Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Chicago?
Philadelphia, PA 37 29.60%
Chicago, IL 89 71.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,297,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Again, the votes went differently than the comments. Not many, if anyone, went through the 7 criteria listed one-by-one and came out with Chicago winning on them.

By the way, I'm astonished to find, now looking at a map, that Philadelphia is closer to Toronto than Chicago is. It seems that Chicago truly is out on a fairly isolated island of its own, unless you're already from the upper midwest or have friends and family there.

But I still love that elevated subway system!
Great Chicago has a like for its Choo Choo train on elevated tracks. . BUT OMG you really ran out of comments? If you had to go to Philly closer in distance to Toronto. REALLY. Then Chicago. You can go to the Bronx or Brooklyn. To see a similar Elevated Train. Just not Manhattan, for a few decades now.

I usually, when someone is negative and post slights to a passive/AGRESSIVE post on a city? Especially my favorite. I did see a pattern of post that slight or lessen Chicago attributes. Not really boasting though, for NYC. Makes me wonder why Specifically?

Strange to live in NYC and ABHOR Skyscrapers LOL. Like I said Philadelphians are proud of theirs and want more. So it is not a referenced slight to merely Chicago. As that was your comment to my pictures.
Merely as Glass monstrosities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 AM

2,570 posts, read 3,650,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You'd better tell that to the numerous people I know from Chicago, who make the trip regularly to Milwaukee. Also, there are more and more Chicago residents purchasing condos in Milwaukee's Third Ward, and spending week-ends there. Less expensive than buying a condo in Chicago, and in a very popular Milwaukee neighborhood.
eh, most Chicagoans I know view Milwaukee in a pretty positive light. It's like our little brother up north. Cool location, great bars/restuarants, great lakefront, manageable yet urban. Also, Summerfest is one of the country's best festivals.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM

430 posts, read 838,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Great Chicago has a like for its Choo Choo train on elevated tracks. . BUT OMG you really ran out of comments? If you had to go to Philly closer in distance to Toronto. REALLY. Then Chicago. You can go to the Bronx or Brooklyn. To see a similar Elevated Train. Just not Manhattan, for a few decades now.

I usually, when someone is negative and post slights to a passive/AGRESSIVE post on a city? Especially my favorite. I did see a pattern of post that slight or lessen Chicago attributes. Not really boasting though, for NYC. Makes me wonder why Specifically?

Strange to live in NYC and ABHOR Skyscrapers LOL.
I originally thought that maybe Toronto was day-trippable from Chicago much like New York City and Washington DC are both very day-trippable from Philadephia.

Jump on an Amtrak for one hour to either, and there you are at Union Station in DC next to the Smithsonian, or Penn Station in NYC next to the Empire State Building.

I was expressing dismay though that Chicago is very far west of Toronto, and that Toronto is actually closer in proximity to Philadephia itself, even though I don't know anyone in NYC who considers Toronto a particularly close metropolis when DC, Philly, Boston, etc. are all much closer.

Probably the most famous elevated line in NYC is the 7 in Queens, in addition to Brooklyn and the Bronx as you pointed out. Chicago has elevated lines through its built-up downtown area though as I remember, but in contrast to what you said, Manhattan actually does NOT have an elevated line anymore. Sadly.

I don't abhor historic and stylish skyscrapers like the Woolworth Building and 40 Wall Street and the Chrysler Building. Those are gorgeous. But ones that are entirely glass tend to be fairly boring most of the time. From 60 Wall Street to 1 World Trade Center.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 PM

37,376 posts, read 39,809,011 times
Quote:
I originally thought that maybe Toronto was day-trippable from Chicago much like New York City and Washington DC are both very day-trippable from Philadephia.

Jump on an Amtrak for one hour to either, and there you are at Union Station in DC next to the Smithsonian, or Penn Station in NYC next to the Empire State Building.

