Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 AM

218 posts, read 840,466 times

Advertisements

Both cities have similar populations (MSA ~ 850k), and both are mid-sized Southern cities that are somewhat overshadowed by the larger cities of their states (Charleston and New Orleans, respectively).

How do they compare on:

Nightlife
Arts/events/things to do
Shopping
Restaurants
Scenery
Job market
Cost of living
People
Politics
Overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
Both cities have similar populations (MSA ~ 850k), and both are mid-sized Southern cities that are somewhat overshadowed by the larger cities of their states (Charleston and New Orleans, respectively).

How do they compare on:

Nightlife
Arts/events/things to do
Shopping
Restaurants
Scenery
Job market
Cost of living
People
Politics
Overall
Greenville is very underrated among peer cities...I'm not sure BR competes well here other than being the state capital. Greenville for each category in my opinion, although I don't know much about the nightlife/shopping/restaurants in either city.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I think Baton Rouge probably wins the job market/economy category; the petrochemical industry gives it a big boost, and it also has some stability being the state capital and home to LSU. Other than that, I'm not all that familiar with BR so it's tough.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:58 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
I'm going with Baton Rouge but here is mine

Nightlife - Baton Rouge
Arts/events/things to do - Baton Rouge
Shopping - Baton Rouge
Restaurants - Baton Rouge
Scenery - Greenville
Job market - Baton Rouge
People - Greenville
Politics - Greenville
Overall - Baton Rouge

Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I grew up near Baton Rouge but worked a couple years in Greenville. Here's my take

Nightlife - For me, I like Greenville better except on nights of LSU games...overall tie
Arts/events/things to do - Greenville
Shopping - Neither is exceptional and both okay...tie
Restaurants - Tough call because G'Ville has some great restaurants downtown but I gotta go with the Red Stick in a close one.
Scenery - Greenville is gorgeous and downtown is Fab
Job market - For me, Greenville
Cost of living - Tie
People - I think people in BR are slightly friendlier
Politics - Both align with my politics so tie
Overall - To live, I would pick Greenville due to less crime, more moderate climate, more scenic.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:26 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Politics - Both align with my politics so tie
Is Baton Rouge as conservative as Greenville? I'd imagine that it's bluer as it has a larger minority population, but I wouldn't think it would be just as conservative.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:30 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Is Baton Rouge as conservative as Greenville? I'd imagine that it's bluer as it has a larger minority population, but I wouldn't think it would be just as conservative.
Well the city of BR votes Democrat but the outlying areas are conservative Republican...so yes not quite as conservative as Greenville. One difference is baton Rouge has a large Catholic population while Greenville has a large Baptist population that is devout and I've never seen so many large churches all over the city as in Greenville.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
I would take Greenville over Baton Rouge most any day. Restaurants are slightly better in Baton Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City