Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

UTHORNS96 each time in our neighborhoods, at the school and on the play ground. Unsolicited each time, just a blatant coming up to him and telling him they don't like blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 AM

21,667 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dry Humor and Portlandia.lol. But seriously, it seems like Boston is undergoing a revolution of sorts. Boston's one of the few cities in the US undergoing positive and inclusive gentrification. Sounds pretty awesome really. What I didn't know, is that Mattapan was actually WHITER 20yrs ago than it is now. I recently(as in a couple of years ago) found out that Dorchester wasn't exclusively Black. I partly found that out because the Whalberg family grew up in Dorchester, as did the rest of the members of The New Kids. It seems like Dorchester has always had a good mix of working class Blacks living alongside working class Whites.

Suburbs like West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and the like, are becoming more catered for Hipsters? That goes to show how urban Boston's suburbs are, and how they seamlessly blend into The City.

From an outsiders perspective, it does seem like Roxbury is the Harlem of Boston. It seems like anything relating to Black people in Boston, takes place in Roxbury. Malcolm X briefly lived there and even had quotes about the place. I think the NOI still has a big Mosque there. That hood flick "Blue Hill Ave" took place in Roxbury. New Edition grew up in the Orchard Projects in Roxbury. So I can easily see Roxbury being given that Harlem status.

"I didn't know the world contained as many Negroes as I saw thronging downtown Roxbury at night, especially on Saturdays,” Neon lights, nightclubs, poolhalls,[cq] bars, the cars they drove! Restaurants made the streets smell-rich, greasy, down-home black cooking. Jukeboxes blared Erskine Hawkins, Duke Ellington, Cootie Williams, dozens of others.” -Malcolm X
West roxburybis not for hipsters it's middle class white families but the blacks and Hispanics being pushed out of places like Jamaica plain and me for as well as those upgrading from Hyde park and Mattapan have definitely moved in to a certain extent, I lived there for a while. Also Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury are part of the City of Boston not suburbs. And yea mattapan was whiter 20 years ago than now..3% vs. 2%...

Old 08-01-2016, 01:58 AM

785 posts, read 954,815 times
I don't like San Antonio for a black middle class IMO.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Chicago hence why so much of the black middle class has fled.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM

508 posts, read 504,772 times
general consensus i get from this thread is I need to get on a boat to africa.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 AM

When I take a look at the worse cities for AA. It's mostly mid-western cities. The Worst Cities For Black Americans. So I would think the answer would be Milwaukee.

I had family live in Indianapolis and Madison Wisconsin. They really did not like Indianapolis but my other family member likes madison enough.

I think back to one thread a while ago I was lurking on about how one person didn't even think a black radio station would survive in a place Like Minneapolis, which I found to be interesting.

Not the Mid-West but I had another family move from Portland to North Carolina and hated NC and is now back in Portland which I think most people would consider not that great for AA's compared with North Carolina. She was outside of Charlotte.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM

93,446 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
When I take a look at the worse cities for AA. It's mostly mid-western cities. The Worst Cities For Black Americans. So I would think the answer would be Milwaukee.

I had family live in Indianapolis and Madison Wisconsin. They really did not like Indianapolis but my other family member likes madison enough.

I think back to one thread a while ago I was lurking on about how one person didn't even think a black radio station would survive in a place Like Minneapolis, which I found to be interesting.

Not the Mid-West but I had another family move from Portland to North Carolina and hated NC and is now back in Portland which I think most people would consider not that great for AA's compared with North Carolina. She was outside of Charlotte.
Minneapolis has had a black radio station since mid/late 1970's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMOJ

Old 08-01-2016, 10:43 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'd actually like to hear some of these horror stories.

To be frank, I think a black person would be better off in a place that is 90% Hispanic than a place that is 90% non-Hispanic white. Texas most likely has the best Black-Mexican relations in the country. I'm sure there's racism in the RGV, but I'm also sure it's much worse in other parts of the US
As a black Latina living in TX, I totally agree with you!!

Old 08-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Minneapolis has had a black radio station since mid/late 1970's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMOJ
I stand mistaken. Not sure what the woman was on about then. Maybe I can find her quote somewhere. I'll edit this post if I find it.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
As a black Latina living in TX, I totally agree with you!!
Thanks and I guess we've established that not everyone will agree. I have no problem with Latinos, nor do most black people I know, but there are some who do, for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City