Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,457,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
NYC will win. It wins every thread it is vs. a city. Some threads get slights, bashing and mocks to a city. This is one that probably will bring them.... if not at first? Some will boast for NYC better then Chicago for anything. Some see conceding anything? Or sharing.... with Chicago as demeaning to NYC which MUST be TOPS on ALL.

But one thing Chicago wins.... none can deny is its Downtown especially. Is way cleaner then Midtown Manhattan or may as well say... anywhere in Manhattan.
It'll win because (for some/most?) it's the better city perhaps? If money weren't an issue which city would people pick. . . . ?

No denying Chicago is a world class city. It's Downtown is Top 5, if not Top 3 in America and ranks nicely on the global scale. It's a true power house.

Though when comparing to NYC . . . . . it's cute.

It's all personal preference with a thread like this though. So it shouldn't be too much bashing. Some will say Chicago is more manageable/less intense, which is true. Everyone can willingly agree it's also cleaner overall than NYC. But food, shopping, fashion, diversity, education, luxury, urbanity, etc. . . are those things really debatable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:51 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,294,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Manhattan has some pretty clean areas, especially south of Canal and the Upper East/West Sides. So I'm not buying your statement that downtown Chicago is cleaner than "anywhere" in Manhattan. I'll give you NYC is dirtier overall, but no need to make exaggerated claims
There you go.... they would say some exception negates any claim for Chicago. Never say ALL.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
It'll win because (for some/most?) it's the better city perhaps? If money weren't an issue which city would people pick. . . . ?
No denying Chicago is a world class city. It's Downtown is Top 5, if not Top 3 in America and ranks nicely on the global scale. It's a true power house.

It's all personal preference with a thread like this though. So it shouldn't be too much bashing. Some will say Chicago is more manageable/less intense, which is true. Everyone can willingly agree it's also cleaner overall than NYC. But food, shopping, fashion, diversity, education, luxury, urbanity, etc. . . are those things really debatable?
Debatable yes. Shopping yes. There are those not Chicago homers. Who would choose Chicago's North Michigan Ave over NYC's Fifth Ave. No gated stores after closing in Downtown Chicago either. I HATE TO SEE SHUTTERED AND GATED STOREFRONTS.

On a cheap Bus trip to Manhattan on a Sunday. Had the bus leave us off in the Jewelers District. It was all Gated... and some blocks of Fifth Ave. Not to mention garbage bags off of Times Square. Because no alleys to put them in.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Quote:
There you go.... they would say some exception negates any claim for Chicago. Never say ALL.
Hey, you're the one who made the ridiculous claim. Own it, and don't try to paint me with a broad brush.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Debatable yes. Shopping yes. There are those not Chicago homers. Who would choose Chicago's North Michigan Ave over NYC's Fifth Ave. No gated stores after closing in Downtown Chicago either. I HATE TO SEE SHUTTERED AND GATED STOREFRONTS.

On a cheap Bus trip to Manhattan on a Sunday. Had the bus leave us off in the Jewelers District. It was all Gated... and some blocks of Fifth Ave. Not to mention garbage bags off of Times Square. Because no alleys to put them in.
You let us know when Chicago gets an Alexander McQueen Flagship store or better yet a boutique. Also tell us when Chicago gets a Balmain location. New York is the first and only American store confirmed.

Madison is superior to Fifth Ave btw, next time roam from 57th Street to 72nd Street.

I already said Chicago is cleaner too. I guess having the equivalent population of one of NYC boroughs does pay off after all

Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 PM

Shopping debatable? Really? Lol.
Lets look at the rents around the world. . . .

The 10 most expensive shopping strips for retailers around the world - Fortune

1. Upper 5th Avenue, New York City $3,500 per square foot
2. Hong Kong, Causeway Bay $2,735
3. Times Square, New York $2,300
4. Central, Hong Kong $2,164
5. Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong $2,063
6. Champs-Elysées, Paris $1,556
7. Madison Avenue, New York
8. New Bond Street, London $1,216
9. Pitt Street Mall, Sydney $1,016
10. Lower 5th Avenue, New York $1,000

Quote:
Just to show you how expensive New York is within the U.S. in terms of retail rent, the next most expensive shopping strip is Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills with annual rent of $675 per square foot, and San Francisco's Union Square at $650.
I guess Chicago comes after those two perhaps. I'm sure someone can look up the average sales too if you'd like. Shopping is just not debatable between Chicago and New York.

