Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better of the two?
Greater Washington DC-Baltimore 27 42.86%
Greater Golden Horseshoe (Toronto and environs) 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times

Advertisements

Golden Horseshoe is better as a region because its one continuous area. Baltimore and DC are two separate metros, so they're not cohesive as they would be if they were one large metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Golden Horseshoe is better as a region because its one continuous area. Baltimore and DC are two separate metros, so they're not cohesive as they would be if they were one large metro.
This Is a pretty good point but the Golden Horseshoe is pretty expansive and filled with oooodles of rural green areas and not that contiguous. There's a lot of protected green areas in the Golden Horseshoe and it has some of the most arable land in Canada. A better example would be The Greater Toronto/Hamilton urban area which is a far more better 'urban' representation in terms of a large contiguous urbanized area.. Compared to the GTA's 7 million people, there is no comparable area of D.C/BWI metroplex that would match its contiguous urbanized density both in population and in built form.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:31 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think better air connections may be debateable - particularly if you are speaking to International air connectivity (obviously DC-Baltimore are more connected to the U.S as Pearson and other airports in the Golden Horseshoe are in Canada).

Here is a list of airlines that fly out of Pearson which connects all six inhabited continents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toront...tional_Airport

Dulles (IAD) doesn't look to be as internationally connected as Pearson and BWI is more a domestic airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...tional_Airport
Yea, it's a tough argument since connectivity can mean so many things.

Pearson is the single better hub (38 million passengers a year) than any of the three major DC airports (22, 21, and 20 million passengers) even though the three major DC/Baltimore airports combined have a higher number of routes and a much, much higher total passenger count. There are smaller airports in both areas, but their passenger counts are negligible in comparison to these four airports.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-09-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Pearson is the single better hub (38 million passengers a year) than any of the three major DC airports (22, 21, and 20 million passengers) even though the three major DC/Baltimore airports combined have a higher number of routes and a much, much higher total passenger count. There are smaller airports in both areas, but their passenger counts are negligible in comparison to these four airports.
Well the higher passenger count isn't really a surprise because D.C is in a much larger nation population wise. Toronto is really the only large urban area in Canada - Montreal is really a distant second and Is only 4 million - 3rd is Vancouver with a paltry 2.5 million. In terms of domestic connectivity within a nation i'd give it to Washington/BWI metroplex - In terms of International connectivity spanning the globe - i'd say Pearson alone is more Internationally connected than all 3 of the airports you citied in D.C/Baltimore combined.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,602 times
Quote:

Agreed. This is why I chose DC/Baltimore.
YYZ alone is more connected than any single DC/Baltimore area airport. But the 3 DC/Baltimore area airports together are overall better connected to the rest of the world than YYZ and other Toronto area airports.

Quote:
I would also agree with you about Festivals/events.. Toronto is bursting at the seams with festivals in the summer. TIFF is also a very high profile international event and is probably the most important film festival in the world or at least on par with Cannes.

Sports could go either way - its not like either are lacking but If I had to choose i'd give the nod to Washington/BWI on the whole.. I would definitely give Museums and historical attractions to Washington DC/Baltimore Metroplex area (something not mentioned so far but should be). For those in the know, the Golden Horseshoe has some impressive museum cred - including a new Museum dedicated to Islamic arts and culture which is the only of its kind in N.A but on the whole pales in comparison to the collections in IAD/BWI metroplex which I think may be one of the top 5 museum areas in the world.
Yeah they could definitely go either way. Professionally, Toronto/Hamilton area has more championships in pro sports together over DC/Baltimore (if we count CFL). I guess it depends on the argument being made. Pro sports, world sporting events, college level, attendance records, sporting standings, stadiums/arenas, etc...there is a lot to look at. But I agree it could go either way depending on how you look this topic for both areas.

DC/Baltimore area definitely has the overall better more recognized museums for obvious reasons. Toronto does well in this department, but DC is well, DC.

What about public transportation? Golden Horsehoe or DC/Baltimore?

