Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 AM

38 posts, read 43,873 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be relocating from Metro Detroit to one of my companies plants, either Greensburg, IN or Hamilton, OH. I was hoping to get insight on the two cities, where to live, job market, things to do, cost of living, people type, etc.

I'm 23 just out if college, engaged. I have an active lifestyle(gym, hiking, backpacking, water sports, fishing). I like to be able to go out to a nightlife but still be able to go home to quiet. I don't like living in a house that's on top of my neighbors, I like some space. I tend to do most of my shopping on the weekends, but like the fact that I have a target/meijer 5-10min away. I would like a place with decent amount of resturants... I don't want rural areas, but I also don't want to be straight downtown. For instances I go downtown Detroit to sporting events/concerts/restaurants but I like to be able to go home after. I live about 20-30 min away. From Downtown Detroit. If anyone could compare cities from Michigan to cities near Indy/Cincy, it would be much appreciated.

Like I said I am engaged so my fiancee will be looking for a job when we move. She's currently in collection for a logistics company. She's about to be done with school next year, with her business degree. Which of the two is the better place to find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,644,511 times
Hamilton, Ohio has more of what you are looking for.

Greensburg is more rural.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmdavila View Post
Hello All,

I will be relocating from Metro Detroit to one of my companies plants, either Greensburg, IN or Hamilton, OH. I was hoping to get insight on the two cities, where to live, job market, things to do, cost of living, people type, etc.

I'm 23 just out if college, engaged. I have an active lifestyle(gym, hiking, backpacking, water sports, fishing). I like to be able to go out to a nightlife but still be able to go home to quiet. I don't like living in a house that's on top of my neighbors, I like some space. I tend to do most of my shopping on the weekends, but like the fact that I have a target/meijer 5-10min away. I would like a place with decent amount of resturants... I don't want rural areas, but I also don't want to be straight downtown. For instances I go downtown Detroit to sporting events/concerts/restaurants but I like to be able to go home after. I live about 20-30 min away. From Downtown Detroit. If anyone could compare cities from Michigan to cities near Indy/Cincy, it would be much appreciated.

Like I said I am engaged so my fiancee will be looking for a job when we move. She's currently in collection for a logistics company. She's about to be done with school next year, with her business degree. Which of the two is the better place to find a job.
Greater Cincinnati has a plethora of urban/suburban neighborhoods that fit your needs, but are not directly downtown. Cincinnati is a sports town, if that means anything to you. Many of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown have their own unique vibe with several local businesses, bars, shopping centers, coffee shops, art centers, etc. Cincinnati is a large metro that manages to feel like a small town/village type area, which is a positive IMO.

Hyde Park Square

The Village

The Boulevard Apartments for rent in Cincinnati, OH 45209

http://www.oakley-station.com/asp/index.asp

Over-The-Rhine | 3CDC

5 Great Neighborhoods in Cincinnati | Neighborhoods, Communities, and Attractions in U.S. Cities | GAC

Home

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM

38 posts, read 43,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Greater Cincinnati has a plethora of urban/suburban neighborhoods that fit your needs, but are not directly downtown. Cincinnati is a sports town, if that means anything to you. Many of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown have their own unique vibe with several local businesses, bars, shopping centers, coffee shops, art centers, etc. Cincinnati is a large metro that manages to feel like a small town/village type area, which is a positive IMO.
What are those vibes per area? (Mt. Washington, Mt Lookout, Hyde park, Oakley, etc)

Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Mt. Washington: A peaceful neighborhood with ranch homes, older crowd, and close to Interstate 275. It is suburban in character, but cheaper than the others, especially Hyde Park and Over-the-Rhine

Mt. Lookout: A hipster/Gay enclave of sorts. It's artsy and village like without the pretentiousness of Hyde Park.

Hyde Park: Old money on one side of the train tracks blended low income residents on the other side. This makes for an interesting mix of socio-economic classes. Norwood and Oakley border Hyde Park. Hyde Park is a very desirable address because the diverse mix of housing, shops, boutiques and incomes.

Oakley: A less expensive more commercial version of Hyde Park. Oakley has become an attractive place for young professionals and young families. There are big boxes and several new apartments and residential developments underway.

Norwood: A largely commercial area with Rookwood Pavillion as well as urban housing. Largely industrial, Norwood has seen several manufacturing businesses close their doors. However, not as vibrant as the other areas, Norwood offers a real regular neighborhood vibe.

Over-the-Rhine: Used to be a run down crime ridden enclave, but because of it's proximity to downtown and overwhelming investment by the City of Cincinnati, the neighborhood is a hot market. New condos, hotels, restaurants, boutiques, are now in the place of historic once forgotten buildings. The transformation, thus far has been nothing short or remarkable. Be warned, the neighborhood still has a long way to go to clean up the crime and poverty still present in some parts.

Northern Kentucky: Don't overlook Covington, Florence, Newport, and Erlanger. Although in Kentucky, these areas are as much a part of Cincinnati as the other neighborhoods mentioned. Covington has several historic areas as well as a thriving commercial district. The same goes for Newport. If you can deal with the southern overtones, Northern Kentucky is a bargain.

Kenwood/Indian Hills: New money, high traffic, suburban oasis

West Chester: See above ^

I've left out many other areas that hopefully others can elaborate on. Cincinnati is a first class city with many attractions, especially if you love art museums/theater/plays/sporting events. The architecture is heavily German and Appalachian (although Cincinnati is not located in Appalachia)influenced, with many Greek, Victorian, Queen Anne, and French styles included. Because the city is close to the South, you'll see a few New South inspired condos, hotels and commercial developments that you won't find in other Midwestern cities (you'll see...they look a bit out of place, more or less against the historic backdrop), There are several institutions of higher learning, and Cincinnati is close to other large cities for weekend getaways such as Louisville, Columbus, Indianapolis, and to a lesser extent Lexington and Dayton if you'd like to explore those areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City