Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most fangirls?
New York City 12 10.81%
San Francisco 32 28.83%
Atlanta 17 15.32%
Denver 1 0.90%
DC 2 1.80%
Seattle 14 12.61%
Chicago 5 4.50%
Austin 1 0.90%
Houston 4 3.60%
Minneapolis 4 3.60%
Los Angeles 8 7.21%
Portland, OR 0 0%
Boston 1 0.90%
Philadelphia 10 9.01%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:32 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,646,300 times

Advertisements

Oh, and forgot to mention Philadelphia. Not sure if it's an inferiority complex, but for a while at least it seemed there were no less than 6-8 Philly posters overly defending and boosting that city, creating threads, etc etc. It's calmed down for a few months now. All these cities definitely go through phases.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
DC has at least as many fangirls as San Francisco on these forums. San Francisco really only has 2-3 super fangirls while many of its posters are actually reasonable (and by the way, merely mentioning something positive about a city you live or have lived in, or refuting some argument against the place isn't necessarily "fangirl" behavior - generally it can be and is pretty rational).

What happens, though, is that dozens of new polls and threads are created a month that pull San Francisco in as a main topic of interest, and almost none of these (if not none of these altogether) are actually created by posters from San Francisco. Combine that with the city's stature, right now, in media/business, as well as the fact that it is a beloved city that has been visited by so many people (that's not fangirl talk, judging from how discussed the city is and how well it polls, this is reality), and it probably gives way more of an impression of being talked about by "fangirls" than it actually is.

General problem on City-Data is that most posters are young, not really as well traveled as they'd like to think, and cannot see the forest from the trees. Perception, in other words, is often clouded.

On a per capita basis, the city "loved" and discussed the absolute least relative to how great it is (in any which way you want to look at it) is probably actually New York. The most hated city might actually be Los Angeles (not Atlanta or Dallas or Phoenix, the latter of which is mentioned pretty rarely on these forums despite being one of the largest cities/metros in America).
I never said mentioning something positive about a city qualified for someone to be a fangirl. People can be positive about a city but not end up as a fangirl. People who are not a fangirl can see that no city is perfect and admit that the city has wrongs in some area, and are reasonable to criticism of said city. If fangirls are proven wrong for whatever reason, they may be in denial afterwards.

Think of teenage girls and celebrities. You have heard of Beliebers, right? They think Justin Bieber is like a god by the way the treat him and that no other singer compares or tops him in anyway. This is what I mean, but the same behavior applied to cities. One can be a Justin Bieber fan without being crazy about him.

In real-life NYC would easily win this, and LA second I think, but I am applying this just to what is seen on the forums. You can be a fangirl of a city without living there, though I would say most fangirls do.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Quote:
Oh, and forgot to mention Philadelphia. Not sure if it's an inferiority complex, but for a while at least it seemed there were no less than 6-8 Philly posters overly defending and boosting that city, creating threads, etc etc. It's calmed down for a few months now. All these cities definitely go through phases.
I would agree though that there are trends. Austin used to be big for a while but I don't see it as much anymore.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,108,493 times
Atlanta, Houston, San Francisco, Seattle. Nashville is getting there...

Old 08-11-2015, 03:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,931,297 times
Philly and San Francisco.

Hard to believe that someone picked Minneapolis, though..

Old 08-11-2015, 03:02 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,052,732 times
Quote:
The philadelphians are on their end of summer vacations, they'll be back. So feel free to creep, they'll love nothing more than to put those needed back in their place

Old 08-11-2015, 03:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,931,297 times
Quote:
Very true. The old PBS ( Philly Booster Squad). They have calmed down a bit..

Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,222,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Atlanta, Denver, Miami have the biggest homers on this board...
I can see ATL and MIA having some of the most on C-D, but I don't know about Denver, unless I haven't been paying attention that is...

Old 08-11-2015, 03:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,222,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The New Yorkers are actually pretty chill on here. But the San Francisco praise has gotten out of control recently, to unrealistic, unexpected proportions. And everybody goes crazy for Austin, Seattle, New Orleans. It's tiring seeing all that drooling on screen sometimes...

On the flip side, I guess August is "bash on LA month", since Chicago had July. And people never fail this sneak a diss on DC when they get a chance...
This, especially the more I think about it (Idk about NO though). Maybe I should've changed my vote (it was NYC). Your entire second paragraph is right on the money too.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,477,499 times
I have not noticed NYC OP, I think NYC citizens know their city is great and don't brag as much as other cities like LA, SF and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City