?

Old 06-11-2015, 01:43 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:

When I moved out to CA from NJ I was definitely taken a back by how cooler the summer nights felt. And really it has nothing to do with temperature readout (Socal stays in the 60s at night) it's the fact that the air is drier in CA so it feels colder. NJ has moist humid summer air. It's like comparing a desert night to a swamp night.

Of course the big exception was Monday night out here! That was a night where you could walk out on the Santa Monica beach in a t-shirt and shorts at 9pm!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Yeah all FIVE STATE PARK BEACHES! Man, New Hampshire REALLY has a hell of a long shoreline to compare NJ's to : The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation : Seacoast Beaches

....And why should we trust you again?
I didn't say that. I stated that New Hampshire was selected as the state with the cleanest water in 2013. And NJ came second. That's it. I have actually not once been to a New Hampshire beach. Rhode Island has beautiful beaches and also a small coastline, so I'm not sure what the point is about size.

You should trust me because I'm not the one who thought New Hampshire had no coastline. I know what the hell I am talking about. I have been going to NJ beaches, up and down the coast, the best and the not so best, for over 20 years. I have been to the northernmost beach (Sandy Hook) and the southernmost beach (Cape May) and many places up and down in between. Other than proving stereotypes and negative attitudes wrong, I have no stake in this debate. I won't vote because I don't know California nearly as well and it's not a fair position. I just want to correct people when they're wrong and tell them why with facts and personal experience, which I have a lot of. I always see BS posted, and thought, about NJ and I'm here to correct it. Some things people are saying here are flat out wrong. And I've corrected them for clarification purposes.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:48 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:

Just being outside! Also, being able to wear the same thing into the night with no long sleeves/jackets.

I was in San Diego in October and the nights were surprisingly chilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City