Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,490,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Seattle has Black owned radio stations, but what about the other things? Isn't there areas with a notable Black middle class in the cities south of Seattle?

This organization could give an idea of a presence of a Black middle class: Regions
I already live in the Seattle area, and I assure you, the Black middle class has more or less moved on to Tacoma. A lot of the folks mentioned in that link have either moved away altogether or are far less active.

The bottom line is that Seattle is a very white place and people seeking a strong Black middle class would not look in Seattle proper.

'Where Are The Black People?' Struggling To Stay Connected | KUOW News and Information

Tacoma, on the other hand, is definitely emerging. A lot of the black meetups are in the South King County or Tacoma area now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 PM

94,185 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I already live in the Seattle area, and I assure you, the Black middle class has more or less moved on to Tacoma. A lot of the folks mentioned in that link have either moved away altogether or are far less active.

The bottom line is that Seattle is a very white place and people seeking a strong Black middle class would not look in Seattle proper.

'Where Are The Black People?' Struggling To Stay Connected | KUOW News and Information

Tacoma, on the other hand, is definitely emerging. A lot of the black meetups are in the South King County or Tacoma area now.
That is why I asked about the cities south of Seattle like Renton, Kent, Federal Way, etc. I had figured that cities in that part of King County would have some degree of a Black middle class.

What I think helps Tacoma and even other Pierce County communities(Lakewood comes to mind) is the presence of Fort Lewis and McGuire AFB. That is why I find the lack of Black male comment in that article kind of ironic and I believe the area actually has or did have more Black males than Black females in the metro in recent years.

It is also interesting that Jack and Jill was mentioned in the article.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,490,373 times
Quote:
That is why I asked about the cities south of Seattle like Renton, Kent, Federal Way, etc. I had figured that cities in that part of King County would have some degree of a Black middle class.

What I think helps Tacoma and even other Pierce County communities(Lakewood comes to mind) is the presence of Fort Lewis and McGuire AFB. That is why I find the lack of Black male comment in that article kind of ironic and I believe the area actually has or did have more Black males than Black females in the metro in recent years.

It is also interesting that Jack and Jill was mentioned in the article.
If you're from the South, I think it's fair to say that what counts as "a degree of a Black middle class" would be low to middling, at best. One of the issues is the lack of a concerted geographic concentration of Black folks ... until very recently. The migration is largely driven by economic factors:

As Seattle gets richer, the city's black households get poorer | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

So, it's difficult to say "yes, there's a Black middle class" when it's so spread out and so many people are getting shuffled around due to economic reasons.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,121,385 times
The worst cities for middle class black people are small-to-medium southern metropolitan cities with very large and very poor populations.

Take here in Macon, for an example. It sucks when your city is over 60% black and still the clubs, bars, and lounges that cater to a more "cultured" (jazz, r&b, neo-soul, conscious hip hop) black crowd never last long because they don't get much business, yet there are a ton of ghetto nightclubs all over the place.

We just made national headlines on all the major hip-hop sites over the last 2 days. There was a show scheduled for the gangsta rapper "Lil Boosie" (not my type of crowd) but he didn't show up. People trashed the establishment and caused all kinds of damage. A few people were even injured. AllHipHop » Lil Boosie Misses Concert Date…Mayhem Ensues

It sucks when that type of crowd makes up 80-85% of the blacks in your city.

There was a videographer/promoter from here, along with a guy I went to high school with, who tried desperately to bring "cultured" black nightlife to Macon a few years go, but it failed miserably. The videographer/promoter finally gave up and moved to Atlanta. When you set a dress code of no athletic gear, baggy jeans, sagging, no baseball caps, there's not enough people left. Sad.

Here's a vid from a couple years ago, and it took the typical turn for them. They tried to make it more cultured than everything else around here for blacks 25-40. Eventually, they eased up on the dress code after crowds got thin, then it quickly turned into a "ghetto" club and is now no longer open.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
If you're from the South, I think it's fair to say that what counts as "a degree of a Black middle class" would be low to middling, at best. One of the issues is the lack of a concerted geographic concentration of Black folks ... until very recently. The migration is largely driven by economic factors:

As Seattle gets richer, the city's black households get poorer | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

So, it's difficult to say "yes, there's a Black middle class" when it's so spread out and so many people are getting shuffled around due to economic reasons.
It doesn't have to be compared to the South, but if most of the Black people are concentrated from South Seattle into South King County into Tacoma, wouldn't the Black middle class be concentrated there as well? I knew of a concentration in that area in places like Kent, Federal Way and Renton some years ago due to athletes from those cities and knew about the military bases between those cities and Tacoma.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:35 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,799,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
The worst cities for middle class black people are small-to-medium southern metropolitan cities with very large and very poor populations.

Take here in Macon, for an example. It sucks when your city is over 60% black and still the clubs, bars, and lounges that cater to a more "cultured" (jazz, r&b, neo-soul, conscious hip hop) black crowd never last long because they don't get much business, yet there are a ton of ghetto nightclubs all over the place.

We just made national headlines on all the major hip-hop sites over the last 2 days. There was a show scheduled for the gangsta rapper "Lil Boosie" (not my type of crowd) but he didn't show up. People trashed the establishment and caused all kinds of damage. A few people were even injured. AllHipHop » Lil Boosie Misses Concert Date…Mayhem Ensues

It sucks when that type of crowd makes up 80-85% of the blacks in your city.

There was a videographer/promoter from here, along with a guy I went to high school with, who tried desperately to bring "cultured" black nightlife to Macon a few years go, but it failed miserably. The videographer/promoter finally gave up and moved to Atlanta. When you set a dress code of no athletic gear, baggy jeans, sagging, no baseball caps, there's not enough people left. Sad.

Here's a vid from a couple years ago, and it took the typical turn for them. They tried to make it more cultured than everything else around here for blacks 25-40. Eventually, they eased up on the dress code after crowds got thin, then it quickly turned into a "ghetto" club and is now no longer open.

Some places don't even have ghetto spots lol

Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,816,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I have several friends that either lived there or grew up there that were black. In addition to being one of the least diverse places in the country with a minuscule black population, I've heard horror stories.
I'd actually like to hear some of these horror stories.

To be frank, I think a black person would be better off in a place that is 90% Hispanic than a place that is 90% non-Hispanic white. Texas most likely has the best Black-Mexican relations in the country. I'm sure there's racism in the RGV, but I'm also sure it's much worse in other parts of the US

Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'd actually like to hear some of these horror stories.

To be frank, I think a black person would be better off in a place that is 90% Hispanic than a place that is 90% non-Hispanic white. Texas most likely has the best Black-Mexican relations in the country. I'm sure there's racism in the RGV, but I'm also sure it's much worse in other parts of the US
Hmmm...why is that?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be compared to the South, but if most of the Black people are concentrated from South Seattle into South King County into Tacoma, wouldn't the Black middle class be concentrated there as well? I knew of a concentration in that area in places like Kent, Federal Way and Renton some years ago due to athletes from those cities and knew about the military bases between those cities and Tacoma.
Should have said across Tacoma into Lakewood to the military bases and it is McChord AFB.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Some places don't even have ghetto spots lol
What cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City