Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Well maybe in your little world, but I'm speaking about generalities and the overall nation here. BTW, I was born in 1982, so that's irrelevant because there's still ethnic division with millennials and the tail-end of Gen-X.

And your last sentence may be somewhat true with black folks who aren't awake yet, but its a strawman argument that you've built to deflect from the fact that Latinos and other ethnic groups will stick together while a lot of Black Americans are still begging for acceptance from these other groups. It may not be what you want to hear, but we'll see how your Latino brothers and sisters vouch for you when the going gets tough and you get some wake up calls in your life on down the road.

Thank you. There's nothing wrong with forming friendships with people of other races, but I've never understood this need for so many black people who are always so eager to run up in person of another race's face as if everything is all good when a lot of them wouldn't return the favor. Or that Black-Latino relations work to a black person's advantage. Once a large Latino population reaches critical mass and gain political power, blacks are ignored and are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of career opportunities and political power.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd say that Orange County, Phoenix, Portland, Miami-Dade County, Omaha, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Grand Rapids, and St. Louis. Arguably Los Angeles and OC, Phoenix, and Portland because there are hardly any black people in those areas and they have the passive-aggressive hipster racism to a T in those areas. The rest of the cities I named because there are large black populations, but there are either really strained race relations in general and/or the black middle class communities are smaller and the cultural amenities many of them enjoy are few and far between.
I see what you are saying, but Memphis and St. Louis seem odd, at least to me, in terms of being in that list. Even Cincinnati and Louisville, maybe even Grand Rapids to a degree, seem to be odd as well. With Grand Rapids, you could at least point to Kentwood as a example of an area with a sizeable Black middle class.

It may just be a matter of where to look with different areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-07-2015 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:32 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Really. Where I am from in Texas, me and my friends only got alone with very few Hispanics (really the ones who wanted to be black and felt as though they know the struggle when they dont). They thought we were so cool and until they started getting reckless with certain words. Now, I never had major issues with any, but you can sense the tension. The ones that came from different countries use to make fun if us being slaves, that alone tells alot there. Even now, I live in Houston and most Hispanics here have preconceived notions about us, not all but some. Trust me, its not all Kumbaya here as stated, well at least to me its not.

But the worst place for blacks would have to be the Rio Grande in Texas and areas like New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Idaho (though I herd good thing about Boise, but I doubt it). I've been to the Rio Grande (Del Rio) and that place is not fun for blacks at all. Omaha was pretty decent to, though I wouldn't live there, but it was decent.
There's a difference between having preconceived notions about a culture you're unfamiliar with and having a complete disregard for the people that your ancestor's enslaved.

Never in my life has a Hispanic ever made a hateful comment to me in regards to my race or culture. In fact, most of them seemed to feel that racism was just as pointless as I thought it was.

If there are any Mexicans who are anti-black, it could only be due to their lack of education on their own culture and the African heritage that runs through their own blood.
Quote:
Well maybe in your little world, but I'm speaking about generalities and the overall nation here. BTW, I was born in 1982, so that's irrelevant because there's still ethnic division with millennials and the tail-end of Gen-X.

And your last sentence may be somewhat true with black folks who aren't awake yet, but its a strawman argument that you've built to deflect from the fact that Latinos and other ethnic groups will stick together while a lot of Black Americans are still begging for acceptance from these other groups. It may not be what you want to hear, but we'll see how your Latino brothers and sisters vouch for you when the going gets tough and you get some wake up calls in your life on down the road.

Thank you. There's nothing wrong with forming friendships with people of other races, but I've never understood this need for so many black people who are always so eager to run up in person of another race's face as if everything is all good when a lot of them wouldn't return the favor. Or that Black-Latino relations work to a black person's advantage. Once a large Latino population reaches critical mass and gain political power, blacks are ignored and are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of career opportunities and political power.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd say that Orange County, Phoenix, Portland, Miami-Dade County, Omaha, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Grand Rapids, and St. Louis. Arguably Los Angeles and OC, Phoenix, and Portland because there are hardly any black people in those areas and they have the passive-aggressive hipster racism to a T in those areas. The rest of the cities I named because there are large black populations, but there are either really strained race relations in general and/or the black middle class communities are smaller and the cultural amenities many of them enjoy are few and far between.
Again, I am going to have to reiterate that you speak for no one but yourself.

