Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would be best to live in for a couple of years to experience a new place
Washington, D.C./alexandria/arlington 24 42.11%
Atlanta 17 29.82%
New Orleans 16 28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:55 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,485,042 times

Advertisements

Which city do you think would be best to live in for a year or two( in terms of just wanting to experience a different city before going back to grad school). Looking for honest opinions of all three cities, particularly from people who have lived in them/spent a good amount of time in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM

632 posts, read 935,798 times
If you want a different/unique experience, it would be helpful to know where you currently are.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
If you want a different type of city experience, it would be helpful to know what city you're currently residing in, as well as your preferences in a city, the line of work you're in or trying to break into, etc.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM

401 posts, read 651,901 times
I know only D.C. It's an alright city. Public transportation is efficient, there are quite a few things to visit (National Mall and all the museums, Georgetown, Alexandria). It has nice neighborhood like Columbia Heights or U street area. Downtown DC around chinatown is quite vibrant. But don't expect an exceptional city, it's nice and all, but it lacks soul and local culture. Also have in mind that the black community is quite big in DC. And the people are not so nice.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
If you want a different/unique experience, it would be helpful to know where you currently are.
LOL sorry I forgot to say.
I'm in L.A. and I currently hate LA for a multitude of reasons. The cities charm that once was has withered away.
I'm in the media industry, and I prefer a city that is vibrant, has great food and culture, is somewhat clean, and has history as well as a great nightlife.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I know only D.C. It's an alright city. Public transportation is efficient, there are quite a few things to visit (National Mall and all the museums, Georgetown, Alexandria). It has nice neighborhood like Columbia Heights or U street area. Downtown DC around chinatown is quite vibrant. But don't expect an exceptional city, it's nice and all, but it lacks soul and local culture. Also have in mind that the black community is quite big in DC. And the people are not so nice.
Race is not that important to me.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I'm in L.A. and I currently hate LA for a multitude of reasons. The cities charm that once was has withered away.
I'm in the media industry, and I prefer a city that is vibrant, has great food and culture, is somewhat clean, and has history as well as a great nightlife.
What is it that you don't like about LA?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What is it that you don't like about LA?
This is just my opinion, I realize that a lot of people like it but I don't like the horrific pollution, the lack of transportation, superficial people, the huge sprawl, the lack of seasons and or rain, how rude everyone is, lack of an urban core, how rundown the city looks outside of the West part, and the lack of American History/historical sites(the last factor is not the biggest factor)

Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM

401 posts, read 651,901 times
Quote:
Well DC is clean, it has OK food (depends on your budget really like everywhere), it lacks culture IMO, it's like a city that is neither northern or southern, a strange blend. It has some history and museums but it doesn't feel historic, its nightlife is ok nothing great.

As for the race comment, well the black community has a huge impact on the vibe DC has, so this was just informative. IMO blacks in DC are very community focused and not so nice to non black people.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM

632 posts, read 935,798 times
Quote:

Based on this, I wouldn't recommend Atlanta. I love Atlanta, but to me it's becoming a lot like LA. It spread out with multiple business districts, the entertainment industry (music, tv, and film) are big, and much of the culture is about flashy cars, clothes, and houses. On the other hand, the food and nightlife are good, it's fairly clean, and there is history.

DC has ok food, but it's not known for any cuisine. It's clean, but to me it's kind of blah...

So I'd recommend New Orleans. Nightlife, great food, and a lot of history. The only thing is I'm not sure about the media industry there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City