Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best State Hands Down
Tennessee 106 65.03%
Missouri 57 34.97%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 12:29 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. I see Nashville leaving Kansas City in the dust. Kansas City cannot compete with the growth going on here. Nashville's downtown looks larger and has more things to do for young people. Major league baseball coming to Nashville will be exciting to watch. St. Louis has peaked, but it will be a while before Nashville passes its metro in population, gdp, infrastructure etc. Tennessee's rural areas are infested with drugs and poverty so it is not a clear win there. Memphis also drags Tennessee down in terms of crime.
Nashville barely even looks like 1.5 mil yet.
Kansas City is solid, stable, more established, and much more well-rounded.
Also, it’s more far affluent than people might give it credit for.
They’re in the early stages of considering putting a baseball stadium downtown, but I’m not a huge fan of the idea.
City for city, St. Louis and Kansas City run circles around Nashville and Memphis. Enough to make up for the secondary cities of Springfield and Columbia compared to Knoxville and Chattanooga.
Rural v rural, it’s probably a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 01:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
I agree. I see Nashville leaving Kansas City in the dust. Kansas City cannot compete with the growth going on here. Nashville's downtown looks larger and has more things to do for young people. Major league baseball coming to Nashville will be exciting to watch. St. Louis has peaked, but it will be a while before Nashville passes its metro in population, gdp, infrastructure etc. Tennessee's rural areas are infested with drugs and poverty so it is not a clear win there. Memphis also drags Tennessee down in terms of crime.
I guess Kansas City has more to do for old people because I enjoy my visits to the city. MLB, NFL, NHL and MLS are in KC right now. It is clear that the metros with the brightest economic future are the ones with the best stem base. St. Louis ranks 17th, Knoxville is at 42, Nashville is 43rd, Kansas City is at 58th, Chattanooga is 85th, Memphis is 96th. St. Louis will never snatch corporations out of California and expensive states like Tennessee cities have. St. Louis future is in VC and funding start ups, growing its AgTech on a international level would be very transformative for St. Louis and Missouri. Tennessee has some of the most violent metros in the country. Missouri has Springfield that ranks 37th most violent msa with a lot of rural crime and poverty. Tennessee has Memphis at #1, Jackson at 39, Nashville at 41 Chattanooga at 42 with a lot of rural violent crime.

source

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...essionals/9200

https://247wallst.com/special-report...itan-areas/11/

Old 04-17-2022, 02:27 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I guess Kansas City has more to do for old people because I enjoy my visits to the city. MLB, NFL, NHL and MLS are in KC right now. It is clear that the metros with the brightest economic future are the ones with the best stem base. St. Louis ranks 17th, Knoxville is at 42, Nashville is 43rd, Kansas City is at 58th, Chattanooga is 85th, Memphis is 96th. St. Louis will never snatch corporations out of California and expensive states like Tennessee cities have. St. Louis future is in VC and funding start ups, growing its AgTech on a international level would be very transformative for St. Louis and Missouri. Tennessee has some of the most violent metros in the country. Missouri has Springfield that ranks 37th most violent msa with a lot of rural crime and poverty. Tennessee has Memphis at #1, Jackson at 39, Nashville at 41 Chattanooga at 42 with a lot of rural violent crime.

source

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...essionals/9200

https://247wallst.com/special-report...itan-areas/11/
To each his/her own on downtowns. Nashville has more attractions, high end restaurants, hotels, shopping, and concert venues than Kansas City's downtown. I like Kansas City, but Nashville is more vibrant. Unfortunately, St. Louis's economy does not look so bright, even with the ranking you mentioned. STEM is only one aspect that cannot correct the mistakes St. Louis has made in its economy. Without discussing crime, leadership, population growth, corporate and small business growth, you (not you, personally) do not get the bigger picture. Nashville has already passed Kansas City in GDP, airport passenger boardings, and international flights, despite having a smaller population. Nashville has had commuter rail since 2006 and lawmakers have proposed an Amtrak connection to Atlanta. Tennessee's problem is that the state is heavily uneven in distributing its resources. Nashville receives most of the attention because it makes up 35% of Tennessee's economy. STEM should be the direction the states moves into, especially in our STEM corridor (Tullahoma through the Tri-cities). Chattanooga and Knoxville should be attracting more of those type of jobs, but they are more focused on service jobs and tourism. They continue to lose to Hunstville, Raleigh, and Atlanta, which have very strong STEM economies. Nashville currently has 3 professional sports teams and one semi pro team. MLB and, recently, a proposed National Women's Soccer League or a Women's National Basketball Assoiciation are real opportunities in the future.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news...-report-finds/