The going has gotten tough for me plenty of times throughout my life, and there were several times where the person there to help me out was not black. Go spew your divisive, ignorant BS at someone else. I'm not here for it.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 07-08-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
The worst cities for middle class black people are small-to-medium southern metropolitan cities with very large and very poor populations.

Take here in Macon, for an example. It sucks when your city is over 60% black and still the clubs, bars, and lounges that cater to a more "cultured" (jazz, r&b, neo-soul, conscious hip hop) black crowd never last long because they don't get much business, yet there are a ton of ghetto nightclubs all over the place.

We just made national headlines on all the major hip-hop sites over the last 2 days. There was a show scheduled for the gangsta rapper "Lil Boosie" (not my type of crowd) but he didn't show up. People trashed the establishment and caused all kinds of damage. A few people were even injured. AllHipHop » Lil Boosie Misses Concert Date…Mayhem Ensues

It sucks when that type of crowd makes up 80-85% of the blacks in your city.

There was a videographer/promoter from here, along with a guy I went to high school with, who tried desperately to bring "cultured" black nightlife to Macon a few years go, but it failed miserably. The videographer/promoter finally gave up and moved to Atlanta. When you set a dress code of no athletic gear, baggy jeans, sagging, no baseball caps, there's not enough people left. Sad.

Here's a vid from a couple years ago, and it took the typical turn for them. They tried to make it more cultured than everything else around here for blacks 25-40. Eventually, they eased up on the dress code after crowds got thin, then it quickly turned into a "ghetto" club and is now no longer open.

Are there any areas in GA besides Atlanta, with the options you are looking for?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:13 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there any areas in GA besides Atlanta, with the options you are looking for?
Nope. Places like Macon, Augusta, Columbus are dominated mainly by the type of crowd that poster was speaking of. Savannah, while a nice city, is dominated by the White Southern upper class culture (the type that people seem to think Atlanta has for some odd reason, mint juleps and all) with a black lower class on the fringe.

While I do not want to disparage the rest of the State, outside the core of Metro Atlanta it might as well be Alabama or Mississippi with a minature version of New Orleans on the coast.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nope. Places like Macon, Augusta, Columbus are dominated mainly by the type of crowd that poster was speaking of. Savannah, while a nice city, is dominated by the White Southern upper class culture (the type that people seem to think Atlanta has for some odd reason, mint juleps and all) with a black lower class on the fringe.

While I do not want to disparage the rest of the State, outside the core of Metro Atlanta it might as well be Alabama or Mississippi with a minature version of New Orleans on the coast.
Augusta is definitely not mainly dominated by this type of crowd.. I don't know why some people from Atlanta love to generalize other cities in Georgia they don't know much about. Especially with ultra conservative Cobb, Forsyth, Cherokee, Fayette and plenty of black lower class in Fulton, Dekalb, and Clayton all being in metro Atlanta..

The smallest gap in employment between blacks and whites was in the Augusta, Ga., region, where 13.3% of blacks were jobless compared with 8.5% of whites.
Blacks fall further behind whites, Latinos in job market, report says - latimes

Augusta is 10x times smaller compared to Atlanta, but still has majority middle class black neighborhoods. The city even has a upper middle class neighborhood called Belair Estates which is majority black and some of the homes are over $500k. Here's a home over $400k built in 2005..
3933 Barrett Augusta GA 30909 BELAIR HILLS ESTATES Subdivision, Mulich Realty (Augusta GA Real Estate)

Comparing the cities in Georgia versus Mississippi is nowhere close to being valid. Augusta and it's suburbs are nowhere close to being as conservative or republican compared against metro Birmingham.

President Map - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com
Obama
Richmond-Augusta 66.5%
Jefferson-Birmingham 52.6%
Aiken-Augusta 36.3%
Columbia-Augusta 27.9%
Shelby-Birmingham 21.6%
St. Clair-Birmingham 16.5%

Romney
St Clair-Birmingham 82.6%
Shelby-Birmingham 77.3%
Columbia-Augusta 70.9%
Aiken-Augusta 62.3%
Jefferson-Birmingham 46.6%
Richmond-Augusta 32.7%

Old 07-10-2015, 02:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not from what I've noticed. Savannah and Augusta are a little bigger than Macon, so they might, but not from what I've saw when I was there.

