Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
There's a general school of thought that New York has the best of everything, that's why. And that's not really true. Sure, with it being (by far) the largest city, is can't be matched in quantity for most things. But much (not all, but much)of what can be found in New York can also be found in other major cities, at lesser quantity, yet still plentiful. I tend to tune out the convos when someone tries to end a convo by saying "duh, New York"....

Then there's also the fact that New York is extremely expensive, as someone said earlier. But New York isn't gonna lose a cd poll, because in here, New York runs everything...
No, not just in here. In real life too, NYC really does run everything. Well, almost lol. Let me know how Kansas City's Colombian dance scene is!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
What 4 or 5 cities are vying to be America's #1? NYC is far and away the most impressive city in this country. No other city comes close so there are no other cities vying to be number 1. That's ridiculous unless you believe SF is in NYC's tier? LA and Chicago certainly aren't.

Hell, Barcelona is better than any city in America not named NYC.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
^^^Point was more that NYC is basically a true global city, for which there are only a few at that level around the world. There are 4-5 cities vying to be AMERICA'S #1, I guess poorly phrased, after NYC (which "belongs to the world"), etc etc.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
NYC's so far winning the race to the bottom line, but the Bay Area might just catch up!

Tech Company To Replace 70 Artists in Mission | Broke-Ass Stuart's Goddamn Website

The tragedy of InnerMission | 48 hills

Let's do it, gentrymen!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 PM

616 posts, read 645,116 times
Lots of cool places but nothing changes a person as much as the Big Apple

Nothing

Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
I hate to say it but Nyc hasn't been the number 1 u.s city since 9/11.

I would give that title to L.A or D.c in the real world, Ive said it plenty of times before & i say it with respect but outside of Manhattan N.y is just another city .

Each Borough on their own is a more fair comparison due to N.y being a city combined of 5 counties or boroughs.

Ill put Chicago vs Brooklyn
San Francisco vs Manhattan
Philadelphia vs Queens
Miami vs Bronx
Atlanta vs Staten island

See how different things look on an even scale .

Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Lots of cool places but nothing changes a person as much as the Big Apple

Nothing
Nah, I think Darfur had that covered for a while. Let's try to keep the grandstanding reasonable.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
I hate to say it but Nyc hasn't been the number 1 u.s city since 9/11.

I would give that title to L.A or D.c in the real world, Ive said it plenty of times before & i say it with respect but outside of Manhattan N.y is just another city .

Each Borough on their own is a more fair comparison due to N.y being a city combined of 5 counties or boroughs.

Ill put Chicago vs Brooklyn
San Francisco vs Manhattan
Philadelphia vs Queens
Miami vs Bronx
Atlanta vs Staten island

See how different things look on an even scale .
I think you've said this before, and I believe it was pretty much a unanimous dismissal of your underlying logic. It still seems pretty off, but would you care to explain the rationale behind this?

And have you considered putting things on an even more even scale? Would you like to just split things into census districts and go one by one there?

Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, not just in here. In real life too, NYC really does run everything. Well, almost lol. Let me know how Kansas City's Colombian dance scene is!!
Lol but Kansas City isn't a "major" city, so it isn't what I was referencing, nor is it where I'd expect there to be any measurable amount of foreign culture prevalent...

I agree NY is easily number one city in America, and it's not close, because the variety of lifestyle and options for everyday life are sooo varied and so much more plentiful than anywhere else. I'm not one of those guys^^^^^^. Lmao....my point is that NY doesn't run the table in "best of" offerings, and that while certainly not at the degree of NY, most MAJOR cities are very diverse and offer these 'many'--again, not all--of these same lifestyles and offerings, at less quantity but also at cheaper rates...

NY is either number one or near the top in nearly every category. But off the top of my head, areas where New York doesn't sweep the board/where it is debatable that another American city is near the top:
-nightlife. More of all kinds in NY, but there are a handful of cities that can match the per capita of NY nightlife, and have diverse nightlife options. And when we break it down to specific forms of nightlife, there are a few cities that arguably best NY for specific types.
-political influence. NY is certainly not the only city with a heavy hand in politics.
-outdoor lifestyle. Be it marine, hiking, whatever, there are definitely cities that can compete with New York in this regard.
-education. Clearly NY has some of the best schools in the nation, at primary, community/junior college, or university, at medical, etc. but there are definitely cities that can compete here.

And of course, there is no way to quantify happiness. While there have been millions upon millions who have succeeded in NY, there are millions who haven't, and millions looking for a way out. Everybody isn't happy there, just like I'm sure everyone isn't happy in Paris. Some people are "better" in New York, some people are "better", thus more happy, elsewhere...

Old 07-31-2015, 05:41 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Oycrumbler,Wasnt dismissed but the mods got involved for me & some poster from Dallas lol

Anyway my reasons are simple, most don't understand how N.y is ran & function.From the outside most think Manhattan is a city full of 8 million people, Manhattan is very unique but nowhere near that number & nowhere as big....Someone on here once said that N.y combined it's counties to compete with London as a world city because Manhattan alone couldn't do it....If true that's a smart power move but still unfair to be 1 city of combined counties. If Chicago or any other city did the same we would see the same results.So it's basically a bit of political power moves that was made in N.y to seem greater than it really was.

Overall though Manhattan on it's own in my opinion is still a top 3 city in the u.s but not a top 3 world city alone .

We can even look up Manhattan economy compared to London, Chicago or Los Angeles for a better understanding.

Brooklyn is basically it's own city,even has a Downtown area with it's own sports team & a similar population of Chicago. That's why I break each borough up & compare em as single cities.

Now this offended many from N.y & a few have stuck to it being government census instead of trying to see what my logic was,Its like an inferior complex or fear that something out there can challenge or surpass N.y but i understand that mentality is warranted from having such great history & being one of the oldest American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City