Like I said in my first post . . .

Quote:

Old 08-18-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Hey, you're the one who made the ridiculous claim. Own it, and don't try to paint me with a broad brush.
We shall see how the tread goes? If someone says Chicago has this or that one prefers or is better? If this thread isn't deleted by a Moderator. I created one Philadelphia vs. Atlanta. It was deleted by the claim there were others like it. Yet I did not see any.

I will maintain Chicago's Downtown is cleaner then Midtown Manhattan. If I did include all Manhattan? I could include all the North Shore of Chicago.... which is still very Urban ALMOST MANHATTAN LEVEL and Wealthy. I would still say Chicago was cleaner. Again it has Alleys actually in almost all the city, that helps. Also my comment on gated and Shutters stores in Manhattan. I expected better then see them by Fifth Ave. Must be banned in downtown Chicago? You don't see them. Only in bad neighborhoods did I see them there. Most I did not.
NYC wins on street food. Because Chicago is too strict on food preparation. But you do see them in Latino neighborhoods. Only a couple allowed by Downtown Chicago. One is by its Shed Aquarium. Authentic Chicago dog I got was great there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Shopping debatable? Really? Lol.
Lets look at the rents around the world. . . .
The 10 most expensive shopping strips for retailers around the world - Fortune

1. Upper 5th Avenue, New York City $3,500 per square foot
2. Hong Kong, Causeway Bay $2,735
3. Times Square, New York $2,300
4. Central, Hong Kong $2,164
5. Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong $2,063
6. Champs-Elysées, Paris $1,556
7. Madison Avenue, New York
8. New Bond Street, London $1,216
9. Pitt Street Mall, Sydney $1,016
10. Lower 5th Avenue, New York $1,000
I guess Chicago comes after those two perhaps. I'm sure someone can look up the average sales too if you'd like. Shopping is just not debatable between Chicago and New York.

Like I said in my first post . . .
Honestly.... everyone knows NYC's Key Real Estate is through the roof... Nothing new. Always was.
1. Fifth Avenue: $3,052 per sq. ft.
2. Madison Avenue: $1,325 per sq. ft.
3. Rodeo Drive: $450 per sq. ft.
4. Union Square in San Francisco: $375 per sq. ft
5. Michigan Avenue in Chicago: $328 per sq. ft.
6. Newbury Street in Boston: $200 per sq. ft.
7. Las Vegas Boulevard: $200 per sq. ft.
8. Kalakaua Avenue in Honolulu: $122 per sq. ft.
9. Walnut Street in Philadelphia: $107 per sq. ft
Photo Gallery: 9 Most Expensive Retail Streets in the U.S. | National Real Estate Investor

I DO NOT NEED TO LESSEN NYC TO DEFEND CHICAGO AS MY FAVORITE I ADOPTED AS MY SECOND HOMETOWN.

Last edited by steeps; 08-18-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,681,023 times
Chicago vs Brooklyn is a better comparison or Downtown Chicago vs Midtown Manhattan, Chicago is the original skyscraper city in America & has a food scene that's superior to most place in America.

But Manhattan is the prize here,It's hard to beat or go against unless it's London ,Paris or Los Angeles.

What makes Manhattan unique is the 24/7 lifestyle, it doesn't have natural beauty or great weather like L.A /Miami but it has a lifestyle thats truly 24/7 ,Kinda like how the Las Vegas strip is but on a bigger scale.But nothing is fact everyone has a different opinion.

One thing Chicago does have over N.y is how the bulls crushed the knicks in the 90s lol

Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,392,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Chicago vs Brooklyn is a better comparison.
Yes, Chicago vs. Brooklyn would probably be more reasonable. Similar sizes and offerings.

Chicago vs. NYC will not be a reasonable comparison and we already know the outcome.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Chi and NYC are so similar, yet so different (if that makes any sense). I prefer Chi mainly because of two reasons: its cheaper, and just as fun w/o all the NYC headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City