Old 07-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Agreed. This is why I chose DC/Baltimore.
YYZ alone is more connected than any single DC/Baltimore area airport. But the 3 DC/Baltimore area airports together are overall better connected to the rest of the world than YYZ and other Toronto area airports.
No they are not.. They are better connected domestically within the United States and as I explained earlier, Toronto can't really connect to much domestically in Canada when 1/4 of the population of the entire nation is within the Horseshoe lol - To put that into perspective in terms of relative sizes - D.C/BWI urban area would have to be more than two times larger than Tokyo metro to contain 1/4 of the U.S population.... Canada is just too sparsely populated for any city to be extraordinarily well connected domestically and Toronto urban area is the only 'big' city in Canada and its not even a megacity yet - though it will be Canada's first megacity in about 25 years. Anyway, Internationally Pearson is more globally connected than all 3 of D.C/BWI airports.. Dulles is the only real International airport in the region and it is clearly less globally connected than Pearson

Dulles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Dulles_International_Airport

Pearson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Pearson_International_Airport

Scroll down each link and look at number of Carriers are where each of those airlines connect to globally.

Quote:

What about public transportation? Golden Horsehoe or DC/Baltimore?
I'll give it to the Horseshoe - much more extensive overall P.T both within its urban areas and regionally.. Higher ridership numbers easily. Than again, Toronto CMA and even the GTA is much more dense than anywhere in the D.C/BWI area so stands to reason ridership will be significantly higher.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-09-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 05:52 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Well the higher passenger count isn't really a surprise because D.C is in a much larger nation population wise. Toronto is really the only large urban area in Canada - Montreal is really a distant second and Is only 4 million - 3rd is Vancouver with a paltry 2.5 million. In terms of domestic connectivity within a nation i'd give it to Washington/BWI metroplex - In terms of International connectivity spanning the globe - i'd say Pearson alone is more Internationally connected than all 3 of the airports you citied in D.C/Baltimore combined.
Well, internationally doesn't make as much sense to me--the US is much, much more populous, that's just how it is. Sure, flights from Pearson to US cities are international and, of course, there are a lot more Canada to US routes than there are US to Canada. I believe that might even be true for Pearson even though it's by far Canada's largest airline hub--if it's not true, then at least it's pretty close.

I think it makes more sense to just look at how many routes are served and passenger volume as a large part of the equation. I believe as a whole, the DC/Baltimore ones serves about the same for the Americas except for the Caribbean and serves more of Africa and the Middle East. However, DC/Baltimore does not serve South Asia, but Toronto does. The rest of the globe is about on parity. However, the sheer volume of people, not just the destination pairs, is well in favor of DC/Baltimore than it is to Toronto. Which is why I think it's sort of a tough argument as it can go in a lot of directions.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Well, internationally doesn't make as much sense to me--the US is much more populous, that's just how it is. Sure, flights from Pearson to US cities are international and, of course, there are a lot more Canada to US routes than there are US to Canada. I believe that might even be true for Pearson even though it's by far Canada's largest airline hub--if it's not true, then at least it's pretty close.

I think it makes more sense to just look at how many routes are served. I believe as a whole, the DC/Baltimore ones serve a lot more North America except for the Caribbean and serves more of Africa and the Middle East than Pearsons does. However, DC/Baltimore does not serve South Asia, but Toronto does.
You might want to take a look at non flag Carriers in all airports in the D.C/BWI area vs Pearson and than compare the route network between Air Canada and United on international routes in both areas and let's not fool ourselves - for global links Pearson and Dulles are the players in each of these regions.. I think you'll find the answer will point to where i'm saying it'll point to when it comes to global connectivity... I've already ceded domestic connectivity to D.C/BWI area airports.

