Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:54 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,306,588 times

Advertisements

Based on cities I've been to - Honolulu, Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,194,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You straight-up have no clue what you're talking about.

The Wisconsin team that beat Kentucky was probably the most talented team in Wisconsin history. The best 2 players were drafted in the first round this year. Their ceilings? Average starter/spark off the bench. Kentucky's team may produce 3-4 consistent NBA starters, but not for a few years. Every NBA team has more NBA-quality players at this very moment (obviously), and we're talking players who've improved over the years in terms of skills and adult musculature. There are a handful of kids who can go from college and be productive right away, but how many are top 10 players the minute they walk onto an NBA court? I'm struggling to think of any. Even the greatest had a lot of work to do when you look at advanced stats and compare where they were to where they ended up.

A 19 year old draftee is a stick next to the men in the NBA. This is Physiology 101. Any pro team would out-muscle that Kentucky squad - it would be embarassing. I'll bet they'd lose by 50+ if the game were serious. The skill level of an NBA team is far-advanced from any college team. There are height/weight differences. There's the fact that every NBA team has 12 NBA players, and even the best college teams only have a few. Get real, and ignore that ridiculous Kentucky hype - a bunch of 3* white farmboys took them to the woodshed.
SMU Mustangs coach Larry Brown says Kentucky Wildcats are good enough to be an NBA playoff team

Agree to disagree. Your Badgers could've beat the Carmelo less Knicks, as well. Size is important, yes, but small ball works wonders, too.Golden State wasn't effective against Cleveland until they went small. Furthermore, college kids aren't exactly small these days. Again, this isn't NCAA to NFL. Physicality, while important, isn't this huge gap.

Look, I probably shouldn't have said demolish--I got caught up in the moment. Admittedly, that's complete hyperbole. But you'd have to be very cynical to not believe "the greatest " college team ever, much less an underachieving Kentucky squad, couldn't beat a 15 win NBA team. Not assuredly, of course, but I'd give 50/50 odds.

Back to the thread, I don't think Hampton Roads is a great choice. Too close to D.C. given its population/influence, and too transient. Having been one myself, that metro literally revolves around the military. Any team there would deal with more opposing fans in their own ballpark/arena than new converts.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,429,839 times
Vegas
Austin
Birmingham
Louisville

These cities are also great for anything sports related too btw. I think the Women's Soccer team is playing Australia in Bham next month.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,545,469 times
Larry Brown is now a college coach. He is known to hype anything he's involved in. He also said this before Notre Dame almost beat them and the Badgers did beat them. Looks silly now, and I'll bet he regrets making that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Agree to disagree. Your Badgers could've beat the Carmelo less Knicks, as well.
Any NBA team would have beat the Badgers by 40+, and I'm saying this as a rabid fan. Frank Kaminsky was the center, and in the NBA he's considered too weak to be a 5 - he'll be a stretch 4, which is actually like a slight 4 (power forward). Dekker was our power forward, but he's going to play a 3 in the NBA. Bronson Keonig isn't ready to guard an NBA point guard yet, if ever. There was only one valid guy (Dukan, who signed with an NBA team as a free agent) that could come off the bench and defend an NBA player, giving the Badgers 6 total players that could go, vs 12 on an NBA squad. A healthy Traevon would have been able to log a few minutes, too, but was injured most of the season.

Regardless, it's silly every single time someone says it, and I refuse to let this sort of thing slide. No, it isn't football, but many of the same points still stand, especially when you consider that top college basketball teams are made primarily up with 18-19 year olds...vs football, which is mostly upperclassmen.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:50 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,828,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Vegas
Austin
Birmingham
Louisville

These cities are also great for anything sports related too btw. I think the Women's Soccer team is playing Australia in Bham next month.
Yes, this is a great sports town. We need to build a nice venue and hopefully land an NBA team someday soon. A team here could potential draw on the whole state as a fanbase.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:40 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,999,805 times
Soon you can cross Las Vegas off the list:

Las Vegas, Quebec City advance in NHL expansion process - San Jose Mercury News

NHL expansion moves to final stage - Arena Digest

NHL to Las Vegas *if* the NHL ultimately decides to expand (which they likely will). That leaves Austin and Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City