I was expressing dismay though that Chicago is very far west of Toronto, and that Toronto is actually closer in proximity to Philadephia itself, even though I don't know anyone in NYC who considers Toronto a particularly close metropolis when DC, Philly, Boston, etc. are all much closer.

Probably the most famous elevated line in NYC is the 7 in Queens, in addition to Brooklyn and the Bronx as you pointed out. Chicago has elevated lines through its built-up downtown area though as I remember, but in contrast to what you said, Manhattan actually does NOT have an elevated line anymore. Sadly.

I don't abhor historic and stylish skyscrapers like the Woolworth Building and 40 Wall Street and the Chrysler Building. Those are gorgeous. But ones that are entirely glass tend to be fairly boring most of the time. From 60 Wall Street to 1 World Trade Center.
Most famous elevated is J/Z (Jay Z). C'mon now, rube.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Most famous elevated is J/Z (Jay Z). C'mon now, rube.
Pretty doubtful, lol, but certainly the namesake rapper is famous.

And also not in Manhattan.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Pretty doubtful, lol, but certainly the namesake rapper is famous.

And also not in Manhattan.
What. You are a true rube. Tell me how the J/Z line doesn't go into Manhattan. For real.

Regardless, your statement was that the 7 train was the most famous elevated--elevated in Manhattan or not (which neither except for a tiny bit of the J/Z while coming down from the bridge) are. The 7 train is not the most famous elevated in NYC. That's the end of it.

1 train is the only elevated--but again, not the most famous elevated train in NYC.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,204,022 times
The 1 is elevated in Manhattan for about 9 blocks (West Side, 123ish to 134ish)...

Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The 1 is elevated in Manhattan for about 9 blocks (West Side, 123ish to 134ish)...
Thanks for this. Need to get to West Harlem more I suppose. Weird that it goes elevated for about one stop and then dives back underground for the rest of Upper Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What. You are a true rube. Tell me how the J/Z line doesn't go into Manhattan. For real.

Regardless, your statement was that the 7 train was the most famous elevated--elevated in Manhattan or not (which neither except for a tiny bit of the J/Z while coming down from the bridge) are. The 7 train is not the most famous elevated in NYC. That's the end of it.

1 train is the only elevated--but again, not the most famous elevated train in NYC.
Neither is elevated in Manhattan, as I said. But, actually, in contrast to your point the 7 is more famous than the J or Z. Primarily because it serves far more people and runs to Mets games and through Grand Central Station and Times Square. It's the primary train of all of Queens. The J/Z runs only through the Lower East Side and Wall Street in Manhattan, so no one cares. In Brooklyn, it's in the non-hipster areas (which are served by the L) so again, no one cares. It's an afterthought in both boroughs.

I guess you live in some forgotten neighborhood on the J/Z and so think it's cool?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,041,373 times
LOL how does the J and Z not go thru Manhattan? You can catch it in FiDi, go up to Chinatown and then east thru Lower East Side, across the Williamsburg Bridge and into Brooklyn. It's above ground for the bridge sections of Manhattan (starts early and still in Manhattan).

Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this. Need to get to West Harlem more I suppose. Weird that it goes elevated for about one stop and then dives back underground for the rest of Upper Manhattan.

Neither is elevated in Manhattan, as I said. But, actually, in contrast to your point the 7 is more famous than the J or Z. Primarily because it serves far more people and runs to Mets games and through Grand Central Station and Times Square. It's the primary train of all of Queens. The J/Z runs only through the Lower East Side and Wall Street in Manhattan, so no one cares. In Brooklyn, it's in the non-hipster areas (which are served by the L) so again, no one cares. It's an afterthought in both boroughs.

I guess you live in some forgotten neighborhood on the J/Z and so think it's cool?
No one said it was elevated in Manhattan.

It was a direct response to the 7 being the most famous in NYC--per your words, not mine. Don't be silly. It's more famous. Not higher ridership, not which serves larger stations, etc. Just more famous. It is what it is.

And the 7 train is most definitely not the primary train for all of Queens. Sweet Jesus, haven't you been in the city long enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City