United mainline operation at Dulles

Amsterdam, Aruba, Bahrain, Beijing–Capital, Boston, Brussels, Cancún, Chicago–O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Dubai‑International, Dublin, Frankfurt, Geneva, Grand Cayman, Guatemala City, Honolulu, Houston–Intercontinental, Kuwait, Las Vegas, London–Heathrow, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Munich, New Orleans, Orlando, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Phoenix, Portland (OR), Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San José de Costa Rica, San Juan, São Paulo–Guarulhos, Seattle/Tacoma, Singapore, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Tampa, Tokyo–Narita, Zürich
Seasonal: Austin, Atlanta, Hartford, Hayden/Steamboat Springs, Jackson Hole, Madrid, Manchester (UK), Montego Bay, Punta Cana, Rome–Fiumicino, San José del Cabo, Vancouver

Air Canada mainline operation Pearson

Amsterdam, Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Beijing–Capital, Bermuda, Bogotá, Boston, Buenos Aires–Ezeiza, Calgary, Chicago–O'Hare, Copenhagen, Deer Lake, Delhi (resumes November 1, 2015),[SIZE=2][56][/SIZE] Denver, Dubai-International (begins November 3, 2015),[SIZE=2][57][/SIZE] Edmonton, Fort Lauderdale, Fort McMurray, Fort Myers, Frankfurt, Geneva, Grand Cayman, Halifax, Havana, Hong Kong, Istanbul–Atatürk, London–Heathrow, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, Montréal–Trudeau, Munich, New York–LaGuardia, Newark, Ottawa, Panama City, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Providenciales, Regina, Rio de Janeiro–Galeão, Rome–Fiumicino, St. John's (NL), Saint Lucia–Hewanorra, San Francisco, Santiago de Chile, São Paulo–Guarulhos, Sarasota, Saskatoon, Seattle/Tacoma, Shanghai–Pudong, Sydney (Australia), Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion, Tokyo–Haneda, Vancouver, Victoria, Winnipeg, Zürich
Seasonal: Cozumel, Eagle/Vail, Gander, George Town/Exuma, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Madrid, Milan–Malpensa, Puerto Vallarta, San Juan, Tokyo–Narita, West Palm Beach

Than delve into non U.S Canadian Carriers at Pearson vs the 3 in DC/BWI...

Reagan is all domestic from what I can see and BWI is mainly domestic with very limited International connectivity.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-09-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 05:59 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,602 times
Quote:
No they are not.. They are better connected domestically within the United States and as I explained earlier, Toronto can't really connect to much domestically in Canada when 1/4 of the population of the entire nation is within the Horseshoe lol - .. Internationally Pearson is more globally connected than all 3 of D.C/BWI airports.. Dulles is the only real International airport in the region and it is clearly less globally connected than Pearson

Dulles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Dulles_International_Airport

Pearson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Pearson_International_Airport

Scroll down each link and look at number of Carriers are where each of those airlines connect to globally.

I'll give it to the Horseshoe - much more extensive overall P.T both within its urban areas and regionally.. Higher ridership numbers easily. Than again, Toronto CMA and even the GTA is much more dense than anywhere in the D.C/BWI area so stands to reason ridership will be significantly higher.
Really? I didnt know that. I know YYZ and JFK are the only two airports to connect to each habitable continent (I think LAX is now apart of this unique group as well) and they both have other interesting facts regarding international connectivity and the number of worldwide connections.
For some reason I assumed the DC area would be "better" connected due to the number of airports in the area, it being the capital of U.S., and the combined traffic between the 3 airports. I guess not...

I agree with the public transit comment for the Golden Horseshoe over the DC/Baltimore area.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
Quote:
Really? I didnt know that. I know YYZ and JFK are the only two airports to connect to each habitable continent (I think LAX is now apart of this unique group as well) and they both have other interesting facts regarding international connectivity and the number of worldwide connections.
For some reason I assumed the DC area would be "better" connected due to the number of airports in the area, it being the capital of U.S., and the combined traffic between the 3 airports. I guess not...
Incorrect.

In the United States there is only one city that goes to all 6 (six) of the inhabitable continents in the world and that is Houston (with the new arrival of Air New Zealand and gaining entrance into Oceania, beginning December 15th).

New York tops out at 5 (no Oceania), Los Angeles tops out at 5 as well (no Africa), which is tied with Washington D.C. (no Oceania), Dallas/Fort Worth (no Africa), Atlanta (no Oceania), Boston, Chicago. There are only 5-7 cities worldwide that have service to all 6 inhabitable continents on Earth and the only two in all of the Western Hemisphere are both in North America, Toronto and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City