Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,823,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanightskies View Post
I think you might be right but I am more confused than ever now, haha. Is LA walkable, can you live there without a car- I've read mixed things? Are there neighborhoods where it is safe to walk late at night? Is there pretty hiking or is it mostly brownish bush scrub?

And thanks again for everyone's feedback, I'm amazed there are so many helpful strangers out there.... thank you!
LA is not walkable. And NYC is not either unless you live in Manhattan and a few other enclaves which are extraordinarily expensive. Walkable pretty much does not exist except in scattered neighborhood anywhere in the Sun Belt. There are for instance a few places in Las Vegas where you can live without a car...but they are few in number and scattered in various places. And even then employment tends to screw it up.

I have a daughter who is in to walkable for unknown reasons and in fact no longer has a driver's license. She however lives in central Boston and before that in the middle of San Francisco. That is what you do if you wish to go walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:59 PM

616 posts, read 646,426 times
Portland sucks dont move there

Old 07-04-2015, 04:23 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,916,808 times
Quote:
I love the beach and the harbor views and would love to find those things in a city...

I am a nighttime person.

love a varied and delicious food scene....

get bored easily in small cities and would like an endless array of entertainment options and classes, art galleries, etc. available 24/7...

I love NYC above all places I have been in the USA because it is so walkable and alive 24/7- but the cold and high cost of living is a deal-breaker.
Go to South Beach. Can't afford that? Try Fort Lauderdale or New Orleans. Maybe Philly.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,621,366 times
Chico, CA. Sounds like it could be a fit for you.. The only downside I could find is that it's a bit isolated from other cities.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 14,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Go to South Beach. Can't afford that? Try Fort Lauderdale or New Orleans. Maybe Philly.
South Beach was nice to visit but it felt a little one-dimensional somehow. Fort Lauderdale is nice but also felt a little one-dimensional (although less so than South Beach). Philly felt like a checkerboard of safe and not-so-safe neighborhoods, not as walkable overall as I would like.

NYC, LA, or San Francisco are really what I am looking for but at a cheaper price... I don't think that exists anywhere so maybe I just need to move to one of those places and figure it out. Lake Tahoe and Redwood forests and all that comes with the West coast are my ideal (I think Lake Tahoe is paradise, possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen).

This is probably going to anger a lot of people out there so I apologize in advance. I thought New Orleans was, for me personally, hell on earth. I visited in 2014 and walked past several groups of locals standing around the street with pitbulls on thick chains when I was there (no I don't think all pitbulls are capable of maiming someone, but these ones looked/acted like they were) and big parts of the downtown area felt like they strangely oozed religious overtones mixed with crime and sleaze. The locals seemed incredibly unfriendly and the service at restaurants was consistently sloooowwww and the orders came out wrong when they eventually did, at several establishments. I'm sure this is all unfair and offensive to those who live there, I probably only saw the worst of it somehow, but I walked around the "safe" neighborhoods downtown for hours in the daytime and I've never felt anxious and creeped out like that anywhere else, ever, and will never return to visit let alone live there. A lot of people there seemed inexplicably angry covered by fake politeness, and the ones who were "nice" seemed like they were hiding intentions and freaked me out even more- I felt like I was about to be robbed or murdered and dumped in a bayou somewhere. I'm not afraid of cities and have never felt like any other city was unfriendly or creepy in this way, and although I can't necessarily justify these impressions they were there and left their mark. Maybe it was all in my head, but my internal alarm bells were going off the entire time I was there.

I appreciate your response, and sorry for the rant, I just felt that the thread was starting to veer toward places that are not a good match.

Last edited by floridanightskies; 07-04-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Chico, CA. Sounds like it could be a fit for you.. The only downside I could find is that it's a bit isolated from other cities.
Chico looks beautiful and safe, outdoorsy, nice weather, clean- almost perfect.

The place I live now and surrounding areas (Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, North Port, Englewood, Venice etc.) also check those boxes though, and for me personally have become quite boring after a while. Does Chico have a lot going on there? Nightlife, festivals, clubs (interest-based clubs that is), meetup groups, and late-night friendly? Is it a good town for someone who will be in her thirties soon and does not plan to have children?

Last edited by floridanightskies; 07-04-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,916,808 times
Quote:
South Beach was nice to visit but it felt a little one-dimensional somehow. Fort Lauderdale is nice but also felt a little one-dimensional (although less so than South Beach). Philly felt like a checkerboard of safe and not-so-safe neighborhoods, not as walkable overall as I would like.

NYC, LA, or San Francisco are really what I am looking for but at a cheaper price... I don't think that exists anywhere so maybe I just need to move to one of those places and figure it out.
Well, at a reasonable price point for your 24/7 lifestyle that's about it.

Maybe Jersey City, Oakland, or Long Beach?

Although, if Philly didn't meet you're walking standards that only leaves you with NYC & San Francisco.

Unfortunately people have realized it long before these boards so the COL reflects this (almost double where you are now).

If South Beach felt one-dimensional to you you'd probably feel the same way about Vegas (if not more so).

Austin, Portland, and Sacramento will probably bore you to tears as well. None of those are 24/7 type places.

LA isn't very walkable. Chicago gets damn cold and if Philly didn't do it for you in walkable terms Chicago won't.

New Orleans really isn't my thing either, but it does have a number of your wants.

Only other thing I can think of is try living outside of the US.

Edit: Chico, CA is a college town. One note.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Well, at a reasonable price point for your 24/7 lifestyle that's about it.

Maybe Jersey City, Oakland, or Long Beach?
Those are all excellent suggestions- more affordable but still close to the action. Thank you for all of your help brainstorming.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,284,571 times
Outside the US I'd say that you'd love Tokyo.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,823,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Outside the US I'd say that you'd love Tokyo.
YOu have not spent much time in Tokyo between 1AM and 5AM. When the available attraction is a big fish market you know you are reaching too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: