Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:39 PM

124 posts, read 179,081 times

Advertisements

So I have been reading heavily on the Colonial Era of American history and I am obsessed!

I have decided that for my annual summer vacation I want to spend some time at an American city with a strong colonial past.

I narrowed it to the largest major cities during the time: Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, and Charleston.

Of these which has the strongest colonial heritage, and if anyone would like to add to the list please feel free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,548,609 times
Hampton Roads, Hampton Roads, Hampton Roads, and also Hampton Roads.

Basically 3/4ths of the neighborhoods/areas in the region have "colony" somewhere in the name.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:56 PM

312 posts, read 268,882 times
In this order: Philadelphia 1st, Boston 2nd, Charleston 3rd, and NYC 4th.

NYC: Everything has become urbanized. The only historic (colonial) sites left are sites like Trinity Church.

Charleston: This city has a lot of colonial architecture but most if it is remake. There is also a lot of tourism sites to see but the amount is not on level with Philly and Boston. Charleston is a great city for a colonial history buff because the sites range from British to french to spanish to african american influences. There are a lot of forts and plantations you can visit.

Boston: Boston is another level to Charleston. There are a lot of historic sites but a lot of them are gone due to the Big Dig and highways that tore through the city years back. But the Freedom trail is a very fun experience to take. You can see The Old North Church, Quincy Market, Paul Revere's house, Bunker Hill Monument, Beacon Hill. The freedom trail is what ranks Boston a notch above. This is a throw in but Salem and Plymouth, while not in the city but somewhat near (30 min-2 hours away) are also very historic sites.

Philadelphia is the alpha of colonial history. Independence Mall is the most historic square mile in the US. You have Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall, old meetinghouses (quakers), Christ Church as well as others, Town Squares, Society Hill, Penn's Landing, Market Street, Old Pennsylvania Hospital, Betsy Ross house, etc. Philadelphia trumps all other cities in colonial history. 30 min outside of the city is Valley Forge National Park, Pennsbury Manor, New Castle, DE, Washington's crossing, etc. There is a lot to do in Philly for someone who is very interested in colonial history

Another city you could have added was Williamsburg/Jamestown. I used to go there as a kid, well I still am one, and I loved it so much. While most is not original, it still feels very historic. The cobblestone and sea shell streets to the brick and southern wood buildings, it feels like you have really taken a step back in time. Plus you have William and Mary across the street so maybe you can turn it into a college visit as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:30 PM

325 posts, read 255,918 times
Go to Annapolis for a day. Arguably a more satisfying and "colonial" experience than any of the others you listed, and you can see plenty of choice spots in Northern Virginia nearby.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,365,375 times
LOVE the Boston freedom trail: history alive!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:25 PM

93 posts, read 197,059 times
I'd think about the Colonial Parkway by the Hampton Roads area. Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg connected by this Parkway. You could stay there for a bit then head to Charlottesville (2 1/2 hours away) to take in the mountains and Jefferson's Monticello.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:00 AM

998 posts, read 1,251,700 times
Hampton Roads

Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,716,123 times
Nova

Old 06-16-2015, 08:11 AM

124 posts, read 179,081 times
I agree that Philadelphia has the most colonial past, I want to experience life pre Revolutionary war.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 AM

472 posts, read 813,335 times
Philadelphia by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City