https://wpln.org/post/espn-analyst-b...et-a-mlb-team/

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/la...ough-tennessee

Old 04-17-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
To each his/her own on downtowns. Nashville has more attractions, high end restaurants, hotels, shopping, and concert venues than Kansas City's downtown. I like Kansas City, but Nashville is more vibrant. Unfortunately, St. Louis's economy does not look so bright, even with the ranking you mentioned. STEM is only one aspect that cannot correct the mistakes St. Louis has made in its economy. Without discussing crime, leadership, population growth, corporate and small business growth, you (not you, personally) do not get the bigger picture. Nashville has already passed Kansas City in GDP, airport passenger boardings, and international flights, despite having a smaller population. Nashville has had commuter rail since 2006 and lawmakers have proposed an Amtrak connection to Atlanta. Tennessee's problem is that the state is heavily uneven in distributing its resources. Nashville receives most of the attention because it makes up 35% of Tennessee's economy. STEM should be the direction the states moves into, especially in our STEM corridor (Tullahoma through the Tri-cities). Chattanooga and Knoxville should be attracting more of those type of jobs, but they are more focused on service jobs and tourism. They continue to lose to Hunstville, Raleigh, and Atlanta, which have very strong STEM economies. Nashville currently has 3 professional sports teams and one semi pro team. MLB and, recently, a proposed National Women's Soccer League or a Women's National Basketball Assoiciation are real opportunities in the future.

This is not a bash to you or anyone else on CD. If you don't know you don't know. St. Louis has failed to sell itself is part of the reason you are making the comments you are making. St. Louis small business growth is higher than any city in Tennessee at ranking number 16. Unemployment for both KC and STL is at 3.7% Nashville is at 2.7 that isn't that big of a difference. Per salary expert, Nashville average salary is $56695 (just as a comparison Austin $60913) Memphis $57538 (I know, shocking isn't it) Chattanooga $55130 Knoxville $55668. KC is $59872 STL $61083 Springfield is $53560. STL (11.3) KC (10.5) and Nashville (11.4) is about even when it comes to MSA poverty rates. Economically St. Louis is not the sinking ship that I am thinking you think it is. Correct me if I am wrong. You keep bring up Amtrack, Pro Sports teams and throwing out that Nashville has more attraction in its DT area and I don't think you are sharing the whole picture. STL and KC has had Amtrack, pro sports and LRT with Hyperloop being talked about for years. The things you are hyping Nashville up over is really not bragged about in KC and STL (I don't know if that's good or bad).

btw KC has 30 museums listed in Wikipedia
STL has 36
Nashville has 19

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 04-17-2022 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 11:13 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Nashville barely even looks like 1.5 mil yet.
Kansas City is solid, stable, more established, and much more well-rounded.
Also, it’s more far affluent than people might give it credit for.
They’re in the early stages of considering putting a baseball stadium downtown, but I’m not a huge fan of the idea.
City for city, St. Louis and Kansas City run circles around Nashville and Memphis. Enough to make up for the secondary cities of Springfield and Columbia compared to Knoxville and Chattanooga.
Rural v rural, it’s probably a wash.
How do you qualify the bold? I'd disagree here. Both cities, size-wise, are very similar, but Nashville is booming, while KC is not. Nashville feels much more "in and now" and "electric and exciting," while KC does feel dated, and is slow growing.

I visited Kansas City in 2016, 2017 and 2019, and I visit Nashville about every quarter, for work.

Kansas City is the much more "legacy city" here, with KC being a "sizeably large metro" even in the 1950s/60s, for the US. And, as-a-result, it is more established, with a bit better infrastructure overall, and older style buildings and development layout.