This first vid is nearly 90% of spots for blacks around here. It's from the recent Boosie "no show" concert disaster.

This place downtown is OK though, at times. I mean, it's as close to decent as you're gonna get here.

That first vid is so "Macon" though.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-10-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 02:26 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta is definitely not mainly dominated by this type of crowd.. I don't know why some people from Atlanta love to generalize other cities in Georgia they don't know much about. Especially with ultra conservative Cobb, Forsyth, Cherokee, Fayette and plenty of black lower class in Fulton, Dekalb, and Clayton all being in metro Atlanta..

The smallest gap in employment between blacks and whites was in the Augusta, Ga., region, where 13.3% of blacks were jobless compared with 8.5% of whites.

Augusta is 10x times smaller compared to Atlanta, but still has majority middle class black neighborhoods. The city even has a upper middle class neighborhood called Belair Estates which is majority black and some of the homes are over $500k. Here's a home over $400k built in 2005..
3933 Barrett Augusta GA 30909 BELAIR HILLS ESTATES Subdivision, Mulich Realty (Augusta GA Real Estate)

Comparing the cities in Georgia versus Mississippi is nowhere close to being valid. Augusta and it's suburbs are nowhere close to being as conservative or republican compared against metro Birmingham.

Obama
Richmond-Augusta 66.5%
Aiken-Augusta 36.3%
Columbia-Augusta 27.9%
Shelby-Birmingham 21.6%

Romney
Shelby-Birmingham 77.3%
Columbia-Augusta 70.9%
Aiken-Augusta 62.3%
Richmond-Augusta 32.7%
Augusta, as well as Columbus, are somewhat helped here by the presence of large military installations. But in terms of having an upwardly-mobile, Black college-educated professional class in particular, you really only start to see those in appreciable numbers in select Southern metros of 1 million and over for the most part.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

Obama
Richmond-Augusta 66.5%
Aiken-Augusta 36.3%
Columbia-Augusta 27.9%
Shelby-Birmingham 21.6%

Romney
Shelby-Birmingham 77.3%
Columbia-Augusta 70.9%
Aiken-Augusta 62.3%
Richmond-Augusta 32.7%
My grandfather is from the Augusta area and I still have a few cousins that live there, so I've been there a lot. Yeah, no. Sure there are plenty of middle class black folks in Augusta, but that's about it. In terms of what the poster was talking about and I was referring to (high class Black nightlife/social life/events etc) Augusta doesn't have any of that as far as I can tell. Having been all over the state, I can tell you that Augusta is no different than Macon or Columbus in those terms.

Nice little jab at Atlanta in the beginning, especially when I wasn't saying anything disparaging about Augusta. It is what it is.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 PM

119 posts, read 147,121 times
Quote:
Black people in Southern California, especially the closer they are to Los Angeles would gladly beg to differ.

Maybe in Texas, but not in other parts of the country. Also, most native Hispanics/Mexicans in Texas are very socially conservative and more assimilated with whites than Black people are. I don't understand why so many Black Americans think that Latinos are automatically going to side with them or are their allies politically or socially. They're going to look out for themselves and have their best interests at heart like most other races. As usual, so many Black Americans are looking to align with other people who wouldn't give us the time of day if the tables were turned.

In New England, Boston/Hartford/Providence even NYC the vibe is a lot different. There are a few Latinos that try to be white. But for the most part Blacks and Latinos are united together. I think it comes from the Latino population up North is from Puerto Rico/DR where there is a lot of black heritage.

Mexicans seem to just be on some other agenda. Hence, there is a large division amongst Latinos when it comes to Mexicans. South American Latinos and Caribbean Latinos seem to look down upon Mexicans.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz44 View Post
In New England, Boston/Hartford/Providence even NYC the vibe is a lot different. There are a few Latinos that try to be white. But for the most part Blacks and Latinos are united together. I think it comes from the Latino population up North is from Puerto Rico/DR where there is a lot of black heritage.

Mexicans seem to just be on some other agenda. Hence, there is a large division amongst Latinos when it comes to Mexicans. South American Latinos and Caribbean Latinos seem to look down upon Mexicans.
I agree that the type of Hispanics/Latinos makes a difference in regard to the Northeast and even parts of the Midwest like NE Ohio, because they tend to be from the Caribbean or South America and have African heritage or identify as Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City