Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I have spent my whole life in the east , 27 years in Ohio and the past 3 in the southeast, upstate SC. I'm not too bothered by the humidity . I was in Phoenix a few months ago when it was averaging 108°F. I did hiking in the mornings and was sweating here too by 730am. It didn't feel any hotter than 90°F here. Though you could definetly feel the beating sun and I had to use sunscreen daily, unlike here in the east. I was in south FL 2 weeks ago and did some hiking trails in their palm forest type deals. It was in the 70s and I started to sweat even in the evening. If FL had no hurricanes and had mountains I'd move there sure. I am debating on a Phoenix move though because I am tired of being cold here for 3 months. Then again, I dont know If I could do 3-4 months of 115-120 either.
Good news for you, it only hits 115 a few times a year, maybe 10 days or so. Most summer days are 105-109 with about 30-50 above 110 but over 115 is very rare. In 2018 I think it was less than 5 days.

Another big perk to Phoenix is we have the high country nearby, drive 90-120 minutes north and the temps are 20-30 degrees cooler. That just isn’t possible in the southeast.

I’ve been here for 17 summers and manage a very active lifestyle on the countless trails in our backyard, in the summer we go early and spend the afternoons either at the pool, lake or catching a movie or other indoor event. The worst of summer is 6/15 to 9/15, during those 12 weeks the lows tend to stay above 85 which is the most annoying part of summer but by mid September it loses its grip and you start to see lows in the 70s again.

Overall I view Phoenix as a pretty easy weather city, you almost always know what you’re going to get and that makes planning life much simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 02:41 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,826,060 times
My parents, life long Phoenicians, moved to Sarasota a wee bit south of Tampa. They are there for the beach, something Phoenix doesn't have!

My mom, who has been terrible with "cold" weather (cold for a Phoenician is a lot different than most Americans) seems to be enjoying the Floridian weather a bit more than my dad. My dad struggles with it a bit more and is always sweating. My dad says he enjoys Georgia weather a bit more. My mom disagrees and thinks Georgia is too cold.

I'm always sweating in Florida, I don't enjoy it. I sweat a lot here too but, the sweat goes away pretty easily. There it feels like I'm always kinda wet. My dad is like me and doesn't enjoy that factor.

I enjoy the storms though when I visit. I wish Phoenix had more of those.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:59 PM

256 posts, read 151,674 times
Coming from a very humid place myself, I can gladly vote Phoenix. I've never felt dry heat myself but at this point anything sounds better than the humidity. You can hardly walk outside for 5 minutes without your hair becoming a mess and during the summer, you sweat just sitting outside. I get that Phoenix is hot and all but still. I remember a day this past summer where we got a 112 heat index - it was ACTUALLY 96 degrees.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 801,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
90 degrees with humidity is not comparable to 110 degrees without humidity. 110 is much worse, and also more dangerous.
This piqued my interest so I looked up this website. https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

Plugging in some numbers:

90F degrees and 90% humidity, fairly common for Florida in summer = Heat Index 122F

110 F and 25%, fairly common for Phoenix in summer = 117F

So really about the same. In both places you cannot have vigorous activity outdoors mid-day. Both require a lot of air-con. Personally, I would prefer Phoenix because rather dislike the stickiness of humid weather. YMMV.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:14 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,271,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
This piqued my interest so I looked up this website. https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

90F degrees and 90% humidity, fairly common for Florida in summer = Heat Index 122F
Nope, lmao

Old 12-17-2018, 08:34 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,906,523 times
Quote:

So really about the same. In both places you cannot have vigorous activity outdoors mid-day. Both require a lot of air-con. Personally, I would prefer Phoenix because rather dislike the stickiness of humid weather. YMMV.
Florida gets plenty of cloud cover and thunderstorms during summer months. Phoenix Arizona summers on the other hand has zero cloud cover and relentless sun beaming on you all day. Both are awful, but I would rather deal with Tampa climate over Phoenix. Thunderstorms and cloud cover from the partly cloudy days gives more relief than Phoenix's unforgiving beaming sun all day.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:

Average afternoon humidity in June in Phoenix is 11%, 110 at 11% = 105.

In Miami in June that number is 68% in the afternoon, 90 at 68% = 105
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City