Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best Chinatown?
Boston 10 17.54%
Chicago 8 14.04%
Houston 5 8.77%
Montreal 3 5.26%
Oakland 10 17.54%
Philadelphia 11 19.30%
Seattle 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2015, 08:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
Why is Seattle not getting enough love? No way Boston or Philadephia should be ranked higher. Seattle has a top 5 Chinatown in America.
You could make an argument that Seattle is last on the list above. Very nice city but the ID/Chinatown was very underwhelming when I visited. I was expecting alot more.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 AM

103 posts, read 168,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You could make an argument that Seattle is last on the list above. Very nice city but the ID/Chinatown was very underwhelming when I visited. I was expecting alot more.
But Boston and Philadelphia Chinatown better? I highly doubt that. I've been to all three and Imo they are not better than Seattle's chinatown. There is a reason why USA today rated Seattle's chinatown better than those two. I am not saying Seattle's chinatown is the best because it's far from that and imho San Francisco and Vancouver has a better chinatown but to put Boston and Philly ahead of Seattle and Chicago is a joke.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
But Boston and Chinatown better? I highly doubt that. I've been to all three and Imo they are not better than Seattle's chinatown.
Exactly! Seattle got my vote given the other options. I can't image Boston, Philly or Houston and Chinatown being better

MSR

Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
I was in Philly this weekend for the first time in awhile. I had fresh eyes - and yes, went to Chinatown. The actual business part of Philadelphia's Chinatown is kind of similar to the old Chinatown part of Chicago's. Chicago's Chinatown overall is definitely bigger (contrary to what someone in Philly told me - it is not the #3 largest Chinatown in the US) and I'd give Chicago an edge, but it's somewhat close in and of itself. However, Philly has an advantage because it's basically next to downtown and very easy to get to if you're there.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:47 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I don't think Seattle is known at all for having a Chinatown. When I've been, it's been called the International District, and I recall it being fairly Vietnamese, not so much Chinese.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I don't think Seattle is known at all for having a Chinatown. When I've been, it's been called the International District, and I recall it being fairly Vietnamese, not so much Chinese.
The cool thing about Seattle's International District is that it's not just a Chinatown, there's also an old Japantown with a few remaining businesses(some of the oldest Japanese stores and restaurants on the West Coast) and a mix of Chinese, Vietnamese and other Asian groups(Cambodian and Korean restaurants) in the rest of the area--plus a big Japanese grocery Uwajimaya (with other Asian foods available and a great food court). So coming from a half-Chinese guy from Vancouver, I actually like that it's not just a Chinatown, while it is fairly small.

I sort of find the fixation on old Chinatowns sort of interesting though--I guess it's sort of an curious remnant of a certain time in many North American cities(and also segregation), but I find it interesting when non-Chinese find a Chinatown not authentic enough for them because there's Vietnamese businesses in it(not calling you out, just something I've heard on these Chinatown threads a few times). But the official Chinatown designations were often for the likes of preserving the neighborhoods for tourism as it is(only the later immigration since the 1960s really brought much back to the bigger old Chinatowns). In other ethnic neighborhoods, groups just moved on and the next group moved in and that was that.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
I would say, yes, Boston and Philly both have slightly bigger/better Chinatowns than that of Seattle.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM

Yes, that's nice. But the only three officially recognized Japantowns left in the US are Little Tokyo in LA, Japantown in SF, and Japantown in San Jose. The ones in Tokyo and SF being the largest, and are about as "Japan'ey" (if that's a word) as Chinatown in SF and Manhattan are Chinese-ey. In other words, they are still quite Japanese, and are meant to look and feel Japanese, and you know you are in a Japanese neighborhood when you're there...you won't find Vietnamese or Chinese restaurants in Japantown in SF, for instance, and you will find a lot of Japanese people still living there, Japanese architecture, Japanese businesses, Japanese festivals (like the Cherry Blossom festival), etc etc.

There is really only one Korean neighborhood that matters from the same perspective - Koreatown in LA. Though there is a Korean area in Manhattan too, and well known suburban Korean areas in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, DC, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japantown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreatown

As much as I love to love on Seattle for being a great city, one of my favorite in the US, these ethnic enclaves, even Asian ones, aren't its strong suit. It's too "new". Even though there are a lot of Asians, you don't get the same [Asian] enclaves you do in the Bay Area or LA or New York City.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Yes, that's nice. But the only three officially recognized Japantowns left in the US are Little Tokyo in LA, Japantown in SF, and Japantown in San Jose. The ones in Tokyo and SF being the largest, and are about as "Japan'ey" (if that's a word) as Chinatown in SF and Manhattan are Chinese-ey. In other words, they are still quite Japanese, and are meant to look and feel Japanese, and you know you are in a Japanese neighborhood when you're there...you won't find Vietnamese or Chinese restaurants in Japantown in SF, for instance, and you will find a lot of Japanese people still living there, Japanese architecture, Japanese businesses, Japanese festivals (like the Cherry Blossom festival), etc etc.

There is really only one Korean neighborhood that matters from the same perspective - Koreatown in LA. Though there is a Korean area in Manhattan too, and well known suburban Korean areas in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, DC, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japantown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreatown

As much as I love to love on Seattle for being a great city, one of my favorite in the US, these ethnic enclaves, even Asian ones, aren't its strong suit. It's too "new". Even though there are a lot of Asians, you don't get the same [Asian] enclaves you do in the Bay Area or LA or New York City.
Do you look at all ethnic enclaves as a competition? I just said the ID had some nice aspects to it. San Francisco Japantown is nice too, but it's basically a touristy hub as well(there were really no real residential Japantowns after the internment era of World War II, everyone moved further out).

I grew up Chinese in Vancouver and Richmond, BC, so I know plenty about what it's like to live in a truly Asian area, but I don't need to judge other places for not being "Asian" enough.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:10 PM

Considering the goal of 99% of these threads is which is biggest/best/most notable/most..., yes, this is a thread about which Chinatown is bigger/better than the others posed in the OP. I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape when people do get competitive about it (a thread asks which is bigger/better, someone says x is better, then people call said person a booster...weird dialogues continue to go on, and no I know you're not calling me a booster, but that's what happens all too frequently).

But truth be told, I wasn't trying to be all competitive, but Seattle's was brought up, and I, along with several other posters, mentioned that we found it underwhelming. That notion perfectly suits this thread. A small Chinatown that's kind of Chinese, kind of Vietnamese, kind of Korean, etc is not going to compete well with other Chinatowns that are larger and more Chinese, look more Chinese, and function more like Chinese neighborhoods. Smaller/more mixed might be more pleasant to you and others, but if we're talking about what the largest/best Chinatowns are, then that's not going to be a trait that gets a lot of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City