I will say Kansas City is much quieter with any type of downtown development, than Nashville. Nashville is undergoing a complete development "boom," with 30-40+ skyscraper and development projects for downtown, midtown alone.

Nashville has the "entertainment music industry" mega brand that helps it raise its profile above most cities in its category.

KC is a fabulous city, but Nashville is quickly passing it in many areas, and will be on a higher city tier level in 10-20 years.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 04-18-2022 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 12:09 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Tennessee

Better climate....warmer winters

Better location...shorter drive to Florida...Georgia...The Carolinas

Great Smoky Mountains...over 6000 ft high!

Nashville....music city USA

Memphis....Beal Street

Chattanooga ....Lookout Mountain

Old 04-18-2022, 01:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
I predict Tennessee will continue to see large-scale in-migration and Nashville will see enormous amounts of new development and construction. Missouri has little appeal on the national level. I would argue it has some of the worst aspects of the Midwest and South with few of the advantages of either region...

Old 04-18-2022, 03:19 PM

https://fox17.com/news/local/tenness...ate-relocation

Tennessee expected to grow by almost a million over the next 20 years.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
How do you qualify the bold? I'd disagree here. Both cities, size-wise, are very similar, but Nashville is booming, while KC is not. Nashville feels much more "in and now" and "electric and exciting," while KC does feel dated, and is slow growing.

I visited Kansas City in 2016, 2017 and 2019, and I visit Nashville about every quarter, for work.

Kansas City is the much more "legacy city" here, with KC being a "sizeably large metro" even in the 1950s/60s, for the US. And, as-a-result, it is more established, with a bit better infrastructure overall, and older style buildings and development layout.

I will say Kansas City is much quieter with any type of downtown development, than Nashville. Nashville is undergoing a complete development "boom," with 30-40+ skyscraper and development projects for downtown, midtown alone.

Nashville has the "entertainment music industry" mega brand that helps it raise its profile above most cities in its category.

KC is a fabulous city, but Nashville is quickly passing it in many areas, and will be on a higher city tier level in 10-20 years.
Totally agree. I still like KC's general vibe better than Nashville and prefer its legacy big city feel and mix of architecture etc.

But in another 10-15 years, Nashville will blow KC out of the water and will go into a totally different tier while KC remains pretty much where it's at now if not dropping slightly relative to other major cities in the country.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:08 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:

Kansas City's attractions, dining, and shopping are a bit more spread out, but there is no shortage of them. Great place for an against-the-grain vacation.
For families, I find it far more preferable as a place to live and visit. Ditto with St. Louis.

Amtrak has been a KC-St. Louis staple for a long time. Also, both cities have other Amtrak routes that serve them: St. Louis north-south from Chicago to Texas, and KC northeast-west with a direct shot to Chicago and then on out to southern California.
St. Louis has had light rail since the 90's. KC's streetcar is significantly more utilized than the trolleys in Memphis and there are plans to expand it quite a bit.

KC has MLB, NFL, MLS, NWSL, a minor league baseball team in KCK (Monarchs), a minor league hockey team in Independence (Mavericks), and the Kansas Speedway. There are talks of the NBA coming to town, but we'll see. NHL is mentioned from time to time as well. It'd probably just be one or the other, not both.
Of course St. Louis has the Blues and the Cardinals and is slated to get MLS next year. There are also several minor-league teams that play in the area and of course a speedway of their own, the World Wide Technology Raceway (formally Gateway Motorsports Park).
Of course in both cases we're talking about metro's that straddle state lines, but the core of the cities are in Missouri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Just driving around, the look, the feel... Nashville feels closer to 1.5, not 2. Just my opinion.
I traveled extensively with a recent job, 30 or so states regularly. Nashville just doesn't have the same feel as other cities its size.
KC doesn't need a ton of downtown development because it's already there. Over the last couple of decades, downtown has undergone a major transformation and yes, they're still building there. Several new buildings have enhanced the skyline without drastically changing it.
Not sure what about KC feels "dated" other than the fact it has a sizable amount of older neighborhoods, but it's also had a lot of suburban expansion and development in the same amount of time.
It's not like Nashville is all squeaky clean and new. I've seen way too much of it to know better.
"Electric and exciting" just depends on what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City